Old Pittsburgh Company

Not much has changed in New York. An HUT (Heavy Use Tax) registration and sticker is still required for any truck over 13,000 lbs. Then you have to pay a tax based on the miles driven in NY State.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

I have an other pict from the museum, it's basically the same but has one of the owners in it. I was born in Pittsburgh in '61'. My dad drove for Eazor for a short time after he got out of the navy. He says that is the main Pittsburgh terminal. He said that when he was there in '62 or 63' most of their tractors were B61's or B67's. Said they also had some H model "cherrypickers". If there is a color pict out there, that would be great to see...

Here are some pictures (credit to the copywrite holder) of Eazors R and F models they ran. At one time they were a big outfit and a big Mack user. I've heard many, not so nice, stories about Eazor. They ran during a couple steel hauler strikes moving steel and were not taken fondly of. Carrying around a rebar for poking radiators or a bottle of Clorox for dumping in fuel tanks was not unheard of and was practiced. I knew some old timers who took part in these activities. I also knew the a driver/mechanic who's task was to go around in Eazor's territory picking up vandalized tractors during that era and pulling them back to Pittsburgh on a lowboy. He always said they could never figure out what seized up those Detriots. The Clorox that's what haha.

post-262-0-90689300-1456200195.jpg

post-262-0-68180900-1456200205_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

isnt there a color pic somewhere in one of the Mack books of some Eazor trucks at a truck stop? turquois green? nice pic, i see it has a Ny tmt tag but strange it looks like it also has a Ny plate

If it was from a NY terminal it would have had a NY commercial plate and a TMT plate.  I have been told they need both no matter what state they were from if they ran through NY but not sure if that is true.  

I remember Eazor well! My wife's sister's boyfriend was a dock superviser for them! He got me a job on the extra list for Wilson Freight, in Mckees Rocks bottoms,had to drive one of those gawdawful compact cornbinder Cabover with the 5speed column shift! Wilson was another old Pittsburgh trucking company that closed after deregulation! They were very nice people. I seem to recall them being based in Cincinnati Oh. Just found my old local 249 card a couple days ago! lotta memories! There is still a Wilson trucking company, but it isn't the same one. 220, do you remember Waite Inc, used to haul us mail? We're based in the strip district too. I drove for them briefly before they went under! They had a division called Joy Don also named after the owner and his wife. We're out of Akron Oh. I hauled steel for J V Mcnicholas too out of their west Mifflin terminal.they were an all mack fleet too!

• Like 1

I grew up in the North Hills of Pittsburgh in Longview Acres which was built above McNight Rd which was the main road heading north out of Pittsburgh pre-interstate days. My best friend and I would spend countless hours watching EAZOR trucks both coming and going from US Rt 19 just north toward Wexford. There was a hill just north of Cumberland Road and they would whistle going down and labor going up slamming gears ---the sights and sounds still resonate in my mind. The google newspaper article was interesting—thanks for posting!

Another old Pittsburgh company the ran north to I think Erie was Lightning Express. Their colors were cream and red, and I think the ran Internationals—Anybody else out there remember Lightning Express?

• Like 1

Va Patentman, I sure do remember Lightning ! They went out of business before I was old enough to drive a truck I recall them as a mixed fleet. They definitely ran White conventionals, I recall a picture of one of their trucks a White 5000 I think! Also remember their ad under trucking in the yellow pages when I was a kid! When I hauled mail for Waite Inc.( hurry up and wait)😁 I used to pick up at the bulk mail center off exit 3  on the PA tnpke. I believe it was rte 65 up your way! When did you leave north hills?

• Like 1