SCR Fault

j_martell

Second time in a month, cel and a message "SCR Fault, engine will derate soon". Code come back def system loss of prime. Sitting waiting at Mack now, and there's a crew of roofers and a crane waiting on site for me......frustrating.

post-14397-0-81608500-1396439746_thumb.j

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

ECM SPN 5392, Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Dosing Valve Loss of Prime – MID 128 PSID 121

FMI 31:Aftertreatment Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) pressure build up failure-

Possible Causes:

• Empty DEF tank
  • DEF filter clogged
  • DEF inlet pipe leak or blockage
  • DEF pump assembly

They had it fixed by 4:00 that day. Looks like a new def doser.... When I got my stuff out of it, they had the steps and kick panel off the passenger side of the fame and were working on taking the after treatment system apart.

• 1 month later...

The 88 always comes through....lol

It happens again on Friday morning, so back to the shop it goes. They have had it since Friday @ 10 am and it's still there now, waiting for a def pump and I won't get it back till this afternoon. Good thing there's rain in forecast and I don't have much doing today anyway. But this shit is getting old fast......

• Like 1

Just around the corner from Mack and I got this "new" error message

post-14397-0-78074200-1399894966_thumb.j

When I got to Mack, I checked the codes and got the same old 5392 loss of prime code and this one

post-14397-0-08700400-1399895092_thumb.j

That's what I keep reading......and it been in at least 3 times (this last one might have been 4, but my memory sucks) with the damn codes and it keep happening. I was actually starting to wonder if DEF "salts" like fertalizer does, and if the crystals float or sink. Seem every time it's happens the def tank was between 1/4 & 1/2. Maybe plugging the strainer??? But then I also read that the pump pulls DEF from the lines back to the tank on shut down, would that not effectively clear the strainer temporarily???? Crap.....thinking out loud, and now my head hurts....where's my damn beer :)

"Beer Assistant!!!!"

Yes it pumps it back....But your crystallization issue is the biggest issue I'm seeing. Its never going to go away.

We are stuck with it. Ugh.

Can't wait till my new ones are out of warranty. Yikes!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 5 months later...

I run 2012 granites off road these systems are pure JUNK!!!

Delete the shat! OTR performance or have genesis tune in NJ reprogram the ECM to turn systems off! Yes cost 2000.00-3000.00 bucks but figure def fluid for year mine were at least 2 times week asking for parked regen at least 3.5hrs down time per week. So figure it all up and I was loosing approx $25,000.00 per yr per truck version no system how do they expect small Indy to survive they don’t give a shit as long as you buy there parts it’s a real shame!

I’ve been sitting at a diesel repair shop for 3 hours now because of “def dosing” problem. Not sure whether it was a froze def line or a chunk blocking the line. I’m very greatful I’m not an owner operator. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

• 1 year later...

Mack Trucks are now total Junk. Ever since Volvo Bought Mack They Have Been Junk. The computer systems on these trucks are the worst i have ever worked on . The scanner software is no better. We have Tech tool on our pc and most of the time it fails and we have to repair the software before we can even scan the broken vehicle..! It is very frustrating.. The poor bulldog is ashamed to be on the hood of these turds.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:18 AM, Hvtech said:

Mack Trucks are now total Junk. Ever since Volvo Bought Mack They Have Been Junk. The computer systems on these trucks are the worst i have ever worked on . The scanner software is no better. We have Tech tool on our pc and most of the time it fails and we have to repair the software before we can even scan the broken vehicle..! It is very frustrating.. The poor bulldog is ashamed to be on the hood of these turds.

I'll give that an AMEN! None of us know what would have been if Volvo had stayed out of it, but this sucks. There is almost nothing I like about Volvo.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

2015 Mack CXU613 PEN. MP8 505hp. After treatment problem started at 475k now has 545k presently in the shop for the same. About every 2-3 wks.

Cost so far approx. $ 25,000.00 no telling what this will cost. Same codes keep reoccurring. Plus lost income I figure maintenance cost about $ 1.00 a running mile. Agree with steeler, junk!!! Never again. Have another make on order due in Sept. can't wait, hope I can survive until then.