For Sale Ex USAF 1957 FWD MM1 Terracruzer

General Ike

Nice....it has Yardo's name on it.

With the big floats it has a baby soft ride. Best for Small and Medium to cruise in

Saw K.W 100's with wider tires and that set up for Oil Patch work on the Tundra

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

i would love to find more info on that thing....specifically the running gear.....too damn cool....

think my googles broke....just lots of em for sale, or the same one 2 dozen times...lol

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

i would love to find more info on that thing....specifically the running gear.....too damn cool....

think my googles broke....just lots of em for sale, or the same one 2 dozen times...lol

The final drive system is a planetary drive off a transfer case to a live axle with wide hard rubber drive wheels that contact the actual tires which are filled with air, and individually controlled from the operators console. The air pressure in the "floats" not only carries the load… it also controls drive tension on each tire. The planetary drive powers each boogie at the steering pivot points. Steering is by "Orbital Control using hydraulic rams. Transmission is an Allison 740. It can easily go through 22 inches of snow or 40 inches of water and on a smooth surface hit 30 m.p.h.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

FWD produced several different Teracruzers.

This is a Model 8-320 B. It used a PE 200 "Continental Packett" 4-cycle 8-cylinder opposed piston air-cooled engine developing 250 horsepower at 2,800rpm.

An Allison TX-340 semi-automatic 4-speed transmission drove the two bogies thru an FWD-built central differential.

The air pressure of the 40x42 inch Goodyear Terra-Tires could be adjusted between 3 and 18 psi from within the cab.

Cruise speed was 40mph, and it could climb a 60 percent slope at 2.5mph.

It was designed to pull a missile trailer carrying a 40 foot long Martin TM-61 Matador land-based missile which operated at 35,000 feet and 650 mph, or the Martin TM-76 Mace.

• Like 2

interesting.....friction drive 8X8....

Open the link below. Look carefully above the "tires" you will see a roller driving each one.

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?/topic/38851-like-the-terra-cruiser-how-bout-these/

P.T.CHESHIRE

I wonder if I could get an E9 4V in there?

Got to make it air cooled. They ran a Continental Packette air cooled 6 cylinder opposed gassers. They were USAF ground power, light Air Craft engines (PIPER etc) and Heavy Air Craft tow tug power units. Paul

post-3242-0-11812000-1423968386_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-72288600-1423968377_thumb.jp

post-3242-0-11717300-1423968368_thumb.jp

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if I could get an E9 4V in there?

Be hard to get an E9 2V in anything!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 2 weeks later...

Picture one with a swapped in Deutz air cooleed V-8!!

P.T.CHESHIRE