JC Taylor has always been outstanding to me, but I have recently heard through the grapevine that they will no longer insure trailers. Give them a call, if that is false and they will do it, go with them, I am confident you will be thrilled with both their service and rates.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I have JC Taylor for my antiques for years but when I called to add another one on, they said they are not taking NEW policy's but because I already had one, they will just add on to it. With antique's, you CAN NOT use it for any commercial use, transport goods for resale, or any kind of business. It's to be used for pleasure and shows only.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Trailers do not require insurance in California. Insure the truck with JC Taylor and don't say anything about pulling a trailer.

Not a cool thing to do. What happens if you get into a wreck and they deny coverage? And you are left hanging to dry for not only your costs but the costs of the other guy(s) because YOU were at fault?

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Haggerty Insurance. They were the least expensive when I changed over from USAA out of all the truck insurance companys when I had to find new insurance for my trucks. I originally had USAA but when I tried to add a 1970 KW they said the truck was to big I said you have two other Macks of mine insured and they said I need to find diffrent insurance becuase they were not with in the Class they could insure so they gave me Haggertys name and I looked up several other company's here on the site and in the ATHS magazine. Gulfway was twice as much as Haggerty and no trailer, JC Taylor was close close to 1/3rd more and stipulations. I also called Grundy and they stated it was out weigh class.

With Haggerty you can haul a trailer but not a camper. If you want to pull a camper get RV for insurance for both through Progressive. The only other stipulation is they want the truck parked under cover.

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/compare-to-daily-driver-insurance?aff=go_cld_br&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=hagerty&utm_content=85424349644&utm_campaign=Branded+Cold+States&mkwid=shyceFNvV&pcrid=85424349644&kw=hagerty&pmt=p&pdv=c&gclid=Cj0KEQiAr8W2BRD2qbCOv8_H7qEBEiQA1ErTBnM0st3Te_TrjS2VLfAwrR8lbDvrwwXLkRe5fZQKgTUaAgnH8P8HAQ

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

i live in ny will i need dot numbers and hut sticker ?

NYSDMV TRUCK INFO

https://www.dot.ny.gov/divisions/operating/osss/truck/registration-licensing

NY HUT INFO

https://www.oscar.ny.gov/OSCR/OSCRCarrierHome

Antique plates in NY do not need NYDOT numbers according to NYSDMV (see link)Vehicle must be 25 years or older. I was told if you go interstate you MAY need Federal DOT Numbers but seems to be a very grey area depending on the inspector. . .

HUT sticker is questionable, check on the site I gave you, there is / was changes. Some in the Long Island ATHS member trucks have them, some do not. I don't because the truck I have with Antique Plates never leaves the Twin Forks on Eastern Long Island.

Pulling a personal use trailer have "not for hire /personal use only" on cab and trailer as per Suffolk County DOT recommendations. Trailers in NYS need insurance, plates and inspection Vintage, Antique or not, have none you will get ticketed and possibly get it impounded. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I have Hagerty for all my plus 25 year old stuff. Only thing is they do not want to do 35 years and newer class 8 trucks. The reason is that some 30 year old trucks are still out there making money. I had a little problem with my 88 Superliner (28 years old) but they did it once I told said I was dropping them and my other 8 vehicles coverage. You do need to have the truck under cover and preferable in a garage. NO money or any compensation, even a cup of coffee, for hauling ANYTHING. Also if you show the truck at a pay to view event (ATHS show) coverage is in question even if you do not get a dime. The trailer is a different story it is a 2014 so no Hagerty. It is insured with Travelers but only for theft and damage, no liability on trailer, it is all on the power unit. Same deal on the other trailers I have, they can't run into something without the tractor connected to it.

Never heard of the 35 years thing my newest was 1980 so I suppose that is why they never said anything. My concern was with the State has to be 20 years old for the historic plate.

It depends on the state for age, I've lived in AZ and OH both have the 25 years and older historic plate, it is the copper state, plate is actually made of copper. The only way to get a historic plate on a class 8 truck in AZ is no weight. It can not be loaded in any way or hooked to a non historic trailer. Laws in AZ have changed in the last 20 years on this. I have historic plates on the 88 Superliner and want to take the trailer with other two on deck to shows. Can't do it without weight sticker on a commercial plate on tractor, that is state laws. Have weight on registration also for federal laws for state to state passage.

Have regular plates on the 53 with no weight. $190 for 5 years with no restrictions except to hook and haul. Regular and weight on the 65 to hook and haul empty trailer.

The Hagerty insurance truck age is not published but it is there. I almost dropped them over it, their main business is old cars and I have a few.

I researched this pretty well and went with Gulfway. Unlike the others, you can park outside and trailer whatever personal trailer you want with no annual mileage  limit. Pleasant and efficient folks to deal with. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2016 at 10:31 AM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Never heard this. Please cite the relevant Pa. motor vehicle code.

I checked with the local PUC officer, he told me in Pa with antique plates on a truck, if it is not hauling  other "toys", just driven by itself, it needs no numbers at all, doesn't need "not for hire" either. But with antique and hauling toys (no goods for resale allowed with antique plates)  it needs US DOT numbers with "not for hire" posted on the truck.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.