Bearing race removal question

I am putting new bearings and races in the hubs on the superliner these hubs are aluminum. I cannot get the old races to budge using a bearing race punch usually when this happens in steel hubs I run a weld bead on the inside of the race and let them cool then they become easy to remove. Can I do this with the hubs being aluminum I would run maybe three or four half inch long beads in the races and see how they react I don't want to possibly stretch the aluminum then the races wont fit tight when they cool any thoughts on this?

Mack's recommended practice is to heat the hub in an oven. The steel and aluminum expand differently, allowing removal of the races. If you're quick, you can install the new races before the hub cools. Best to use your shop oven for this though... Stinking up the wife's kitchen with gear oil is not necessarily a popular option.

• 2 weeks later...

Although not a truck hub, when I used to replace the races on the race car (Porsche 930) I'd heat the hub in the oven (if I had the hubs off the car) or with a torch and they'd pop out and then I'd take the new races out of the refridge and drop em right in.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

struth you blokes need to toughen up a bit I always use the oven in side Princess has never said anything and it doesnt stink the house up either I do use a old oven tray though gotta be a bit thoughtful

Always helps if the Princess has gone to town when Im doing it she knows what has happened when she gets home but she has got used to it over the years just gotta make sure the its nice and clean before you chuck it ion the oven 

Paul

My wife has 3 main rules for me and the kitchen appliances Don't bake motorcycle cylinders in her convection oven to cure wrinkle paint, don't use the mixer for gel coat and tint and don't put parts in the freezer wrapped in freezer paper and forget about them. 

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE