Dayton(spider) rims..but chrome

I have yet to find chome dayton (spider) (demountable) rims here in the good old usa. If you look at enough australian truck pictures they are almost entirely chrome.

I found a website that sells them

http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/details.aspx?R=14247626&__Qpb=1&Cr=16&__Ns=p_StockRankSort_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_String|0||p_Year_Int32|1||p_StockPrice_Decimal|1&__N=1552+1715+1550+1600+1602+1601+4294958837&silo=1701&__No=15&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=1054&__sid=13F49A35E749

I am not going to buy from australia...but WHY cant you buy them here in the USA? Arent americans more apt to spend the money for these?

The other question is HOW would they work? i know that the rim clamps have to clamp against the rim to do their job, chrome wouldnt have much clamping ability would it? Maybe they have special clamps for these rims?

I know that i could drop a rim off at a chrome shop and have them chromed...but that would be expensive right? wouldnt the chrome be thin and the first clamp break the plating?

All this is curiousity... but i cant say that i wouldnt buy them at $250 a piece if i saw them on ebay.. because i really do think they set off a good set of daytons visually.

I've liked them too, but never really looked to see who made them or if someone just chromed what they had. I'd keep my spokes if I walked into a set cheap enough? If you can buy them new for $250, that seems pretty cheap. To get a good, professional quality chrome job I bet it would be more then that. Plus have a nice enough piece to chrome(not beat up, bent or chiseled on).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

We used to have em on a dump truck, actually lots of old dump trucks had em here. I can't remember who made them but they have to be around I'll do some asking with my ATHS guys and see what I can find out.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Not a fan of chrome on wheels (prefer aluminum....nice to look at, and not too brite), but those hoops look sharp with the painted spiders....

I like the looks of the chrome rim but also prefer aluminum. Would an aluminum rim work on a Dayton spider or does it have to be steel? Has anyone tried "chrome" paint?

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

That looks like clear powder coat over chrome or polished aluminum from the pics.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

As a dump truck I don't think they who hold up long as many flats we have plus they who not have the clamping force as steel.after the chrome starts peeling from the tire man hammering on them you who have to say something to him about it. Then the next flat you need repaired he who let you set all day before he helps you.

glenn akers

A friend of mine used to have a 77 International Transtar COE. The interior was just that of a basic workhorse, but on the outside he had everything chromed that you could. He used to have chrome Dayton rims on the drives and I know he used to just buy new rims and get them chromed. He also had the coolest set of covers over the spiders that were the shape of the spider and not moons, they had spinners on them too. That's the only set I've ever seen. I think he said he got them at the Tiekei truck stop near Battle Creek Michigan they used to have a good chrome shop there, but this was 30 years ago. He used to strip all the chrome off the old Binder for the winter and store it in the house.