green leakers

BOB DINGSDALE

An old timer once told me "You aint a real man if you cant work a Detroit." Nothing wrong with them, you just have to be smarter than the engine

My father once told me driving something with a Detroit is like having sex with an ugly girl.....It could be good, you just don't want to be seen doing it.

Also, always either smash your hand in the door, or with a ball-peen hammer, to keep your mind off the noise and smell of the engine.

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

You know, back when they were new, I hated the things. Loud, leaky, and just plain nasty. Now that they've become a "vintage" engine, they are starting to grow on me. Partly because they are just such a unusual design.

The truth is, even though they leak oil everywhere and sound like a nest full of bumble bees, they will usually run forever.

1958 FWD, I was always told that you needed to slam your hand in the door so you would drive the truck like you were mad at it. You have to keep them old two strokes wound up tight to get any power out of them (no low end torque). That usually meant your foot to the floorboard and a lot of gear shifting.

One must never forget what a 2 stroke diesel Detroit and a green banana have in common. Neither one is worth a damn until they turn yellow.

LOL!!! That's a new one for me I like that.

You know, back when they were new, I hated the things. Loud, leaky, and just plain nasty. Now that they've become a "vintage" engine, they are starting to grow on me. Partly because they are just such a unusual design.

The truth is, even though they leak oil everywhere and sound like a nest full of bumble bees, they will usually run forever.

1958 FWD, I was always told that you needed to slam your hand in the door so you would drive the truck like you were mad at it. You have to keep them old two strokes wound up tight to get any power out of them (no low end torque). That usually meant your foot to the floorboard and a lot of gear shifting.

You know I don't really get where the oil leaking reputation comes from... Only thing I can think is the airbox drains, because all of mine are as dry if not drier than any other diesel engine that's been through my shop. They do all bleed a tiny bit out of the tubes, but they are supposed to. A canister with a vent would easily fix this if it bothered you. I'm just trying to help our national oil supply and get some back in the ground.

I couldn't imagine actually changing all the oil on a locomotive engine!

Me either!! Although they must service them.. I remember back about 1970 when Roadway still had open top trailers we picked up a bare block (V-12 or 16??) at ALCO in Auburn NY and it weighed 28,000 pounds!!!

Brocky