MO51 bridge @ Chester CLOSED

RowdyRebel

Due to flooding. River levels are expected to meet/exceed 1993 records, so it's going to be UGLY all up & down ther river. Next crossing North is in St. Louis. Next crossing South is Cape Girardeau. If you're coming this way, plan accordingly. Hwy 3 floodgate @ Cora (Randolf/Jackson County line) closed yesterday along with most of the other low-lying roads around the rivers. Unfortunately, it's going to get worse before it gets better. Living behind a levee myself, I probably won't be sleeping too well for the next week or so (considering the levee district commissioners have a bad habit of NOT using our tax dollars for their intended purpose...but that's another topic for another day). First day back at work and I'm pulling a hopper emptying grain elevators before the levee here is topped. Hurry up & wait!

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Forecast looks pretty dry for the next week or so, but the damage has been done. The rain that fell over the weekend has the river rising pretty quick. Luckily, a lot of what fell further North was frozen, so it SHOULD crest and fall pretty quickly, but until it does, there's quite a few folks packing up and moving. There's a house right next to the grain elevator we're clearing out that will probably have water well into the 2nd floor if not to the roof if the levee is topped. Even the airport is clearing the hangars moving planes and fire trucks to higher ground. Quite the sight coming down the hill and seeing a bunch of aircraft parked at the restaurant like the pilots are inside having lunch.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Well, I got home tonight and parked the truck only to see this sign right across the highway:

So, we grabbed all of our important papers and stuff like that, loaded up the horse trailers and moved some stuff (and a horse) to higher ground. If the sirens blare (which I'm praying they don't), we're ready to bug out in a hurry. Suburban is backed into the driveway...toss the dogs in and the wife drives that, and the Mack is plugged into the block heater and shop air, so it should fire right up and be ready to roll. F250 is on higher ground with the horses, so as long as we make it out, we'll be OK. Hope the levee holds...

County Sheriff didn't know how high our levee is, but said he thinks the flood wall in Cape Girardeau is only 50'. Probably going to try to rescue as much stuff as we can "just in case". Wife is teasing me because I'm not my usual care-free self. Hell, tornado blows through and it's "Eh, it's only weather..." but I'm insured for that. This, I'm not. Mack is safely on higher ground. We'll probably head back in to grab what we can with 1 more trip and then just stay at a higher elevation until the danger has passed. Already planning contingencies if we lose the house...probably rent for a year while we salvage what we can and then when my plates expire at the end of next year, make our move to Texas.

Well I have farmed all my farming in life on flood plains not real smart hey

We built massive big flood banks in one real bad drought because big floods always follow big droughts and sure enough a when the drought broke it was followed by the biggest flood on record

I always say to people floods are worse than drought I can always buy in feed but no matter how $100.00 notes I stick in the paddock it wont make it go dry LOL

stay safe and dry bets you can

Paul

• Like 1

Exceeding expectations again...probably won't be long before they up the forecast again. Heading back to the house with 3 trucks & 3 trailers to grab as much as we can...'cuz I have a bad feeling whatever is left will be lost if it isn't able to be salvaged after the water goes down.

post-1673-0-82668700-1451605509_thumb.pn

Well, we've got MOST everything of value that can't be cleaned/salvaged moved out. If the worst happens, we've got a plan. But, with my luck after doing all this work moving out, the levee will hold and it would have all been for nothing. I would be EXTREMELY happy if that happened. We'll find out in a few days.

• Like 2

Well, we've got MOST everything of value that can't be cleaned/salvaged moved out. If the worst happens, we've got a plan. But, with my luck after doing all this work moving out, the levee will hold and it would have all been for nothing. I would be EXTREMELY happy if that happened. We'll find out in a few days.

All the best to you and your Family Rowdy. Weather patterns all over the are crazy this year.