"Hybrid" Mack Trucks? Sure, since 1935

What with hybrid (alternative fuel) vehicles being front page news now, I thought it fitting to note that hybrid technology was nothing new for Mack Trucks. Always leading with cutting edge technology, Mack Trucks introduced its first hybrid vehicle in 1935.

Mack Trucks delivered a model 6-CQ-4S hybrid transit bus to Public Service Coordinated Transport of New Jersey who operated it as unit #3100.

Public Service began developing the ASV (All Service Vehicle) gas/electric bus concept with trolley poles and contactor equipment in late 1933.

This configuration, which was legally considered a streetcar and therefore immune to municipal consents required of motor buses in New Jersey, offered standard bus flexibility in obstacle avoidance and eliminated the need for investment in extensive track and internal wiring at bus garages.

As a bidder for an expected large number of units, Mack built the ASV prototype at a cost of $13,000.

Although Mack Trucks did not receive the order from Public Service Coordinated Transport (Yellow Coach won the ASV order and delivered 356 model 729 ASVs between 1935 and 1938), the company found other customers for its advanced model 6-CQ-4S hybrid transit bus and went on to sell almost 300 examples to eleven different operators nationwide from 1935 thru 1938.

Mack Trucks added the ‘4S’ designation and special equipment to a model "CQ" municipal transit bus to create its first hybrid chassis.

Most Mack CQs were 31-passenger municipal transit buses with “CF” engines and four windows between the doors. However the CQ hybrid seated 35, had five windows between the doors and a “CT” motor.

I do have a picture, but from a few weeks ago, the website is no longer allowing me to post pictures.

I recall showing something like 3.91mb of available space, and then abruptly I began seeing the message "You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments ".

Given that disc space is rediculously inexpensive nowadays, I'm puzzled.

I was searching for my old dealership (Wilkes-Barre Mack) some time ago and found these pics

I'm thinking these photos are what you are looking for

They ran locally in Wilkes-Barre PA in late 1930s

post-133-0-66235700-1381633647_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-77709800-1381633568_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-81770600-1381633709_thumb.jpg

Also found Rail buses that ran from Wilkes-Barre to Hazleton PA in late 1930s

post-133-0-00429500-1381633876_thumb.jpg

post-133-0-86402200-1381633895_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

I was searching for my old dealership (Wilkes-Barre Mack) some time ago and found these pics

I'm thinking these photos are what you are looking for

They ran locally in Wilkes-Barre PA in late 1930s

No, those are Mack "CR" trolley buses (CR-3S), not the 6-CQ-4S Mack hybrid bus.

The Mack CR trolley bus was an immensely popular product for Mack Trucks. Some major users were Baltimore, Wilkes-Barre, Cincinnatti, Toledo, Wilmington, Kansas City, Portland and Winnipeg, Canada. (I'll post photographs if/when BMT allows me to post pictures again)

Trolley buses were powered by overhead power lines like a street car. They remain very popular today overseas because they are low maintenance, zero emissions vehicles.

Those rail buses of the Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton Railway are Mack "BK" rail buses (#204 and #206) in 1932.

Me being a train buff too i love the rail busses. Never knew about them

I have a wealth of information on the Mack FCD, the pinnacle of Mack rail bus development.

Always leading America forward with cutting edge technology, Mack Trucks was a pioneer in the United States of the concept now commonly known as "light rail".

Envisioned by Fred Dumaine of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad and developed into reality by Mack Trucks, the advanced Mack FCD was the first modern example of "light rail" in the United States.

No, those are Mack "CR" trolley buses (CR-3S), not the 6-CQ-4S Mack hybrid bus.

The Mack CR trolley bus was an immensely popular product for Mack Trucks. Some major users were Baltimore, Wilkes-Barre, Cincinnatti, Toledo, Wilmington, Kansas City, Portland and Winnipeg, Canada. (I'll post photographs if/when BMT allows me to post pictures again)

Trolley buses were powered by overhead power lines like a street car. They remain very popular today overseas because they are low maintenance, zero emissions vehicles.

Understood,,,,,,,,,,It was worth a shot

gallery_133_137_10125.jpg

Thanks for hearing me out.

You can have the soap box now---------JIM

Interesting discussion here. Just wondering if there are other old models of rail busses of macks.

The various models of Mack rail buses include the AB, ACP, ACR, ACX, AQ, AS, BK and FCD. There also were AH and AR rail buses but I have no informaton on those two models.

Send the Pics to me and I will post them..............since it appears I have some bandwidth left!

PM me and I can set it up.

I tried to PM the pictures to you, but BMT is not allowing me to do so.

My articles on the background of Mack Trucks only serve to enhance the popularity of the BMT website. I would assume Watts Mack finds this desirable. But obviously, there's a need to post pictures in support of the article.

I'm extremely busy but am thrilled to write these articles as/when I have time. I rough drafted one article last week on the plane from Brazil and another during a layover in Dubai. I only ask for the ability to post supporting photographs.

I do have a picture, but from a few weeks ago, the website is no longer allowing me to post pictures.

I recall showing something like 3.91mb of available space, and then abruptly I began seeing the message "You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments ".

Given that disc space is rediculously inexpensive nowadays, I'm puzzled.

Too sorry and strange to learn you was limited with your posting any way.

I too like all the history you posted, it gave my much education.

Lots of interesting facts and I'm shure I'm not the only one who think that way.

Hope you and BMT administration will find solution.

Many thanks for the work you've done and continue to do.

Vlad.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012