Sears sells Craftsman brand

kscarbel2

Guess it's like crank starts newspapers and home phones lotta stuff gets pushed aside but Sears and robucks guess guess they will be missed .......Most of us have a lotta good memories of them....Kinda sucks best of luck to them.....We only have 1 in my area. I never go there simply cause it's too far and they don't open till 1100. Doesn't help me much getting outa work most nights at 700 am

15 hours ago, Underdog said:

The bulk of my hand tools are the original Craftsman Mechanic's tool set(800 piece I believe) I bought from the catalog in 1988. I still use the top chest, the bottom has been upsized and side cabinets added over the years.

Got this Craftsman box in 1974 as part of a set- still have most of the tools. The roll cabinet is still in Appomattox at my late father in law's place. I'm going to go get it as soon as I get another shed.

DSCN6665.JPG

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

8 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

always used to see either a Sears and Roebuck or Montgomery Ward catalog at every farm auction I would attend as a kid ( the Kelley blue book of the day) the old guys would be checking prices and evaluating the condition of stuff compared to buying new, always thought that was kinda different......I had most of the prices memorized, especially the Christmas catalog, I knew the price of every toy!.....and would remind my parents constantly :D

a.k.a. "Monkey Wards"

• Like 1

On January 8, 2017 at 3:48 AM, other dog said:

Got this Craftsman box in 1974 as part of a set- still have most of the tools. The roll cabinet is still in Appomattox at my late father in law's place. I'm going to go get it as soon as I get another shed.

DSCN6665.JPG

Fyi.   I've returned a 1/2 drive metric socket set that was in a car fire and they gladly exchanged them for me.    

Don't get to excited over there new ratchets.      Mine are nothing like my dads that he had before me.       I actually like my harbor freight ones alot better then my craftsmans

Edited by Hobert62

On 1/8/2017 at 4:48 PM, other dog said:

Man, sure are hard on your tools.  Looks like they went through a fire.:D

13 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

Don't get to excited over there new ratchets.      Mine are nothing like my dads that he had before me.       I actually like my harbor freight ones alot better then my craftsmans

wear your heavy leather knuckle protectors if you put more than a little torque on any of the junk from any one but the big name brands ` craftsman & harbor frt. don`t fit in that list anymore      <_<

• Like 1

bycycle hubs      spokes      bearings     coaster brake parts     western auto was the only place i knew of in the fifties where you could get all this stuff to fix the old bikes up after you rode double down a realy steep hill and burned your rear wheel hub and brakes up. almost all bycycle`s from back then had   new departure hubs front and rear

Yes, it formerly was New Process Gear. I remember when I graduated in high school in 2000 I considered going to work there as the wages were some of the highest around. The plant had recently undergone an expansion but you really couldn't get a foot in the door without knowing someone. Fast forward 12 years and NVG was shuttered completely. From boom to bust. One of the oldest companies in town, 124 years old. :(

There was an unofficial test track of sorts about behind the plant that was viewable from the nearest road. From time to time you would catch a glimpse of the newest Jeeps doing laps.

The water tower from original plant still stands in the center of Syracuse. Someone started to paint it over it a few years back but stopped halfway through. 

6132323484_ceda818792_b.jpg

Edited by DailyDiesel

My first new cab and chassis was a Chevy C30 1970 had a "new process " 4speed the shifter forks bent when it had16k on it! Was a wrecker locked in gear while lowering a car in the scrap yard! The scrap yard owner lent me his raggedy looking but good running fifties five ton "cornbinder" wrecker to tow home my "new" Chevy,very embarrassing! Had no idea where the tranny originated.

Brocky, to the best of my knowledge, Lipe was always based on the west side of the city. Most of the original building still stands near the corner of Geddess and Fayette. It's been repurposed of course but it's still there. Crouse-Hinds, aka Cooper Industries, aka Eaton Crouse-Hinds. That factory is still alive and well.