MH Air Tank

farmer52

The RH steel air tank on my MH has a leak caused by rust under the support strap.  The tank has two compartments.  The approximate tank size is 12" dia X 16-1/2" length (welded seam to seam).  The overall length would be about 19".  I would like to find an aluminum tank as a replacement but open to anything that is in good condition.  I can get a new one from Mack but $3xx.  I am also going to check a couple local truck salvage yards to see if I can "match" one from another truck brand.

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The RH steel air tank on my MH has a leak caused by rust under the support strap.  The tank has two compartments.  The approximate tank size is 12" dia X 16-1/2" length (welded seam to seam).  The overall length would be about 19".  I would like to find an aluminum tank as a replacement but open to anything that is in good condition.  I can get a new one from Mack but $3xx.  I am also going to check a couple local truck salvage yards to see if I can "match" one from another truck brand.

I have the same problem, Ken. I ended up buying a complete parts truck, but got a good air tank. I did order one from Mack according to the serial number, turned out to be wrong tank.

My old tank is too far gone, but was patch welded once. Maybe an option for you?

Gregg

UPDATE:

Struck out at the local salvage yards.  I been told the Mack replacement tank may not have the correct ports and/or locations.  So the search is still on for a good steel or aluminum RH dual compartment tank.

Ken

Tried to "band aid" the tank today.  It was to the point of not holding any air.  So I pulled the tank and found a corroded hole about 1/4" diameter between the aluminum step and tank.  Several other places with bulges just waiting to leak.  The date code on this tank is 1991 so it is likely the original tank.  I found a replacement tank (date code 1999) in good condition and will install on Monday.  Going to put a rubber insulator between the step and strap.  Hopefully this will minimize any galvanic corrosion.  I ordered a new replacement tank from Barry and if the ports match I will buy it as a spare (insurance).  I am speculating the LH tank is next.  If anyone finds a spare LH or RH tank in good condition, please let me know.  Thanks!P6120666.JPG

• Like 2

Ken

On 6/13/2016 at 6:44 AM, farmer52 said:

Tried to "band aid" the tank today.  It was to the point of not holding any air.  So I pulled the tank and found a corroded hole about 1/4" diameter between the aluminum step and tank.  Several other places with bulges just waiting to leak.  The date code on this tank is 1991 so it is likely the original tank.  I found a replacement tank (date code 1999) in good condition and will install on Monday.  Going to put a rubber insulator between the step and strap.  Hopefully this will minimize any galvanic corrosion.  I ordered a new replacement tank from Barry and if the ports match I will buy it as a spare (insurance).  I am speculating the LH tank is next.  If anyone finds a spare LH or RH tank in good condition, please let me know.  Thanks!

I have both on my parts truck. Pass side doesn't look to old. Drivers side has some surface rust but I don't think it's to bad.

On 6/5/2016 at 6:28 PM, farmer52 said:

Did you get a price from Watts?

Aside from receding demand for MH/RWI reservoirs, Volvo parts pricing policy is responsible for the price you were quoted. But I'm sure the folks at Watts would work with you.

Aren't those air tanks almost interchangable with RW2 Superliner?

Currently I have both tanks off my MH memoved for blasting/painting but lucky they do look having potential.

Edited by Vladislav

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

3 hours ago, Vladislav said:

Aren't those air tanks almost interchangable with RW2 Superliner?

Currently I have both tanks off my MH memoved for blasting/painting but lucky they do look having potential.

Yes, MH and RWI (US market 2nd generation Super-Liner) utilize the same chassis and air reservoirs.

• Like 1

On Saturday I picked up a new tank (22QE31178M) from Barry.  Perfect match.  Perhaps I will try my "luck" on the LH tank.

UPDATE: posted the wrong part number for the RH tank....correct number is now listed.

• Like 2

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

Probably not still good, but I noticed an MH at the Midway scrap yard along 78 when I was coming home from Macungie.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 1 month later...

Still looking for a nice used LH single chamber steel air tank (part number 22QE1269M or 22QE4907M).  I will be at Trucktoberfest, Hagerstown Power Day, Winchester, and Gerhart's.

Carl - I may need to contact Dave.  Midway tanks are gone.

Ken