Why I like staying at the Holiday Inn Express...

RowdyRebel

The Drury Inns do a pretty good job of converting the breakfast bar to a mini cocktail lounge also. You do pay for the perk,but what the hell!     Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I try to stay at Holiday Inn Express when ever I travel. most are recently upgraded and I have yet to find one that is a sh*t hole. they are not too pricey either. Over my last 15 years of travel I find if a room is less than $70 per night its likely just one of those towel head rat holes. Many of nights I would just stay in the truck than the hotel my penny pinching boss would pick. As I got older and wiser I just picked my own hotels at the race tracks as I had my motorcycle with me where ever I went. 

Yeah its funny when I'm on biz in bigger cities I'll stay at a Hilton or Sheridan or even a higher brand name, but when I'm in less urban areas its Holiday Inn Express all the way.  Central Tennessee, Western Illinois,  Austin and Houston, Between Louisville and Indianapolis, always a Holiday Inn Express.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

6 hours ago, RowdyRebel said:

No biscuits & gravy, though. Guess I'm too far north for that. Gravy was replaced with egg white omlettes.  Still had the other omlettes too, just have to do without my B&G.

Too far some where,..........but it wasn't north. They always have b&g at the ones in the north west!......now if you could just get beer served with them !:D

I used to stay @ Super 8 / Days Inn, and it was really getting to be hit & miss on quality. Pay $75-$80 for some of them and I've stayed at nicer Motel 6's for $35-$40 than I was getting @ twice the price. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once because it was the only hotel available where I needed it and was expecting a MUCH higher price. Turned out to be cheaper than some lesser quality hotels if they give a "business rate", and I've tried not to go back to the lesser quality hotels. I told 'em when I signed on here that I don't mind an occasional night out on the road, but it needs to pay enough to justify a room at the Holiday Inn Express. If it doesn't pay enough for me to get a decent room, it doesn't pay enough to keep me away from home. I've only broken that rule once...stayed at a Super 8. Made an exception because they gave me a jacuzzi suite for the regular room rate. Called the wife up: "Hey, baby! What you doing?"

"Winding down in front of the TV"

"Yeah? So am I! ...but I'm in a hot tub!"

She was a little jealous.:D

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

When I started in the sign business we used to do a lot of traveling to do installs. The boss would give us his American Express card to stay wherever and eat whatever we wanted.

He said we were away from home making him money so we should at least eat good. Steak, lobster king crab, scrapple:o, we were spoiled.

Now I 'm happy if there is a waffle maker in the breakfast room.

You might want to look into joining some organisations... I get back more than my Farmer's Union membership in discounts every year. Farm Bureau has some good discounts on new GM trucks, IIRC, and many groups get motel discounts. But the 20% Farmer's Union discount is the most generous I've seen lately, though a couple decades ago Best Western had a real generous trucker's discount booklet.

On 2/23/2017 at 5:16 AM, 66dc75 said:
When I started in the sign business we used to do a lot of traveling to do installs. The boss would give us his American Express card to stay wherever and eat whatever we wanted.
He said we were away from home making him money so we should at least eat good. Steak, lobster king crab, scrapple[emoji33], we were spoiled.
Now I 'm happy if there is a waffle maker in the breakfast room.

That's about all I get but the company pays for it so I'll take the waffles lol...bob

We were flooded out of our home during tropical storm Debbie in 2012  stayed at Holiday Inn Express for three days 90bucks a night was at the end of the tourist season! Top buck of course! However had a full breakfast bar and a lady who would cook your food to order if desired! When I was still driving I would sometimes have to go out of state to pick up a tractor in a rental car, discovered that if a motel was owned by an Indian or middle eastern person (90 percent!) They would negotiate the price if you asked! After all, where most of them were born it was assumed you never paid the first asking price on any product or service! Rowdy on the subject of air bags having been in the emergency wrecker business and arriving at  the accident often before the police or paramedics I believe in air bags! Also anti lock brakes and a rear camera!  That's it! I understand that the newest cars are going to be required to have automatic braking and lane drift warnings! This is a manifestation of the insurance lobby who have our legislators bought and paid for! A defensive driver who keeps the proper following distance and is not distracted can avoid the majority of accidents! These incompetence mitigation devices only raise the price of new cars !

• Like 1

On March 2, 2017 at 11:49 AM, mowerman said:

All our new trucks have automatic braking and lane alerts. Wonder what happens on icy pavement...... IDIOTS...bob

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Our one truck would pick up overhead signs sometimes and put it in a panic stop for no reason.      I think freightliner picked it up with a wrecker because nobody wanted to drive it.  

• Like 1

On the subject of brakes locking up,in the early 2000s I was on the cross Bronx with about 8000in the wagon and my emergency side glad hand fell off! Yikes! Trailer went into the right lane which was fortunately empty! From that point on even with new glad hand rubbers every time I ran the east coast I duct taped the glad hands!😁 I'm not a religious person,but I know on more than one occasion the angels have had their hand on my shoulder!

Read somewhere that there was some model of Acura wagon with automatic braking that was prone to lock its brakes when it saw a certain type of road sign or one of those delineaters on the roadside! They hushed it up REAL quick! Not surprisingly! I have a suggestion for the legislators and truckload executives that would reduce accidents exponentially, it's called defensive driving! But that would be too simple in our culture of protecting us from ourselves!