E6 turbo outlet to air cooler replacement?

scottwetzel

I have a boost leak where the air comes out of the turbo and into the elbow that goes to the cooler. Mack advised me this is a common problem once the turbo is replaced and the elbow should be replaced too. They siliconed the mating surfaces and said if that doesn't work replace the elbow. The problem is Mack no longer makes the elbow! So now I'm gonna have a boost leak forever?? I used to get 22 psi of boost now I'm only getting 18 psi. I provided a picture of the elbow. Any help would be appreciated.

post-15877-0-53611300-1444654714_thumb.j

Something might be found used? Might be a leaker also.

I guess I would take it apart and clean everything really well. Put another coat of high temp RTV on and put it back together. It seems most RTV labels say fully cured after 24 hrs so maybe try to do the fix when you park the truck on Friday afternoon then let it sit.

If you can clearly see the damage on the turbo pipe, maybe try to use some epoxy to repair it.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Last resort. walk into an Industrial Electrical supply and see if they have an pvc elbow for electrical conduit that matches ID and OD or a plumbing supply for PVC Natural Gas pressure pipe elbow

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I don't actually know of what a kind the mating end is but I would buy a 90 degree piece of stainless pipe and weld up some flange to be fitted on turbo. Something like in the picture.

Edited by Vladislav

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I don't actually know of what a kind the mating end is but I would buy a 90 degree piece of stainless pipe and weld up some flange to be fitted on turbo. Something like in the picture.

That white PVC elbow has a MACK logo and part number on it!

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

After the Mack dealers failed attempt to reseal it and then they told me I need to get a elbow that is no longer available I removed the elbow cleaned it really good put a new seal and new clamp and it's back to normal. The clamp has been updated since 1988 and is completely different. The Mack dealer never told me that! Thanks for everyone's help!

• Like 1