Gold Bulldog Trucks

Question, I'm making plans to paint the 79 RD685 I just purchased. I know it is a gold bulldog truck so my question is, in 79 what all was gold? As far as I can tell, the dog and the bottom part of the atenna base. I have seen picutres of some with gold around the headlights, is this accurate?

Also, would appreciate any ideas/pictures or input on paint. It was originally white, so I'm thinking either white or red?

I'm curious, haven't got around to asking my dealer, but can you buy the mack gold engine paint? The oldsmobile gold looks close.

I'm leaning toward Red, also for the bed. Then painting out the spokes and rims the way they should be, black spoke & grey or white rims. Not that it really matters but my CH and lowboy are red with white buds.

I also don't recall anything but the dog and base being gold,never seen a factory gold antenna base or headlight frames,i agree with Superdog,always thought door dogs were sharp on a Superliner...................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Thanks guys, gold dog on hood...check, gold engine.....check........ Also my antena base was gold at one time, it's pitted and faded like the hood dog but I can definately tell it was gold. It does have a mack 8 track radio, not sure if they all had mack radios at the time. The gold headlight trim I saw was on a DM but still might not be correct, just made me currious. I'm a little old fashioned when it comes to keeping as much of it original as possible. LOL....I've been shopping for 8-tracks too...hope it still works.

Might try and find some of them gold half dogs for the doors too :)

• Like 1

I will also vote red. My GU is white(cab) and black(frame etc) and it ALWAYS looks dirty.....hard to keep a white and black and chrome trash truck clean lol

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Found the pic of that DM with gold light trim, also had gold grill mesh. Not a real good pic, but this is the truck I went to look at and ended up buying the truck that wasn't for sale :) This DM wasn't a bad truck, just needed more work than I had time for, it's still available.

The "grill " is an after market piece.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I pick red too. Now what shade....lol I told the painter fire truck red.. I did get a little sticker shock for paint price, but he does go the distance on prep. He also said that red paint itself cost more? I don't think the truck will slow down anytime soon for the paint, might have to wait until winter, well see. Got about 40 loads to hall with her on first job, I'll post some pics.

j martell-you need to stay out of the landfill

just go to a transfer station

that's the only way my truck stays near clean

I haven't been to the landfill in months.....4 of the 5 places i haul to are transfers, its the job sites, our farm, the gravel yard, sitting on site for tear off with the bin on the truck (asphalt roof dust makes one hell of a mess of a white truck) and this fn winter that wont fn go away.....it looks good (in my opinion) when it clean and shined up, just gotta time it with the weather....lol

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I have see 100% Mack built trucks have gold dog on the hood and doors only. never seen gold Headlight rings or the antenna mount....early maxidynes were painted gold until the epa stopped them....some macks even had gold dogs on the mirrors. Not sure if the mirrors were a personal touch? only seen a handful of mirrors with gold dogs.If I recall the gold dogs on the mirrors were on fire trucks I had seen?