Well I got Bertha out and had someone pull me down the road just to see if she'd turn over. The transmission was fine but wouldn't turn the motor, the clutch just started smoking. The last year she was registered was 1981 so it's really not surprising but I do know she was running when parked. She was actually inside at first and someone using the building decided to drag all of my grandads stuff outside thus the broken windows and extra rust. What's the best way to try and break the old 673 loose?

Use a breaker bar on the crank pulley or what? I'm also going to check the tanks, filters, governor, pump, and intake before trying again in hopes of cranking next time. I'm going to pull the injectors and fill the cylinders with the acetone/ATF mixture. Think adding penetrating oil to the mixture would help?

I know there are more experienced people on here that will give better advice. My take would be really check it out if its been sitting this long, hydro locked, stuck pump, sludge or junk in the pan, if it starts be prepared if it runs away. Most likely you will not have these problems just be careful.

No acetone in the engine it breaks oil down it doesn't add lubricity.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Are the injectors held only by the studs with nuts or is there something else too? I haven't started anything yet. I'm trying to wait on my manuals to get here.

Yes use two small pry bars under the ears and see if they will pop out,if not you may need to use an injector puller.Forgot to say just remove the nuts from the studs there is nothing else holding them.

I would never tow a stuck engine in gear because that is the best way to bend rods I know of.Like been stated jack one wheel up and put in hi gear.If its a air shift ,shift to hi range.Then rock back and forth after soaking the cylinder with what ever.That is all the pressure you need to put on it.If that is a 673 there is a small hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing that you can put a screw driver on the ring gear teeth and get a lot of pressure on the flywheel also.

• Like 1

glenn akers

I would never tow a stuck engine in gear because that is the best way to bend rods I know of.Like been stated jack one wheel up and put in hi gear.If its a air shift ,shift to hi range.Then rock back and forth after soaking the cylinder with what ever.That is all the pressure you need to put on it.If that is a 673 there is a small hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing that you can put a screw driver on the ring gear teeth and get a lot of pressure on the flywheel also.

what he said

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."