Sterlings and a Mack

Timothy Maikshilo

That's a crime if that truck got scrapped,those big old Sterlings are cool old trucks.

I agree with you Mike, pretty awesome trucks. Back in the mid "80"s in Bridgeport,Ct there was a big white and black one. I believe it was near Black Rock Turnpike....Maybe Bryan would know about this?

This one?................I was told when the property that the station was on was sold to make room for a bar/restaurant (which is there now) the truck sat for years in dis-repair before being sold and going under the torch!.................Mark

Remember the towing guy in Bordentown NJ he had 1 or 2 a those, also there is a guy in Boonton NJ that has one with a Cummins motor an a tandem chain drive! He has a yard full a old A-Cars an a building full a old tractors! The shame of it is the Sterling is just wastin away! what a shame!!

BULLHUSK

This one?................I was told when the property that the station was on was sold to make room for a bar/restaurant (which is there now) the truck sat for years in dis-repair before being sold and going under the torch!.................Mark

You guys sure that "Sterling" isn't a Biederman? Biederman made a lot of big tandem boom wreckers like that during WW II.

I think that truck in question could be a Federal,Biederman or White as they were made by different companies for U.S.Government. Joe D.

JD-you are correct- I did a search on Biedermans and found a piece that said Federal and Biederman built the same wrecker for US Army air force in WWII. Not sure iof it mentioned White. I'll try to post article if I can figure out how to do it.

Reason I originally said it was a Biederman is because of the horizontal slats on the hood panels

There's a collection of that kind WW2 army wreckers in the Overloon museum in The Netherlands.

Hope you can point out the difference from the pics.

Vlad- you the man! thx for pix. Truck onn left is Sterling -see verticle hood panels? truck on right is Biederman-see horizontal panels? Or possibly Federal as article I saw said both company=ies built this wrecker for US army.

• Like 1

Yes, you can see the logo's well if you download and increase the pics.

Nice to see these beasts sitting in the woods, hope some of them are survived.

Looks like the trucks are equipped with Timken-Detroit axles.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

These two were both in Bordentown,NJ at one time,i think Haines (orange) is still in existence,but think Lynchs (yellow) is prolly beer cans now!....................................Mark

I took a day load down to US Pipe one day an pulled over an spent a good hour climbing all over that Hains truck an talkin to the guys in the shop monster truck !! Try an guess the weight on that thing!! Geez!

BULLHUSK