Generators

mike69mackman

Having decided that NASCAR has gone the way of wrestling, I have decided to stop organizing camping trips to the tracks with my friends.all the campgrounds we stated at had full hookups so I didn't have an issue till now. I'm planning on attending both macungie and lititz and help out. I looked into buying one of those quiet generators but 12-1800 bucks . I can't justify the cost for using only two weekends. My camper is equipped with a deep cycle battery but I don't think it's enough to run my fridge, wTer heater and shower. Don't want to buy a regular generator as they are too noisy and my neighbors would kill me lol . Any thoughts? Can they be rented etc. mike

One guy took a one wire GM alternator and mounted it and a small engine on a plate. He had a battery mounted on it also. He had a good muffler on it where it would be loud. He just left it in the back of his pickup. You would not have to run the engine real fast. Anyway he had a wire coming from the battery with an RV plug on it. He had two conductors in the wire a pos and a neg. He would plug it in to the light wire on his trailer and charge his battery.

Doug

Your fridge is not dual elec/propane? same with water heater? I once was going to rent a generator for a week and it was going to cost 3/4 of what I could buy one for and still had to buy gas and take it back so I bought a 7500/5500 from Lowes several years ago was around $650 came with accord etc.. 30 amp circuit, have not used it with my camper but have thought about bringing it before.

Harbor freight has a neat little one for a around $100 or less wont run AC but should run everything else, I have thought about buying one as a back on the camper because it is small and light weight. Get you a 20% off coupon or wait till its on sale and that's a cheap back up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/900-peak800-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-gas-generator-60338.html

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

In picked up a few years ago a Honda EU1000 for Hersey and Carlisle. Puts out a 1000 watts max, 2 AC 110 volt 15 amp plugs. A 12 volt lug to charge batteries. As loud as regular conversation when under load. Runs 4 hours on gas under load and almost 8 just running small RV fridge. Size of a milk crate and weighs around 30 pounds. Cost $775 two years ago from the Honda dealer with a good warranty. My cousin picked his up a Tractor Supply for a few bucks more. I even take it to jobs to power my 110v Miller mig welder. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Buy a small generator to keep the battery charged. For the money, a Harbor Freight portable might be the way to go.

I am undecided what to use on my trailer. An Onan RV generator would be ideal but cost is $500-$1000.

If you buy a generator, can I park next to you if I bring a LONG extension cord? :whistling:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

just went to main web site link http://www.harborfreight.com/ and that generator is on sale for $99, any how I was looking for the solar panel set up that they have because I have thought about that to, just add a couple more deep cycle battery's and that solar kit and you would be all set, but for the money the generator would be the ticket, 20amp runs for 5 hours, maybe get a bigger tank set up but if you only use it at night would be plenty, just turn it on and leave it run til it was out of fuel each night, if you thought it was to loud you could but it in insulated box or cooler

Robert

Harbor freight-you get what you pay for.

Look on Craiglist, sometimes find a good one cheap

If you offer the neighbors some power, they won't complain about the noise

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Harbor freight-you get what you pay for.

Look on Craiglist, sometimes find a good one cheap

If you offer the neighbors some power, they won't complain about the noise

Hat...I agree. I read the Harbor Freight generators are made in China and are Honda "knock offs". The local RV dealer has a Dometic (electric start) 2600KW for $799.

Ken

They maybe knock offs but they stand behind there stuff, the clone Honda engines run good, and if you are only gong to use it once in awhile the money saved is money earned (( The local RV dealer has a Dometic (electric start) 2600KW for $799.))

My experience with HF stuff is it works and lasts as long as more expensive or dies/breaks at first use. If you google HF engines everybody loves them and they last.

Robert

I think ID put two or three good deep cycle batteries in there and mount two good size solar panels on the roof to charge em, that or buy one of the little Honda's.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

My friend has one of the little buzz box Harbor Freight generators, 1000w? It basically is a weed eater motor and sounds like it.

The 1000/2000w Hondas are stupid quiet and if need to run one at night it is not an issue. If you only need power during the daylight hours I would not get too concerned about a noisy generator. I hassled my buddy one day after starting his little Honda. I told him I hope I don't have to listen to that supid thing all day(at the race track). We all got a good laugh. It is as quiet as a low humm. Seriously quiet.

I just put an Onan on my truck to power my race trailer. Paid $500, then made a box and fuel tank for it. You could piece meal something together a lot cheaper then what I did. Kinda overkill for your situation. Like mentioned, get a solar panel and use it to charge your deep cycles. I have two deeps in my trailer to power radio, lights, frig, water pump, winch. One was surviving, but with more accessories I add I just put two in it. Plus with 2-3 day weekends the one would be pretty dead by the last day.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On the noise front, newer Honda twins are very quiet. We have a 12000 watt generator on the cold ply spray trailer, and even at near full load, sound like it's idling. The 40' conveyor I pull has a honda 630 motor in it, and the hydraulic pump makes more noise.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

I would only run it long enough to heat my water and shower. Maybe a half hour. But now that I'm reminded my fridge and water heater also use propane probably less.

If I am connected you will be running it 24 hours. :notworthy: But if I can use your fridge, etc. maybe. :whistling:

Ken

Buy a small generator to keep the battery charged. For the money, a Harbor Freight portable might be the way to go.

I am undecided what to use on my trailer. An Onan RV generator would be ideal but cost is $500-$1000.

If you buy a generator, can I park next to you if I bring a LONG extension cord? :whistling:

just get a reeeeeeeeeeeeeally long extension cord and plug it in at home.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.