Performance upgrade results on 05 E7

mackncheese

I have an antrim oversize injectors and s400 1.1 exhaust housing turbo with pump all the way up and my torque rise curve is set forward quite a bit. I have no idea what im putting to the wheels but I see 43 pounds of boost by 1250 rpm. It feels quick with 442 rears and a 9 speed. To put it in perspective. I saw 28-30 psi by 1700 rpm in stock trim. Just turning up the pump made a difference but the biggest difference was putting bigger injectors in. The bigger turbo was just to be safe. I have experimented on the same setup with the stock turbo and pyro temps are 100 degrees hotter and worse mpg. Hope this is okay to include in your thread as some extra info.

This is on a 95 rd E7350 mechanical pump.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

I thought that by getting more power and boost sooner, it would increase mpg. Wrong to some extent because even when you have more power and drive it sensibly, it still takes longer to do the job than it would if you used more. The best I've gotten is when I hardly use throttle, then at 1300-1400 rpm get boost to 40 for second or two for that torque to push me then let it go to 20-25 psi all the way to 1600-1650 rpm and then shift. Driving like that even hauling dump all day would get me 5.5 mpg. Its too much of a mind game and annoying tho.

IMO leave it close to stock.Worse mpg I've gotten with hot rodding all day long tho with black smoke is 4.5 tho not bad.

imo the best setup was just the torque rise set higher and 30 percent oversize injectors. I had very good response with it and no smoke if I eased into throttle and then floored it, but again it becomes a mind game and tiring lol

3406e for me please. :)

If you run by the boost gauge you will always have good fuel mileage. Ex. Keep the boost low. Higher the boost means your burning more fuel.

BUT with stick setting you will be getting on the throttle longer to get up to the speed you want. It's a catch 22 I guess.

I'm in the argument of not lugging an engine. If you keep the R's up at 1600/1650 on every shift the boost stays down and WILL. Show better mileage in the trucks I drove.

Mack doctor, I am stating that even with running a low boost all day long the truck didn't get any better fuel economy yes my pump is turned up all the way but that just means I use half the amount of fuel to do the same job I feel like having an electronic computer would do a better job that I'm trying to do with my foot

I agree with you dds. I have a friend who thinks you need to idle down the interstate. To better understand my point, I will explain it like this ( not saying it works for every engine). 99% of most engines out there will pull hills best at 1600/1650 with ease. If you run down the road idling those computer controlled trucks "mat the throttle" till it's not needed. If you set your truck up to run at 1600 rpm down the road it will pull hills with ease and not boost up and blow smoke.

Hence a lot of over drives transmissions hurt mileage. If you run your common 13spd most times will get between mileage in 12th. I had to prove this to a friend. He runs loaded in 12th all the time and 13th empty. These are only the small things I've noticed driving over the yrs. 👍

Rowdy. I'm running Rochester stage 2 injectors and their vision HP turbo on my 01 427. The injectors where 900 and turbo was just 200 more than a stocker. It's a whole lot more turbo than stock as well. It made night and day difference in the way truck pulls. It just hangs in there at 13 to 14 hundred and pyro has never hardly reached 1000 even on hot days. At stock when the fan kicked on you would just about have to drop a gear now don't even notice its on during a hard pull. And mpg increased 3/4 3.73 lopro 22.5 wide base drives 13spd 7.3 average last 2 quarters. Running 80 one way empty back most of the time. And boost gage is always up there no matter how hard your in the throttle.

• Like 1

That's actually what I was looking at...Rochester stage 2 w/ their turbo. Price doesn't seem too far off compared to OEM injectors & turbo, and I'm definitely replacing them with the overhaul. Just doesn't make sense to risk blowing a turbo a few weeks after the overhaul due to whatever it was that caused the failure. Glad to hear someone with actual experience with them. My truck is an '01 460P. They are also putting in a request for the XT file, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• 1 year later...