New Mack motors

I was at Allentown Mack and of course they tried to sell me a truck, but I told the salesman that I did not like the Volvo engine. Well here we go... He tells me "that's not a Volvo motor, it is in fact a motor designed by Mack and Volvo together ! An entirely new motor" So what's the scoop guys ? Is what he tells me true or B S

BULLHUSK

The engine was originally designed by Volvo not Mack. If you look at the VD engines prior to Mack and then after, the basic block is the same. Mack did/does have a hand in developing the "MP" for Mack applications. I too don't like hearing Volvo but sometimes the truth hurts.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

The Mack-branded engines are 100 percent Volvo engines, designed by Volvo in Sweden and produced at Volvo Powertrain. The MP7 is a rebadged Volvo D11, the MP8 a rebadged D13 and the MP10 a rebadged D16.

For the Mack applications, the Volvo engines receive different color paint and software programming.

The Mack-branded chassis is a Volvo platform as well.

There is no "joint venture" (two companies in cooperation). Volvo purchased Mack in 2000 and naturally does as they see fit. This is the price America pays when we allow foreign truckmakers to buy American truckmakers. Now, the Mack-branded truck is an assembly of Volvo global components less the legacy cab and hood.

The Mack-branded engines are 100 percent Volvo engines, designed by Volvo in Sweden and produced at Volvo Powertrain. The MP7 is a rebadged Volvo D11, the MP8 a rebadged D13 and the MP10 a rebadged D16.

For the Mack applications, the Volvo engines receive different color paint and software programming.

There is no "joint venture" (two companies in cooperation). Volvo purchased Mack in 2000 and naturally does as they see fit. This is the price America pays when we allow foreign truckmakers to buy American truckmakers. Now, the Mack-branded truck is an assembly of Volvo global components less the legacy cab and hood.

Yes sir, that's what I thought.

Actually the the MP's are different from the volvos. Besides the software, mack runs a different type of egr and cooler. I thought maybe they had different cam profiles too

The Mack-branded MP engines are Volvo engines, adapted by Volvo to meet North America's EPA2010 emissions. Volvo builds their D-series engines in many variations, including from Euro-3 to Euro-6, and EPA2010. But they are all Volvo engines.

to me it doesn't matter as long as they perorm nd are reliable. I think the mack mp is just as good or better than any other modern desel engine. they all have there problems. Detroit engines are rebadged Mercedes engines . paccar engines are European design . so if you want an American engine you have to buy a cummins and they certainly have there problems. I wouldn't let the Volvo thing scare you.

• Like 1

Aside from Cummins, the DD13 (OM471) is the only engine performing well in the US market because it is the only engine that was designed from the onset for EPA2010.

All the other engines (with the exception of Cummins) including the Volvo D11/D13/D16 (Mack MP7/MP8/MP10), Maxxforce 11 and 13 (MAN), Paccar MX-13 (DAF), DD15 (Benz OM472) and DD16 (Benz OM473) were designed for Euro-6 in Europe, and then adapted to the more stringent EPA2010 emissions.

Yes we may not like it, yet it's the cards we have to play with. I'm not as much up set with the Volvo thing as much as the gov. and all the crap that's messing up the way these engines run. Just think how good these eng would be if all that time and money went to performance.

What would we do if we weren't sitting around waiting for some emissions test or part.....oh....right.....lol

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

to me it doesn't matter as long as they perorm nd are reliable. I think the mack mp is just as good or better than any other modern desel engine. they all have there problems. Detroit engines are rebadged Mercedes engines . paccar engines are European design . so if you want an American engine you have to buy a cummins and they certainly have there problems. I wouldn't let the Volvo thing scare you.

I'm sorry but you are wrong on the Detroit engines, the top head an value design as well as the piston and the Detroit electronics has been around long before D B took them over, if anything they learned from us! There MB 4000 motor was Redone more like the US Detroit using there transposed valves as well as the Detroit electronics ,the whole top end of the motor is based on the Series 60 12.7 motor, but they now use a common rail fuel system (i think Mercedes) instead of the Detroit unit injectors

Bullhusk

• Like 1

.................but they now use a common rail fuel system (i think Mercedes) instead of the Detroit unit injectors

They use a Daimler-specific Bosch high pressure common rail fuel injection system. Under the Detroit brand, they call it ACRS (amplified common rail system). Under the Mercedes-Benz brand, it's called "X-Pulse".

Bosch and the Cummins-Scania joint venture are the leaders in high pressure fuel injection.

They're the same engines. Looking at the bright side, atleast Mack is still around and lots of Americans still have jobs. I'd rather be working on a VOLVOmack engine then not working at all.

Mack Trucks is no longer "around". It was purchased by foreign truckmaker Volvo in 2000. Only the nameplate is still around, affixed to North American market Volvo truck platforms (that was mentioned above). I don't see any "bright side" to the current situation. For America's iconic Mack brand to be owned by Swedish truckmaker Volvo is shameful.

It's always good when our fellow Americans have jobs, but it would be much better if they were employed by American companies that inherently have their priorities in our great country (e.g. rather than Sweden). Förstår du?

I'm sorry but you are wrong on the Detroit engines, the top head an value design as well as the piston and the Detroit electronics has been around long before D B took them over, if anything they learned from us! There MB 4000 motor was Redone more like the US Detroit using there transposed valves as well as the Detroit electronics ,the whole top end of the motor is based on the Series 60 12.7 motor, but they now use a common rail fuel system (i think Mercedes) instead of the Detroit unit injectors

Bullhusk

I was thinking the same thing Ernie.

I think it actually all started with the 11.1 motor.

Ron

Mack Trucks is no longer "around". It was purchased by foreign truckmaker Volvo in 2000. Only the nameplate is still around, affixed to North American market Volvo truck platforms (that was mentioned above). I don't see any "bright side" to the current situation. For America's iconic Mack brand to be owned by Swedish truckmaker Volvo is shameful.

It's always good when our fellow Americans have jobs, but it would be much better if they were employed by American companies that inherently have their priorities in our great country (e.g. rather than Sweden). Förstår du?

You sound like one of those hard headed Allentown old Mack guys. Im going to guess you were an engineer or above and refused to change your old Mack ways. You seem like a very intelligent guy, why so much disgust?

I don't think hard headed or disgust. I'd say some one who nows that mack is gone. To the degree that Volvo has come in and said we will save the name but you are going to use all are hardware. And that's why mack is gone theres no joint development like Renault. It the Volvo way or no way. But I stand to be corrected.

• Like 1

I don't think hard headed or disgust. I'd say some one who nows that mack is gone. To the degree that Volvo has come in and said we will save the name but you are going to use all are hardware. And that's why mack is gone theres no joint development like Renault. It the Volvo way or no way. But I stand to be corrected.

What is there to correct?

Ron

You my friend have hit the nail on the head! Even though I do not like foreign companies buying American companies either I still think that if Mercedes bought Mack they would have let Mack do more on their own then Volvo has done with Mack I see that Mercedes let's Detroit Western star and Freightliner do more or less a lot of things the American way and not the German way just my opinion

BULLHUSK