B61 Front Suspension Help Needed!

DDEMLOW

Hello All,

I need some info. on my B61 Mack. I am new to the Mack world and this is my first truck.

The front end has a ball-joint arm on both sides of the frame that do not appear to go anywhere. I think I am missing something but cannot find any literature on it.

Can someone help guide me to what I am missing and what parts I need to correct this problem?

Attached are pictures of the arm.

Thanks, All

Dan.

post-18550-0-45726100-1450127045_thumb.j

post-18550-0-52439400-1450127052_thumb.j

post-18550-0-73502000-1450127062_thumb.j

One of mine popped loose at the upper ball socket, fell and bent around the axle. Ugh. I removed both sides and replaced them with all thread and heim ends. If I recall the holes are 9/16" in the mount, but I used 1/2" heim ends and bolts. Been about 7 yrs? and no problems yet.

I could have made spacers to make them fit snug, but I can't see any issue with them working loose. Not that the front axle moves that much anyway.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Also there was a special oil that goes in them.

Houdialle recommended mineral oil, I've used 60wt Motorcycle Fork oil from Honda.

Fill them where the are and DO NOT over fill above the filler plug hole. Fill them, put the plug in finger snug, work the arm full spread a 1/2 dozen times or more and top off. They are designed to sweat oil from the seals. OEM says check oil level every 3000 miles.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thank you all for the input. Now at least I know what I am looking for and where to attach them when I replace the link and ball end connection on axle. The shocks themselves still seem to work. Just no link of connection to the axle.

Do I really need them? I will only be hauling a 40 foot flat bed with antique tractors weighing no more that 12,000 lbs. Short distances at low speeds.

I don't want to spend a lot of time and money on something that I don't really need. Thoughts?

All any shocks job is to dampen the suspension bounce (or recoil). In my personal opinion with the normal B Model front springs and normal tires they are pointless. Paul

You will likely never know if they are hooked up and working or not there at all.

I suppose if you actually loaded the front axle really heavy then they might actually help control the spring. With the minimal weight up front, the springs never moves enough to worry about it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

You will likely never know if they are hooked up and working or not there at all.

I suppose if you actually loaded the front axle really heavy then they might actually help control the spring. With the minimal weight up front, the springs never moves enough to worry about it.

Maybe heavier oil could make a difference?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Maybe heavier oil could make a difference?

Not one bit of difference. The different weight oils require different damping valve settings, so one cancels out the other. Plus you get more tire deflection than spring movement in normal conditions with the early suspension like on the B. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE