B-73 Restoration

I didn't use the mack rear I used the Rockwell from the freightliner air ride cutoff.   It gave me a much better gear ratio.  My last mack crossmember is at the rear of the doubled frames.  It is about 2' of just freightliner frame  before the first freightliner crossmember.  

3 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

I didn't use the mack rear I used the Rockwell from the freightliner air ride cutoff.   It gave me a much better gear ratio.  My last mack crossmember is at the rear of the doubled frames.  It is about 2' of just freightliner frame  before the first freightliner crossmember.  

I've got a 4.62 rear and a double overdrive Triplex going in this one. Nearly the same as I set up in my other B, but with 24.5" rubber going on this one. Cruises nice at 65, with more top end. The Triplex gives good flexibility around town and highway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mattb73lt said:

I've got a 4.62 rear and a double overdrive Triplex going in this one. Nearly the same as I set up in my other B, but with 24.5" rubber going on this one. Cruises nice at 65, with more top end. The Triplex gives good flexibility around town and highway.

Mine was a 4.62 but with a direct duplex it wasn't enough.   The new one is a 4.30 and with the 12r 22.5 will run 63 at 2100 according to my GPS.   I would have like around  a 4 but I only gave $500 for the complete cutoff and figured I'd try it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Stripped the new rear axle housing completely. I had robbed the gear set out of it for the original axle, after a friend gave it to me years ago. I was going to scrap it until I found some cracks welded up on the axle under the frame now. Lucked out there. It all came apart with some effort, but nothing broke. Some corrosion found on some of the aluminum castings. If they're too far gone, I can rob the other axle.

IMG_1712.JPG

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, h67st said:

Nothing like getting things cleaned up and new paint on them! I notice your floor looks old...when you built your new shop, did you reuse the old foundation and floor?

It's the original floor with 3/4" plywood layed over it as a work surface. I put it down when I did the other B. I'll probably replace it at some point.

Well, my text disappeared when I posted those pics. But, it's been two months since I touched this, didn't think I would be that busy. Finally got on it this weekend, finished all the welding and primed the frame. Got the donor frame to the sandblaster and into the shop for primer.

The big score was finding a "Back-Drop" exhaust for the Cummins. It's super nice and once its painted and installed I'll post some pictures.

2 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Looks good.  My frame came from a '91 Ford also.  With as much wiggle on the frames, the closest measurement came out near perfect slip fit.    With twelve 5/8" bolts on each side, plus all the other misc stuff bolted through it is not coming apart any time soon.  

I made some careful measurements yesterday and I'm going to forego the shims I was going to make. This is also a Ford donor and a very close slip fit, like about 1/16" difference.

• Like 2

Mine was 1" taller then the Mack frame, so I just clamped the top rail and left the bottom be what it was.

Looks good.  I loved mine just after I put the POR15 on it.   Then 6 months later it looked like crap.  Oh well, it's no show winner anyway.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

5 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Mine was 1" taller then the Mack frame, so I just clamped the top rail and left the bottom be what it was.

Same here with my freightliner rails.   My splice is behind my stack brackets and under deck plate so it's hid from outside viewing.  

I used rustoleum red oxide primer and there  profesional grade gloss black.   Figured it would be easy for touchups.  

Edited by Hobert62

• 6 months later...
On 8/1/2017 at 9:16 AM, mattb73lt said:

Well, my text disappeared when I posted those pics. But, it's been two months since I touched this, didn't think I would be that busy. Finally got on it this weekend, finished all the welding and primed the frame. Got the donor frame to the sandblaster and into the shop for primer.

The big score was finding a "Back-Drop" exhaust for the Cummins. It's super nice and once its painted and installed I'll post some pictures.

if you happen to come across another manifold that is not solid gold  let me know      cc

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:16 AM, mattb73lt said:

does your backdrop have the fin that seperates 3 cylinders in it? All that I have seen with the fin will say Cummins Diesel on the 2 pieces.

1 hour ago, mackdaddy said:

does your backdrop have the fin that seperates 3 cylinders in it? All that I have seen with the fin will say Cummins Diesel on the 2 pieces.

Yes, there's a cast divider separating the cylinders. Three upfront and three to the rear. The gasses meet as they enter the exhaust pipe. I've been told that's where the exhaust note comes from.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:24 PM, Freightrain said:

So what is the wheelbase going to be?  Mine is long even at 206" for a single axle.  Makes it look like a 240ish if it was a tandem.

Good guess!! Just threw a tape on it today, looks like right around 249". It's getting a 24' Jerr-Dan rollback equipment body.

• Like 2