Valueliner, Just curious is all.

I'm talking about the American version.... are the cabs and hoods specific to those trucks?

What was the general intention with that particular model?

Looks like the cab sits higher on them. . .

I see the steering box is mounted on the outside of the frame too. . .?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

The cab on both is based on the CA 49 but the mounts for the VL are a little different and the interior packages were pretty fancy.  The hood is different because the rear lower section of the fenders were mounted to the frame of the truck on the VL.

Mack built it as conventional with weight saving components.

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

23 minutes ago, j hancock said:

Found the picture showing the hood emblem, outboard steering box and the hood/fender detail.

100_1244.JPG

Can you tell me anything about the logic involving the outboard steering box? Every other 'r' model other than the early Supers/Cruisers have some variation of an inboard steering box. Right?

Doesn't the value liner have a straight frame, and the r and superliner have a frame that spreads from the tanks forward.  Maybe that's why the box is outside the frame.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, j hancock said:

The cab on both is based on the CA 49 but the mounts for the VL are a little different and the interior packages were pretty fancy.  The hood is different because the rear lower section of the fenders were mounted to the frame of the truck on the VL.

Mack built it as conventional with weight saving components.

A buddy of mine bought that value liner from jakebrake86, & on the hood that risen part of the hood that goes across the front where the dog stands also goes down the center of the hood; & makes it look good too

MACK U.S. Dealer Spec card.  

MackValueLinerDealercard-vi.jpg

MackValueLinerDealercard2-vi.jpg

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The Value-Liner  was built  lighter than its "east  coast" R model brother. Spec for  spec, it was lighter due to the extensive  use of aluminium,where as the R would  use steel. A big seller all around, I for one was sad to see  it go. The introduction  of  the  CH  signaled the end of the Value-Liner. An R model vocational  chassis known as  the  Western Contractor  replaced it in the dump/mixer field. They  were few and far between though,  as I feel MACK did not promote  them very well. The  salesman  that sold me my '90 RD, did not even know of the Western  Contractor  until I told him about it. I don't  think  they  had the weight  savings as the  Value-Liner  did over the standard  RD,but we're still  lighter than than the  RD. I did like the Value-Liner,as many of  you  did.       Al    (Western Contractor  models shown in pictures both straight  and sloped hood RD's)

MACK_TRUCKS_SEPT_01_2007_LOS_ANGELES_IMAGE_PATRICE_RAUNET_HOLLYWOOD-1.jpg

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

On 3/20/2016 at 11:18 AM, 41chevy said:

Look at that Reyco Suspension..... hard to imagine that on a Mack... Light weight again I suppose?

So the RS/RL700 is an extended hood version of the RS/RL600? Am I understanding that correctly?

3 hours ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

Look at that Reyco Suspension..... hard to imagine that on a Mack... Light weight again I suppose?

So the RS/RL700 is an extended hood version of the RS/RL600? Am I understanding that correctly?

Yup.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Think "Rubber Duck"

Here are some of the differences between a 600 series and a 700 series .    Paul

mack-rs-700-l-06.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE

I see the grill surround dips down into the front bumper on the 700 unlike the 600.  It was only the 600's that were referred to as 'Valueliners" though? I don't recall ever seeing an extended hood labeled as a Valueliner.

that nice silver and black one use to be Doug Fetterly's truck. my understanding is the Rl600 and rl700 had nothing in common. the RL700 was a long hood, replaced by the Superliner. the RL600valueliner was just that, a cheaper lighter truck. they both offered the 300+ and roadrangers but the frames, cabs, hoods were totally different.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't consider the Valuliner a cheaper unit. It was built to go head to head  on the  western coast with Peterbilt, Kenworth and Freightliner by offering lighter weight components and a full range of axles, engines and transmissions. Haywards thought was less weight = more freight.

Exactly but the RS/RL7** was again meant to compete with the Petes, KW's and Freightliners until the RW hit the bricks. Kind of a stop gap.

MACKS  intro of the Superliner called it a direct relacement for the old 700 series and shows the new RW with the old RL/RS700

P.T.CHESHIRE

The only major difference between the 600 and 700 was the length of the hood, otherwise they were pretty much the same. The 700's longer hood allowed for the installation of some of the bigger engines like Mack's V8 and big block Cummins and Cat 6s, and more than a few 700s were ordered with the Mack 6s, even though they would fit in the 600... I suspect some buyers wanted more room to work on the engine or liked the looks  the longer hood.  The "Valueliner" name was kind of dumb, as it cost more than a standard R model because it came with premium lightweight components.

The only major difference between the 600 and 700 was the length of the hood, otherwise they were pretty much the same. The 700's longer hood allowed for the installation of some of the bigger engines like Mack's V8 and big block Cummins and Cat 6s, and more than a few 700s were ordered with the Mack 6s, even though they would fit in the 600... I suspect some buyers wanted more room to work on the engine or liked the looks  the longer hood.  The "Valueliner" name was kind of dumb, as it cost more than a standard R model because it came with premium lightweight components.

8 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Were there any Valueliners "600's" with Non-Mack power plants?..... Seems the few I've seen have all been the 2v 300+ (or 350?) Mack six. When was the 600 Valueliner discontinued?

I've seen plenty of hybrid 700's

And I have to agree, it seems a little counter-intuitive to call them Valueliner when they were more expensive to buy. One can only assume that the "Value" was only realized in the long-term, and only if you were hauling by the ton!

On 3/21/2016 at 9:21 PM, Outbehindthebarn said:

Were there any Valueliners "600's" with Non-Mack power plants?..... Seems the few I've seen have all been the 2v 300+ (or 350?) Mack six. When was the 600 Valueliner discontinued?

I've seen plenty of hybrid 700's

And I have to agree, it seems a little counter-intuitive to call them Valueliner when they were more expensive to buy. One can only assume that the "Value" was only realized in the long-term, and only if you were hauling by the ton!

Kind of like the MACK Interstater F model . I have a brochure but have never seen a real one.

RL RS 600A.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE