Power steering pump

keg1

85 R model power steering was making oil. Changed pump with one off parts truck seemed ok for a couple days then the same thing. I found the one line was collapsed, it was just rubber hose so I replaced all lines and it was ok for about 3 weeks now it's making oil again and although it's not full it's pushing oil out of the reservoir.  I figure it has to be sucking it out of compressor but don't know why. It's only about an inch over full so I don't know how it's coming out of reservoir and running down frame. Any ideas?

All the air bled out of the system? That will cause that symptom.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

22 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

is the filter plugged,? is the reservoir  plumed properly? is there a dip stick on the canister fill plug? is the oil black?

I never knew there was a filter in them. Replaced it today. It has a dipstick and yes the oil is black. 

I will venture to guess that changing the filter will resolve this issue but I would also change the oil as well should be (motor oil) the oil should stay semi clean not crank case black if it does turn crank case black I would take a hard look at the compressor as to why its not draining back to the pan, the coupling area of the power steering pump should not be getting pressurized crank case oil.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gearhead204 said:

I will venture to guess that changing the filter will resolve this issue but I would also change the oil as well should be (motor oil) the oil should stay semi clean not crank case black if it does turn crank case black I would take a hard look at the compressor as to why its not draining back to the pan, the coupling area of the power steering pump should not be getting pressurized crank case oil.

When I replaced all the lines I put fresh oil in and I wondered why it got black so quick. After I found the line that was kinked shut I figured it couldn't get oil and somehow was sucking it out of the compressor. Worked fine for a couple weeks and then started again. Thanks for info on filter. Filled with fresh oil and I'll try it out next week.