Serial number

R means its an R model, the 6 means its an R600, the 86 means it had a 300 Mack motor from the factory, the ST means tandem rear end. Then 28431 means its the 18431st R686ST made. You just subtract the number in the beginning by 1 because Mack began their serial numbers with 1.

Someone will correct me if im wrong but I think I got it.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

I have a 1979 R model with the serial number R686ST28431, could anyone tell me the specs on this ?

Thanks, RZX

A little more info...

If I recall correctly, the "86" means the engine was the ENDT 676 Maxidyne, which I THOUGHT was the 285HP version. Of course, I might be looking too far back. Maybe by '79, it was a 300 (EM6-300?).

As Vinny stated, the "S" means "tandem" (Six sets of wheels). Also, the "T" means it was originally built as a "Tractor". If originally equipped as a "platform" truck, it would have been an R686S, for instance.

Somebody want to add to that engine bit?

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

I'm new to this serial number stuff but I thought that a double frame would be indicated by a RD model. I have another question, are 44 rears visible by the cone shaped axle covers ? I'm starting to like this site!!!

I'm new to this serial number stuff but I thought that a double frame would be indicated by a RD model. I have another question, are 44 rears visible by the cone shaped axle covers ? I'm starting to like this site!!!

The RD is actually a different model. An R could be ordered single or double framed. I suppose they would do a triple if you wanted! I've seen triple walled B80's.

The cone shaped hub is indicative of a double splined axle. This axle shaft is splined on both ends. The hub in not attached to the axle. The hub is splined to mate to the axle. These are great axles.

A 44K could be either flat hub (integral) or coned (splined). Some guys say the number of bolts in the hub indicate the size, but I'm not positive.

The numbers off the axle housing or build sheet are better indicators.

• Like 1

cones on the axles were 38's an up. they were called ''full floating axles'' because the axle was splined on both ends. the 38's and up also had 58 inches bolts holding the cone on while most but not all of the 34's had smaller bolts. never really god the RD and R letters. the older heavy steel nose R models used to be RD's but when they went to the ugly slant nose hood in the earl 90's they called that an RD also. used to be years ago S means straight truck, X meanssingle axle heavy duty, SX meant tandem heavy duty, ST was six wheel tractor or Short tractor. I have seen S and ST's with double frames or single frames also.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Not to put too fine a point on it, but, technically, a "full floating" axle is any axle where the wheel hub is retained solely by the bearings, and not the axle.

And, Mack's nomenclature for a straight truck was "platform", and was designated by the letter "P". This was very common on B models. But it wasn't used that much on the R. I do recall P designations on several R400 series trucks though...like an R401P, below.

post-11199-0-03342300-1388601846_thumb.j

RZX,I have a 79 r model also.My serial # is 33171.My father brought 20 of them.Serial # starting with 33165-33184.I still have the orignal order sheet.It has 169wb,ENT676-300 series Maxidyne 285 hp.This is the last one we have left.This truck has only 72,000 orignal miles.I willpost a picture of it when I get home.We used them all for pullingdump trailers.I can remember crossing the bridge over into NJ weighing 113,000 taking a load to the landfill.The price we paid for each one was $44,904 that was with us supplying the tires.They gave us a tire credit of $1896 on each truck.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...
1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

It happens,,, and the 3- 24 months later,,,,   :)   You did your part.. always good to see you post..  jojo

Thanks Jojo , I don't stop in very often this time of year. 

I see  your busy helping people . BMT is lucky to have you . 

I still wish you could come north , lol . I don't have a good Mack mechanic . Wish I did 😀

• Like 1

Keith