how do you get horsepower out of a Mack?

It seems nobody knows much about how to tune a Mack to make it run good, I've been considering a 95 CH 613 with E7 350 v Mac. Everyone seems clueless about these engines, I called Pittsburgh power, and they won't even work on a mack, they said they nothing about them. I talked to a Mack and Cat dealer, they couldn't tell me much about mack, just (they're ok) . It seems this truck would make a good local truck pulling a flat, Its a lightweight truck with a pre emmision 728 cu in engine, seems it should compete with any truck of its day as far as fuel economy, if tuned good and running properly, but everyone seems to laugh when I say mack!

Well... That has been the hard part. They do alot of MACKS and it seems like a normal thing so they haven't really said what I'll get but they said I should be happy.

Doing injectors and Turbo and my motor didn't have a Jake so they are installing Jake. (Looking for some 680 Jake parts now)

They will dyno it and I'll be able to see what the increase is.

They know alot!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree in general 68 F Model, but the factory guys are SOOOO conservative there is plenty of wiggle room for some modifications that are safe. As long as you don't get out of control and you monitor EGT's and keep them in a safe zone via your go fast foot, you should be okay.

• Like 1

My main concern is fuel economy, I've heard sometimes turning one up a little and then drive like there's an egg between your foot they'll get better economy,but how does this engine compare to say s 12.7 Detroit or a M 11 Cummins for fuel?? Is this an economical engine or a fuel hog?

I love Richard at Antrim. When I said I would like to step up my E9 awhile back I asked what he thought and he said you'll be happy and at 742 to the ground I am.

With more power you will gain better drivability and fuel milage. But you can't drive it like you stole it. And what every one else will say you have to watch your heat.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I drive this truck myself. I am a heavy haul contractor. I am routinely 120,000 to 145,000 pounds. There is one thing that will get you up a hill at that weight, power. I have a bunch of gauges that all need to be watched, not the least of which is the pyrometer. I watch it now, and I'll keep an eye on it after I install the stage 3 RFI kit. As for the theory that big power can only come from big displacement, look at Detroit. I've never seen more power, efficiency and longevity than we see in the cars made today. They make more steam with less inches than ever before. And the cars run more miles than ever before. This may turn out to be a bad thing for my truck, but I'm giving it a try. - Tom

We just got thru putting new injectors in the '85 my son drives,E6-350 4 valve,didn't get crazy,got the biggest ones available from Mack,also turned the pump up a little. He says it runs like a totally different truck,gained 10 lbs. of boost,only ran 2 tanks of fuel thru it since,but seems to be doing better on fuel.

• Like 1

I was told my fuel mileage would increase as a result of not needing to stand on the throttle so long. Paul at RFI told me that what I'm adding to my 400 was mild. He said the same engine as mine was commonly turned up way more. I'm confident in what I'm doing here. I can always go back to my stock parts.

I agree in general 68 F Model, but the factory guys are SOOOO conservative there is plenty of wiggle room for some modifications that are safe. As long as you don't get out of control and you monitor EGT's and keep them in a safe zone via your go fast foot, you should be okay.

The factory also builds them to be universally accepted, so they're set middle ground so to speak. If you stay some what conservative on the up grades, drive it sensibly, watch the pyro and other gauges you'll have no problems.IMO Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

GOOG you said you have an E7 Vmac right? Do the RFI Injectors work on a mechanical E7? Does anybody have any experience with their turbo and injector setups from RFI on an E7 and what kind of power are you getting while still having a drivable work truck? I know that they used to offer the ME7 in marine applications I think up to like 650 Hp. Obviously marine applications don't have a cooling issue....

Antrim Diesel!

My SuperLiner is there now

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Call Antrim (717) 597-7963 talk to Richard Price he will treat you right. They done my truck, my father in laws truck and doing one for a friend now. The more dead presidents you have the more horse power you can get.
  • Like 1

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

I took my 05 granite with a 460 hp ASET AI and an 18sp to Antrim. Detroit series 60 turbo, bigger injectors, area diesel box and I ended up with 467 at the rear wheels with the fan on. There is a small flat spot when you shift and you have to watch the pyro temp but the truck pulls good. The price's of Antrim are decent honest people, but they are a little slow but definetly worth the wait.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...