1958 Kenworth

vision386

Thanks for a great set of pictures! It's fun to see truck technology as it evolved and progressed, I hope your two-can ether buzz has worn off by now. B)

Belts. What an unusual way to transfer torque. I wonder if they were constantly live or if there was a centrifugal clutch, button or hand lever that could be activated when 'the going got tough' and another set of drive wheels were needed. I'm not really imagining a roto-tiller or Lawn Boy here, but there has to be a reason for such an unusual drive arrangement.

Not knowing much about the belt drive set-up,my best guess is it was "live" all the time,looked to me like just a toothed sprocket just like a bicycle,i didn't see anything that would suggest any way to turn it on or off other than taking the belt off? maybe someone here knows for sure?.....................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

dunno about snow wrong I live in the wrong part of the world but I remember log trucks working in slop used to have them and they worked ok a lot better than you might think I remember seeing the belt driven wheels spinning in the mud

transpec in Australia sold them dunno if that was an Aussie company or what the story was

Paul

Jim, I agree with you,about the bullnose years,but I looked at the data plate inside the door and it indeed said date of manufacture was Sept. 1958,i was told by one of the guys at this shop that 58' was also the first year for the "tombstone" shaped grille surround,so I'm thinking maybe an early production model? I know the new model year cars are always introduced in Sept.................................Mark

a lot of spud trucks in the Columbia basin had this arrangement they would take a f800 or c 60 size truck and then add a belt drive tag I have only seen rear tag conversions then add a 20 ft. bed to haul spuds or beets. Nice find Mark, I wonder if that could have been a factory install? and yes the man cave coffee table on the front of that thing needs to be back in the man cave!

Jim, I agree with you,about the bullnose years,but I looked at the data plate inside the door and it indeed said date of manufacture was Sept. 1958,i was told by one of the guys at this shop that 58' was also the first year for the "tombstone" shaped grille surround,so I'm thinking maybe an early production model? I know the new model year cars are always introduced in Sept.................................Mark

It's definitely one of the first K100's to roll of the line. The '72 my Dad drove had a build date of 9/71. KW sure got a lot of miles out of parts of the design. I wouldn't be surprised if all the windshield glass fit every model that had the four piece setup.

The doors might also fit in the openings of a much newer model, although the hardware wouldn't match.

Jim

that is not a K-100 as it was not introduced until 1963. This is the KW that Mack used as a copy to make the G model. Same doors except Mack lowered the handle and note the hinged door under the drivers window. These are fairly rare and use the numbering system much like the kw conventionals did at that time. A friend of mine has one he bought near new and drove it his entire working career. He also owned a few G models and knows every detail that both trucks shared. He had it at the Pleasanton ATHS show and it was the only one there.

• Like 2

At first glance, I thought it was a Cruiseliner, with those single headlights. Does also have many "G" looks to it also(no wonder).

What suspension is it? Does the rubber band make it have that cantilever set up added to what was there as a single axle? I've seen other belt drive trucks, but never paid enough attention. This one looks unique.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The build date of Sept. 1958 would likely make it a 1959 model year. That build date for that model could make it worth something more. It might be the earliest example of that model left. It would be worth checking into to see where it falls in numbers of the first ones built.

that is not a K-100 as it was not introduced until 1963. This is the KW that Mack used as a copy to make the G model. Same doors except Mack lowered the handle and note the hinged door under the drivers window. These are fairly rare and use the numbering system much like the kw conventionals did at that time. A friend of mine has one he bought near new and drove it his entire working career. He also owned a few G models and knows every detail that both trucks shared. He had it at the Pleasanton ATHS show and it was the only one there.

Do you know the model number for this one? I have see all of this style referred to as a K100 but then again, conventionals prior to the W900B often mistakenly referred to as W900A's.

Jim

Jim, the data plate inside the door said it was a 500 series (521 Model to be exact)the I.D plate also said number of axles (2) I wish now I'd taken a picture of it as well,not at all sure on the suspension,but my guess is Kenworth Torsion Bar? maybe Page&Page?...................................Mark

Mark

that makes sense it is a 520 series like others I have seen. I believe 1 is a single drive and a 3 is a tandem.?? The KW engineer that designed this truck went to work for Mack. The aluminum door frame extrusion and doors themselves were made by Budd for KW But KW never made a deal to keep Budd from selling them to others and so this guy knew it and designed the G model around it. Even the foot step was very similar. One difference is that KW didn't need a pole in the middle of the cab to keep the roof from flopping in the wind.

• Like 2