newbie with a problem

Might be a stupid question but did Mack use any left handed threads on the wheel studs or caps in this case? I know some car manufacturers did back in the day.

Only left-hand threads I know of are on BUDD wheels... On the left side of the truck. Right-hand on the right side. I've seen many rookie mechanics get screwed up with this... ME INCLUDED lol. Now there is a whole generation behind me that has never even seen Budd wheels. The newer style hub pilot uses right hand threads all around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Might be a stupid question but did Mack use any left handed threads on the wheel studs or caps in this case?

Generally there will be a small "L" stamped in the end of a left hand thread wheel stud.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Only left-hand threads I know of are on BUDD wheels... On the left side of the truck. Right-hand on the right side. I've seen many rookie mechanics get screwed up with this... ME INCLUDED lol. Now there is a whole generation behind me that has never even seen Budd wheels. The newer style hub pilot uses right hand threads all around.

A girlfriend in high school had a '75 Valiant,she asked me one day if I would change a flat for her,I twisted 2 studs of before I realized the old Plymouth had left handed threads. I'd never heard of cars having them,just Budd wheels.

I think it was only Dodge & Chrysler. Their engineers were always trying to be "progressive". I learned the hard way on a Coronet ? Mid 60's. Then 35 years later the hard way again on my AC. Never heard of Erie wheels. Different from Daytons some other way too?

Erie made wheels for trailers mostly. was just a manufacturer. I dunno why, probably money but Mack used those Erie wheels on the FA505 front axle ONLY on B42's from about 59-61 then went back to the sturdier style spoke that you could see the nuts for the drum (the old style original wheel used from 53-59) and used it way into the 70's on the R models. i know those rounded style wheels say Erie on them and even the correct wheel wedges do for them. always thought they were an ugly wheel actually.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

:SMOKIE-RT:

Not too hard to work with,as long as it's as was done from the Factory. I had one truck where,years earlier,the owner had done all the brakes;the rears were still correct,but he'd swapped the front hubs/drums side for side,and I fought with that for about a week before it occurred to me that I was probably tightening the front lugs when I thought they were just stuck. On reassembly,I got 'em correct.

Speed

:SMOKIE-LFT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

I can't stop at "good enough ". I see things that no one else would notice. I even blast and paint the inside of the brake drums.

Ufff...

I tell you a secret - I didn't do that :)

Haven't blasted and painted brake shoe bases either.

Just pretty sure no one would see those areas and nothing bad about any technical issues.

Sure you should do things the way you're completey satisfied of.

But it seems to me sometimes I should achieve satisfaction of 90% only.

I should go ahead and can't afford redoing some things twice or three times just because I'm not 100% happy of how it's done.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Ufff...

I tell you a secret - I didn't do that :)

Haven't blasted and painted brake shoe bases either.

Just pretty sure no one would see those areas and

nothing bad about any technical issues.

Sure you should do things the way you're completey

satisfied of.

I always say to do as much or as little as you are happy with.

But it seems to me sometimes I should achieve satisfaction of 90% only.

I should go ahead and can't afford redoing some things twice or three times just because I'm not 100% happy of how it's done.