CL 700 Bad day

So this dumptruck got put on its side on a soft shoulder.  Wondering if anyone has any input on whether or not this a reparable injury for offroad use.  It parallelogramed the cab slightly such that the driver's window is popped out in the top corner, but other than that the damage is all on the passenger side.  Always a good idea to remember that end dumps can't side dump!  Thanks.

red mack cab.jpg

In todays world the answer would be no BUT I think you may well be surprised how good you can get that cab to look with just blocks of wood and jacks and some time 

What ever you dont use a hammer you will stretch the steel and then it will be stuffed 

Paul

• Like 1

Why replace that cab when an experienced body man can repair it ?

Unless you can obtain a cab extremely cheap..........but then you still have the time-consuming task of swapping over.

I real body man can bang that out. Otherwise, panels should still be available.

Patch the fiberglass sunvisor and buy a right windshield (9QT521AM).

And isn't it possible to swap out the Maxi-Glas door with the later steel door, meaning, if you can find a good used door of either type.

On 6/24/2016 at 3:25 AM, kscarbel2 said:

Why replace that cab when an experienced body man can repair it ?

Unless you can obtain a cab extremely cheap..........but then you still have the time-consuming task of swapping over.

I real body man can bang that out. Otherwise, panels should still be available.

Patch the fiberglass sunvisor and buy a right windshield (9QT521AM).

And isn't it possible to swap out the Maxi-Glas door with the later steel door, meaning, if you can find a good used door of either type.

With body shop labor rates and being the cab is tweaked it'll cost an arm and a leg to repair. And it'll never be exactly right. There will always be wind noise or rattles. To swap the cabs doesn't take talent like body work does. Any one of us can change a cab out. But as for body work, a average fool like me could never do that on my own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirtymilkman said:

With body shop labor rates and being the cab is tweaked it'll cost an arm and a leg to repair. And it'll never be exactly right. There will always be wind noise or rattles. To swap the cabs doesn't take talent like body work does. Any one of us can change a cab out. But as for body work, a average fool like me could never do that on my own. 

Average for labor rate basic body work in VA averages $53 an hour, Structural work is $65 per hour, prep and paint  labor is $40 per hour, Chassis labor is $70 per and mechanical is $90 per hour. Add the cost of body panels, paint and misc hardware and glass you will be in it deeper than a cab swap by far. Plus figure the down time in months not weeks. My humble opinion, cab swap.   Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...