Rare surviving WW2 PT Boat to be restored

kscarbel2

When I was a kid there were 3 that were used as tour boats in Red Bank N.J. Two were stripped down and one painted Blue and one Red. The third was in Navy sea olive green and still had most of the military positions. That was in the late 50's early 60's.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

all very interesting its amazing the job these did and the speed they traveled the most amazing thing is the amount of fuel they used I read some where once at full speed they only had enough fuel for 1 hour and there tanks were like 6000 gallons dont quote me on these figures but it was a bucket load fuel real quick

Just the thing to use to go fishing

Paul

I went to Hollywood back in 1970 and was at the studio where they filmed Mchale's Navy. PT 73 was there it was not a full size replica they used. It was ironic as I was headed to Vietnam to serve on a Motor Gunboat.The twin 20's on my boat were WW2 Vintage which when you think about it WW2 ended only 25 years earlier and not that old.

• Like 2

I went to Hollywood back in 1970 and was at the studio where they filmed Mchale's Navy. PT 73 was there it was not a full size replica they used. It was ironic as I was headed to Vietnam to serve on a Motor Gunboat.The twin 20's on my boat were WW2 Vintage which when you think about it WW2 ended only 25 years earlier and not that old.

In part 2 of 2, at the very beginning, Ernest Borgnine's navy time in China is mentioned.

At about 4:38 minutes, they talk about the boat.

There was a real boat, as seen in the show's intro. For the H-4 Hercules seaplane project (aka Spruce Goose), Howard Hughes requested from the Navy two PTs for use as chase boats that, produced at the end of the war, were new and available. Several PT boat designs were produced, such as the PT305 from Higgins, and the Elcos. But the PT-73 was a U.S.-produced British design 70-foot Type 2 Vosper, produced under license during the war.

The boats on the set (lake), as they say, were downsized, non-powered and made of cardboard.

There's 4 or 5 in Kington New York on the Hudson . One fully restored and the rest in hulls complete or not but there .

http://www.timesunion.com/business/article/PT-boats-on-the-Hudson-4876351.php#photo-5290873

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Three 1500 HP, 2500 cubic inch supercharged engines....yeah, that will burn some gasoline in a hurry...Fill-er-up please! That makes an old normally aspirated 707 Mack look little....Crazy Stupid big...got the job done didn't they! Amazing history.

Cool Cool Cool!!!!

http://www.ptboats.org/20-01-05-ptboat-008.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/8209523/Packard-V12-4M-2500-engine-in-detail.html

• Like 1

Three 1500 HP, 2500 cubic inch supercharged engines....yeah, that will burn some gasoline in a hurry...Fill-er-up please! That makes an old normally aspirated 707 Mack look little....Crazy Stupid big...got the job done didn't they! Amazing history.

Cool Cool Cool!!!!

There was also a War Emergency Power set up the briefly boosted h.p. to almost 2800+ h.p. with Methanol-water injection injection. 5 hours total use of the power adder required a full rebuild so it was rarely used.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

There was also a War Emergency Power set up the briefly boosted h.p. to almost 2800+ h.p. with Methanol-water injection injection. 5 hours total use of the power adder required a full rebuild so it was rarely used.

I think "War Emergency Power" (WEP) was better known on the American fighter aircraft, including the P-38, P-40, P-47, P-51 and our best, the F4U.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_emergency_power

I think "War Emergency Power" (WEP) was better known on the American fighter aircraft, including the P-38, P-40, P-47, P-51 and our best, the F4U.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_emergency_power

Yes it was, and mostly used in the European theater PT Boats in the Mediterranean.

P.T.CHESHIRE

The WWII Chrysler Multi Bank was the most innovative and used what was readily available for quick production. 30 cylinders, 5 crank shafts and cams, 5 Distributors and 5 carburetors all for 445 h.p.

P.T.CHESHIRE

The WWII Chrysler Multi Bank was the most innovative and used what was readily available for quick production. 30 cylinders, 5 crank shafts and cams, 5 Distributors and 5 carburetors all for 445 h.p.

But of all the Sherman variants, only the M4A4 used the Chrysler A57 multi-bank. Like the Caterpillar D200A radial (a Wright R-1820 aircraft engine converted to diesel, aka RD-1820), the Chrysler powerplant saw limited use. It was complex, and thus expensive and time-consuming to produce, whereas the Ford GAA (and Continental R975) could be produced cheaply in high volumes.

One of the Sherman's biggest flaws was the Army's lean toward gasoline engines. That they were nicknamed "Ronsons" (after the lighter) tells you something. Far fewer men would have died had they been equipped with diesels like the German and Russian tanks.

• Like 1