Manufacturing the Autocar

kscarbel2

Very interesting! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Wow. Those trucks were really hand made.

I had a old 1957 (I think) parts truck that looked just like the ones rolling off the assembly line. Ended up scrapping it but kept the front grill, thinking that I will make a display case out of it for some of my models some day.

I also had a 1964 Autocar with a 230 Cummins, 10 speed. Was a nice truck, really too nice to use and that's the reason I sold it. Wish I still had it but at the time I didn't need any trucks hanging around that weren't making any money.

My dream truck is a '60s model Autocar body fitted on a late model running gear. I just love the looks of those old Autocars.

KSC- thx for posting. Would be interesting to see what changed (if anything-but I'm sure it did) once White bought the company. For sure they recognized what they had bought as they quickly killed Sterling but did they keep their "corporate hands" off it?

Were A-Cars built in the Exton plant (I assume that is the one in the photo?) right up until the end?

After driving Macks for years, my dad was put into a new Autocar mixer in '70 or '71. It had 11/24" rubber, a 230 Cummins, and a Road Ranger 10spd. He said at the time he didn't care for it because he had Mack in his blood, but, looking back, he said there was nothing wrong with the truck and it was a nice machine. The biggest gripe he had about it was the sometimes wishy-washy rear suspension.

KSC- thx for posting. Would be interesting to see what changed (if anything-but I'm sure it did) once White bought the company. For sure they recognized what they had bought as they quickly killed Sterling but did they keep their "corporate hands" off it?

Were A-Cars built in the Exton plant (I assume that is the one in the photo?) right up until the end?

I think this video is long after White bought them.

The last Autocars were built in Ogden, Utah.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...