My dealership doesn't know whats going on with my Transmission?

Keffer inc

My truck is at Tidewater Mack Inc in Chesapeake, VA. Its been two weeks so far since I dropped it off for popping out of low 5th and high 10th. Truck sat out side a week until I told them I was taking it to someone else. They said it needed a reman transmission, they got it in but now they said its the wrong one... The mounts aren't the same and I think maybe the bell housing is different. They said the ordered it by using the trucks VIN. Wouldn't that be the right one then?? Now i'm scared someone changed motors and transmissions before I got the Truck. :idunno: It came with a Spicer, All the parts I've ever ordered for it seemed to work and the parts depot always knew it was a Spicer. My old transmission was a PSO15010S. My replacement Spicer is near $4,000 plus $3,000 in a new clutch, seals, labor, motor mounts... $7,000 total. :pat:

So since its wrong and they are at a stand still until Monday morning to talk to the company they got the Spicer from. So I asked him to look into other Transmission like Mack 9, 10, possibly a 13 spd. maybe Eaton Fuller, what ever maybe would be cheaper or better off reather than the Spicer. What do you'll think? If I go over $7,500, I may give them to Title and say its theirs, its probably only worth $15,000 total...

:MackLogo:

if that spicer is like a 1010 spicer the reason you are popping oit of gear is the washer that supports the gear is bent, a country neighbors stiger tractor woud pop out of 3 and 8 so we pulled the trans and found the supporting washer concave, which allows the clutching gear to not fully engage so when under a hard pull it would pop out. i think it took about 6 hours and 1100 bucks to fix

• Like 2

If possible I would take it somewhere else unfortunately dealers aren't always known to have good track records.I have never saw a one piece bellhousing/tranny they have to be changeable to adapt to different motors and clutch setups

• Like 1

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM doesnt sound to me like it should be a change over transmission do these people actually no whats wrong or are they just going to change the transmission

Have they shown you the problem the actual parts that are faulty have they even got the box apart it doesnt sound right to me if it was in Australia I would expect to be taking into the work shop and shown the bit's and have it explained to me whats wrong

Unless the transmission housing is broken I cant see why it would be required to change the whole transmission over it could have just one crook bearing could have something stuck in the gear dogs stopping it sliding all the way in and cost nothing to fix could be just a worn washer as gear head has stated I would be demanding to see whats wrong first

just my thoughts

Paul

I uploaded the service manual for the PS/POS 9/10 speed transmission. If you look at the picture on the front page you will see a bell housing bolted to the transmission. I am no expert but my guesses are bushing, bearing, or perhaps a gear but think it would be cheaper to repair than replace. I would take it somewhere else for repair.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ken i looked thru the manual, yes the bell is seperate but un like a fuller it isnt a easy swap. The shift fork for 4/5 gear is bolted to it! I dont know if you can easly un bolt the yoke to free the bell or if you have to un stack the trans. If you can remove it the good news is 5/10 gear is the first one you come to once the cover is off.

Keiffer:if it was me i would call a few gear shops that deal with these trans, an see if the shift rail and front cover can be removed with the bell hsg. if so the repair could be rather easy and no reman needed, just a thought.

What model and year is your truck? Is it an old fleet truck? Which fleet?

I suspect your Spicer wasn't a factory install. Perhaps a previous owner was attracted to the low price of the Mexican Tremec-produced Spicer PRO-SHIFT after a catastrophic transmission issue.

(Aside from Mack, Eaton and Allision, a few fleets requested to try the new Rockwell transmissions in the early 90s.......which proved unpopular)

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/HDPS-1050-0899_69.pdf

Does the nomenclature tag on the transmission removed from your truck by the dealer say Spicer PSO150-10S?

TransAxle (http://www.transaxle.com/) is the Tremec distributor in Virginia, with a location in Richmond (http://www.tremec.com/dealers.php). You can possibly source parts from them for your PSO150-10S and reassemble without alterations.

Or, you can contact Jasper (http://www.jasperengines.com/transmissions.php). They build a good reman product and have a solid nationwide warranty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1997, the Transmissions TSP subsidiary of Spicer SA, a joint venture between Dana (49%) and Mexico’s DESC (51%, now called KUO Group) purchased Dana Corporation’s medium and heavy transmission. This included the Spicer PRO-SHIFT and EASY-SHIFT transmission product.

Both Mexican transmission maker Tremec (Transmisiones y Equipos Mecanicos) and Spicer SA were established as the result of a 1962 government mandate stating that from 1964, sixty percent of vehicle content had to be produced in Mexico.

The Dana/DESC joint venture, Spicer SA, purchased Tremec in 1994, and Borg-Warner’s transmission business in 1996.

Dana and DESC dissolved their joint venture, Spicer S.A. de C.V., in 2006 with Dana assuming 100-percent ownership of operations that manufacture and assemble axles, driveshafts, gears, forgings, and castings in which Dana previously held an indirect 49% interest.

DESC, in turn, assumed full ownership of the transmission and aftermarket gasket operations in which it previously held a 51% interest. Along with exchanging its minority interest in the joint venture, Dana also made a cash payment of $19.5 million (USD) to DESC.

What model and year is your truck? Is it an old fleet truck? Which fleet?

I suspect your Spicer wasn't a factory install. Perhaps a previous owner was attracted to the low price of the Mexican Tremec-produced Spicer PRO-SHIFT after a catastrophic transmission issue.

if this is true I would have thought that when the new trans was ordered surely someone would have picked it up when ordering the new trans either way after all the stuffing around I would be fairly keen to be demanding some answers and a look at what is said to be wrong

These problems are good reason to teach yourself how to do these jobs your self or maybe thats just me

Paul

I think it was newly purchased by Road Runner in Arizona. There is a fleet sticker on the side of my drivers seat with that info.

It is a POS150-10S, was anyways.

That transmission was better off being swapped anyways, I replaced the output seals multiple times, oil leaked everywhere, shift tower was sloppy, short of welding the nut, the drive shaft yoke way coming loose often too, using a new nut, red loc tite. Plus Mack said if the repaired it, something else could go later, like 4th and 9th,

I think it was newly purchased by Road Runner in Arizona. There is a fleet sticker on the side of my drivers seat with that info.

It is a POS150-10S, was anyways.

That transmission was better off being swapped anyways, I replaced the output seals multiple times, oil leaked everywhere, shift tower was sloppy, short of welding the nut, the drive shaft yoke way coming loose often too, using a new nut, red loc tite. Plus Mack said if the repaired it, something else could go later, like 4th and 9th,

Is? Was?

Are you saying the transmission removed from your truck by the dealer is not the transmission that was originally in the truck when you bought it. If so, you're saying the first transmission was a POS150-10S, and the second transmission is what ???

Allow me to ask again, does the nomenclature tag on the transmission removed from your truck by the dealer say Spicer PSO150-10S? If not, what does it say?

What is the model and year of your Mack truck?

Found the problem, the transmission that was pulled from my truck was from an International Truck. Previous owner or mechanic used a transmission that was exactly the same, but the bell housing on the transmission had a different mounting system. They could have just swapped bell housing on the transmission to make it fit back exactly, but of course not...

Thats the exact reason I don't want just any shop working on my truck.

Is? Was?

Are you saying the transmission removed from your truck by the dealer is not the transmission that was originally in the truck when you bought it. If so, you're saying the first transmission was a POS150-10S, and the second transmission is what ???

Allow me to ask again, does the nomenclature tag on the transmission removed from your truck by the dealer say Spicer PSO150-10S? If not, what does it say?

Yep, it originally had a POS150-10S, then later was swapped with the same transmission from a international, ( different bellhousing and mounts)

Found the problem, the transmission that was pulled from my truck was from an International Truck. Previous owner or mechanic used a transmission that was exactly the same, but the bell housing on the transmission had a different mounting system. They could have just swapped bell housing on the transmission to make it fit back exactly, but of course not...

So the dealer ordered you a reman PSO150-10S, per your truck's VIN number? (i.e. your truck was built with a PSO150-10S?).

I suggest you allow the dealer to change your truck back to its original configuration (undo the butcher job).

So, Mack might give me my truck back Monday, finally. Bill has got to $8,200 so far, it took them over three weeks. they replaced anything to do with the transmission, so all thatsbasicly new, my truck was worth maybe $14,000 if I would have sold it before the transmission went south. I was just wondering if maybe ya'll think the truck gained any value with all this? I will say confidently though, they aren't working on my truck again unless its for an in-frame rebuild.