Vehicle Inspection Label

farmer52

I have a new annual inspection label to mark and install on my trailer. Last year I used a Sharpie Permanent Marker and the markings faded and are barely legible. The label states "use an indelible, permanent ink marker, pen, or pencil that will not fade in direct sunlight."

What can I use that will not fade?

Thanks!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Laundry marker. water proof and stands up to bleach so it should last in the weather.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My mother in law runs them thru a typewriter and the one we peeled off of a trailer last year that hadn't been used since 09 was still readable

Typewriter? What is a typewriter? :tease: I don't remember where my old portable is located or even if it still works.

All,

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try a laundry marker (Sharpie Rub-A-Dub) or livestock marking pen (should be able to find it at TSC).

• Like 1

Ken

Ken, I put mine on the inside of a compartment door. Protected from sun, rain, all elements, etc.

Denny,

This is for my trailer and there are no compartment doors. Originally the label was on the left front side near the cereal number plate. I was advised to put it there so it is easily visible and hopefully discourage any DOT issues. That is where I placed it last year and it faded.

Ken

Typewriter? What is a typewriter? :tease: I don't remember where my old portable is located or even if it still works.

Wow a Type Writer! Haven't heard that word in 25 years I had one some place. Probably with my Tandy Word Processor. :twothumbsup:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I haven't had one of those on my truck in all most 20 years. No one has ever asked.I have my bi annual state inspection. That's good enough for me.

you have to get your truck inspected twice a year?

If I put 10K tags on my F250, I'd need to have it inspected twice per year, too. With 8K tags, I don't need any inspections, ever. If it were a commercial vehicle, rather than a personal one, and I used it in interstate commerce, then it would fall under the FMCSA's jurisdiction and I'd only need 1 inspection per year. Intrastate, though, every 6 months it'd be due.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

I completed the label on Sunday. The fabric marker "bleeds" some but is still legible. I previously used a Sharpie Permanent Marker but it faded. I will give the fabric pen a try and see what happens. BTW, I am using the white label from JJKeller that has a clear laminate cover to protect the information. The old label is the same and there are no issues with label integrity, just fading.

Ken