B-73 Restoration

16 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I wonder why Mack never mounted the heater like that to begin with ?

Great job 

Paul

I don’t know. It was easy enough to do, the only thing that might be harder to get to is the nut for the radiator support rod. There’s also a drain plug on the bottom of the heater core that couldn’t be accessed. The floorboards and carpet are easily removed now. I had to remove the ashtray, but no one’s going to smoke in it anyway!!

• Like 1

Congrats on one more big step done! As Bob said it was a pleasure to follow your progress and thanks for taking time to share it. Those who make restorations or other big projects know you need bunch of time doing work and arranging solutions on every questional step but also extra time to make good photos and typing descriptions if you post the job.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 3/30/2021 at 12:30 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I completely understand!  Maybe nobody else would have known it was there, but it would have driven me crazy too!

That drip was centered directly above the glovebox door and there was no hiding it. On a good note, after all that work, the paint came out even better than the first time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/28/2021 at 9:56 PM, yarnall said:

That cab is pretty nice. I’ll give you 500 bucks for it. You’ll have to deliver it to PA though.  And paint the roof black.  If not I’ll only give you 400.  
Anyway   I’m really jealous.  I wish I could do work like that.  Keep the posts coming.  It’s great to see someone getting something done. Mike. 

I don’t know about painting the top black, but I’ll trade for the rear you beat me to? LOL. I did solve my rear carrier issue by finding another with a 4.62R. The one I had with a 4.68R, had three corroded teeth I didn’t trust.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of red today. Shot most of the frame pieces on their mating surfaces and areas that are hard to get when assembled. Couldn’t get all the pieces as I only had so much space to lay them out and they were getting pretty crowded. So, a partial load tomorrow to finish up. That’s a lot of parts when you break a truck down this far. Frame assembly is not too far off from here.

0EA70D4E-B744-49DA-B0F3-A6A1E83B4820.jpeg

E2624BDC-15BF-4793-81CE-1EE7C85B6536.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, davehummell said:

If I was close I would come over and have a good time helping you bolt all those nice clean parts on a nice clean frame way better than trying to repair a part on a truck or machine with five inches of grease and dirt covering everything. 

Thanks, I’ll buy the beer. At some point I’m going to have to call in some markers as the parts get bigger and require at least two people.

4 hours ago, harrybarbon said:

Matt will it be a single or tandem drive

It’ll be a single drive/axle. I gave it a fairly big stretch to accommodate a 24’ Jerr Dan roll back bed that I picked up. I don’t haul anything too heavy, mostly antique cars and trucks. Wheelbase for it is around 249”. The frame does seem long in the photos, but will shorten up as it’s reassembled. It’ll be 4’ longer than the truck it’s resting on, that has a 20’ deck.

Just now, mrsmackpaul said:

Must be a great fealing to have things going back together 

All your hard work is paying off

Paul

Thank you!! Hard to express. Personally, I am amazed! It's been an incredible amount of effort to come this far. After all the years of storing this truck and hunting for parts, it's finally coming together. The best part is it really looks good. I had my doubt's at times, especially cutting so deep into the cab. I can't wait to drive it!!

• Like 1