Detroit 8v92 In Superliner

Does anyone know how many superliners were built with 8-92 Detroits? I've seen one, but when I asked the driver if it was an engine swap he informed me that was what it came with. I was just wondering if there were a bunch of them built with detroits or if only a few slipped out with jimmy power under the hood... :mack1:

I have seen a few mid 70s R700s with V8 detroits but never any superliners I have heard there were a few made. Most superliners I see have the std mack 6 or v8 mack, a few with cats and alot with BCcummins

Trent

As trent has spoke there were a few 700s with cat cummins and detroit.there were some superliners born with cats and the odd kt cummins very few and far between!I Also have never seen a leaker in one.

Don't know how many were built,saw 2 in person back in '81 when I was in Hayward,CA at Mack Western.Must have been a fairly popular option in CA in the pre-E9 days.Use to see a few in for sale ads in Truck Trader papers,etc. back in the '80's.A 8V92 powered Superliner was a RWS770 or RWL770 depending on the frame,if I remember right.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya there was a couple Superliners with V8 Detroits in my erea when I was a kid. They were the original Superliners with the round headlights and they had the big walk in bunks on them. They were really good looking trucks. The loggers used to run them until they switched to E9's. I know where one is sitting right now in a scap yard but it is stripped and pretty rough. The old 2 strokes used to be real popular in this area.

• 2 years later...

Macks with Screaming jimmys were popular with the oil field crowd, mostly due to the aval extra parts, a lot of oil rigs use either a cat or a Jimmy to run the draw works , mud pumps ect. I believe the 8V92 turbo were used in a number of superliners. I ran one with a 92 for about 3 years hauling drilling rigs.

In 1982 we bought a 1979 Superliner with an 8v92 430 hp. This was factory, an RWL770LST. As depicted by the L it did have an aluminum frame. This was about 220" w.b. and had a 36" sleeper. It had a Spicer SST14 air shift. We used it for many years and now a farmer down the road has it.Thanks, Steve

In 1982 we bought a 1979 Superliner with an 8v92 430 hp. This was factory, an RWL770LST. As depicted by the L it did have an aluminum frame. This was about 220" w.b. and had a 36" sleeper. It had a Spicer SST14 air shift. We used it for many years and now a farmer down the road has it.Thanks, Steve

gainesville as in by pike new york

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a Superliner day cab with a Silver 92 in it. It was originally built to pull a dump trailer. After rebuilding the engine twice and having a driver come back with a 90mph speeding ticket, a for sale sign was put on it. This has to be almost 20yrs ago since we sold it.

Edited by Astoria Mechanic

I have seen a few mid 70s R700s with V8 detroits but never any superliners I have heard there were a few made. Most superliners I see have the std mack 6 or v8 mack, a few with cats and alot with BCcummins

Trent we have a 69 r700 with a 318 detroit in it my true first love

• 2 weeks later...

also Provan Oil in Newburgh, NY had a lot of R models with 318s in them with a few Brockways too

I used to love the sound of those Provan Mac's & Brock's!! Also Roadway back in the mid to late 60's had a bunch of them (R700 318's) Macks based out of the Kearny NJ Term. The co that I worked for in 1971 (Colonial S&S) had CCC's with R700 cab & hood built on there I-beam frames also with 318 Detroits they were real good trucks! they pulled great an rode great an they could fly! RTO9515 an 4.11's

BULLHUSK

roadway out here had alot of the detroit 318 R700s you could always here them coming. only thing I did not like was how bare they were. they must have saved a whole $100 by not putting some of the things on the truck. no fuel gauge, no dog on the hood,no jump seat, no dash tach ????

roadway out here had alot of the detroit 318 R700s you could always here them coming. only thing I did not like was how bare they were. they must have saved a whole $100 by not putting some of the things on the truck. no fuel gauge, no dog on the hood,no jump seat, no dash tach ????

Really no need for a tach with a 318! LOL!.....Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.