237 or 235 HP?

Freightrain

Ok, going through my highway repair books, my T675 is listed as a 235 hp? At least by that book. I tried looking up the pump number, but I'm thinking it is too old for the book I have as it is not listed. The book seems to start at 1973.

Was talking to Tom Gannaway the other night, he called after finding out here that I was putting the same motor in my truck as he. He brought up the 235 hp think and recalled my book saying the same thing. Is this just a differently rated 237? Or just the same thing? Neither of us have any information on the pump as to the HP rating. I think they started doing that later? It seems there are a few flavors of this motor(like others). Not that either of us are concerned, but more just curious.

Just looking for thoughts.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Here's another question: Clutches. Mine should be just a single disc. They did offer a twin disc behind the V8's back then. Could I, Should I, maybe look into something like that? I'm going to guess it will not fit my current 673 flywheel? Would it fit the 237 wheel I have? I know it would need the tabs around the outside like the 237 wheel has to drive the floating disc. Am I over thinking it and just put another stock 673 clutch in??

I was looking at my Highway book and it shows a bunch of different ctutches, depending on the HP rating of motor. Like 4 or 5 variations. I think a couple were pull clutches? Anyway, just wondering. I'll be pulling my clutch off tonight?(if I want to brave some snow when I get home).

If I stay with single disc, I will make my own dummy shaft(no splines, just turned to fit ID) to get the disc centered. "IF" I would go twin, I would need to find a real dummy shaft to align the splines.

Larry

I think you could use the 673 flywheel on the 675 engine, I ran a quad behind a 675 engine with a single disc clutch for years, but I was the only driver. But when you talk a double disc clutch where a single was you really open up a can of worms! A double disc has a longer input shaft, a deeper bell housing, which also puts the trans mounts farther back. Not to mention you also need a clutch brake with a double disc set up. terry

• Like 2

Good point and that is why I was asking about it. I did get the clutch and flywheel off the old motor tonight. The pilot bearing fell out and was literally junk. I was lucky it lasted this long without problems. I will be getting a new clutch assembly and surfacing the flywheel

Larry

So, where would you guys suggest I look to get a clutch for this? Mack? Or Luk? Eaton? I already warned my wallet of the possible clean out.

The book states there are a few variations, I wonder if I can get something with a bit more bite to it? Mine is 2" spline.

Larry

I know we have a place that can put new material on the disc. I think they do brakes also. Don't think they handle rebuilding the plate. It's not rocket science, but after looking at the books and how Mack has all these little gauges to set things I don't want to have to pull the motor to fix something that doesn't work right. I'll pay the money for new.

I think I can do the flywheel, if I can get the dimension for the proper height.

Larry

not sure on the specifics but would something like this single disk set up work?

max torque rating is 2000

http://www.fleettruckparts.com/Clutches/Clutch-HD-Lipe-2-for-Engines-Under-475-HP-

Clutch HD Lipe 2 for Engines Under 475 HP.
Part #:
SL-LIPE-2-CP
Additional Info:
Spline - 15.5 x 2. Flywheel - Flat. Ceramic 6 PDL 2 PL. Push/Pull - Pull. Plate Load - 3720. Max Torque - 2000. Springs Per Disc - 10. Cover Material - Cast Iron. Center Diameter - 8.25. Stroke Bearing Travel - 0.500" to 0.560". Adapter Ring - Yes.
Material:
Steel
Condition:
New Aftermarket
Made in:
USA

post-19181-0-67815800-1455812299_thumb.j

post-19181-0-88520000-1455812308_thumb.j

Thanks for the link David. I'll check into it. Just dread to find out what it cost to ship this boat anchor back and forth to MD?

Found HRClutch over by Philly, PA. Though they are actually a bit farther away.

Larry

Ok guys-always an education here as to how little I know! My "61X" started life as a 60X and then at some point a 711/Duplex was installed. Then a factory reman 237 (had 10,000 on it when it came out of a wreck). No clue as to what clutch is-assuming Duplex was what was with the 711?

What do I look for to "iD" clutch?- figure better to get an understanding before I have a quick need to replace.

Going through some of my sales brochures, CL 28 seems to keep showing up. It is a single plate, dry clutch. Found behind 707, END 711, ENDT673 for example in models such as B70, B75, R609 and R611.

It seems like most of the 237 were a double disc clutch to handle the torque of the Maxidyne.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.