1983 Mack brakes

Bpfd982

Hi guys, on our department we have a 1983 Mack for our pumper with disc air brakes, none of us have much experience with this type of setup and they need to be adjusted, so looking for some info and pointers on where to start, thanks Joe 

IMG_1400.JPG

Disc brake calipers need to "float" so they self center on the rotor.  Sounds like the caliper has seized to the caliper bracket.  Depending on the brand of your system the slide can be lubricated using caliper grease or anti seize compound.  Bendix recommends white grease on their guide pins.

http://www.cbsparts.ca/admin/bulletins/SD-23-7541_US_003 rfs.pdf

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

what j hancock said.... based on your info I am leaning toward them just needing a minor repair.

got to ask a dumb question... who has been inspecting/servicing the brakes for the last 30 years? or did you just get it?

low mileage vehicles such as fire trucks need a calendar based inspection program added to the normal mileage based items to cover corrosion and like problems.

can you take a picture of the caliper so we can determine the brand and era, there may be other issues to consider if the adjusters are odd ball....

BC Mack

• Like 1

I'll swing up there hopefully today and snap some pictures,  we've had the truck for quiet sometime, but that's not saying it gets the proper maintenance, me and another guy have taken it on to make sure it continually lasts as long as we need it to, both experienced with air brake systems, just this type is new to both of us, thanks for the input so far I'll post some pics of what they are asap 

• 4 years later...

On 6/1/2021 at 9:34 PM, Dieselfool said:

So what happened?

^^^^ pretty good Thread Mine....

The OP hasn't logged in since December 2016.. Fair chance We'll never know..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -