Some Basic B-30P Questions

I have a few basic questions about the B-30P.

Am I interpreting the Chassis Info in the Wiki correctly in understanding that the B-30P cab and chassis only would weigh just over 8,000 lbs?

What would the top speed be?

Any ideas on fuel consumption? I am guessing that with, say, a stake body installed, the truck might get 6-8 mpg with no load?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Dennis

Best regards, Dennis

Used to use a B-42 for transporting cord wood for winter with Dad 30+ years ago. Down hill with a tail wind we could hit 50. I'd plan on that and be surprised if it does better. Fuel consumption will be poor. You won't want to commute in it. The weight sounds about right. Fuel was cheap, roads didn't include 4 lane highways and they were built to last so they aren't lacking in steel. Still really cool and nice to occupy some free time. Do you own one? Post a picture if so.

Thanks

Greg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, folks. Yes, I finally bought one on Monday evening. Probably be a couple of weeks before I can get it home. I posted a pic over on my intro post

I was guessing that 50 mph might be optimistic.

First order of business once home is to get the starter repaired, check fluid levels, and see how it runs - guy I bought it from says starter repair, some batteries and a bit of gas and she should start right up but it has sat for about four years.

Once I have an idea of the state of the engine and drivetrain, I will strip the dump body and get down to making the truck look like it did in 1960 ... or maybe a little better. I am thinking a stake body would look nice on there.

Dennis

Best regards, Dennis

With history of gasser back then, I am thinking you won't get 4-5 mpg rolling downhill empty. Put a trailer behind it with a crawler and you will not make much headway very quickly. I know a local fellow with a gasser B model with 510ci motor. It goes through fuel faster then a hole in the tank can leak it. It also won't pull a grade over 35 mph with his little 20ft flatbed doubles behind it. Slow, real slow.

My old 673 pulls my 14K lb trailer okay. My 2000 PSD Ford would run circles around it(that is what I used to use).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Don't worry about going fast with your B. Just look good doing it.

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Good info folks. I am not concerned about going fast but more about keeping up with traffic or at least other trucks. I can see me dreaming up endless excuses to get out on the road with it but I keep having visions of antique car tours where everyone on the road ends up slowing to 1920-1930 speeds.

Gotta git 'her home and see what I got. Some folks here have suggested repowering - I might have to seriously consider that. Fodder for a new thread.

-Dennis

Best regards, Dennis

I think a good deal of the mystique comes from the original power train in the old stuff. If it's just for play you could always put in more speed friendly gears, a different rear or a two speed to help out. It will be less able to move heavy stuff but if you aren't hauling it doesn't matter. I love a good 5.9 Cummins but not in a Mack. Just my opinion.

Greg

• Like 2

a B42 will get 3-5 mpg loaded or empty and usually went about 52mph. a few went 58 if they had overgear trannies but would take thirty football fields to get there. most B30's weren't much better but drove a few that were fast. the bigger overhead valve 464/540/707's had more grunt than a 673 and would outpull them in the mud or offroad but lke others said, would go thru gas worst than an old 477 or 534 Ford

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg