B61 Oil And Fuel Filter

FYI I looked on here for the info and never found it so I decided to post.

Just changed oil and filter last night in my 1958 B61 with the 673END

Wix/Napa numbers

Oil Filter 1554- uses the smaller Luberfiner 500 canister, drain plug on bottom with copper washer 15/16", vent bolt on top, holds about a 1.5 gallon of oil. ((Inspect copper washer for damage, this is what prevents the plugs from leaking))

<<<<The O-Ring is the same for both the 500 and the 750 housings>>>

The part number is -Luberfiner 2788, Fleet Guard(Cummings) 101853S, NAPA FIL 5414

Remove plug at bottom and drain, remove band clamp, pull filter out, clean and inspect inside housing and rubber gasket, replace drain plug, replace with new filter, fill with oil, replace top cover and secure with band clamp and crack open vent.

Drain engine oil and refill, holds 15 qrts or just under 4 gallons check you dip stick

Start engine observe oil pressure and tighten vent. Check for leaks, don't over tighten

Fuel Filter 3090- canister mount right front engine. Remove line from top fitting, then turn nut on top and remove, remove filter and clean canister, replace filter and fill with about pint of fuel just to the top of the filter, oil and install rubber gasket, retighten cover, install fuel line.

Start engine let idle for a few minutes and you should have no problem with air. Check for leaks,dont over tighten.

Local NAPA has the Oil Filter for $21 Fleet Filter is $10.95 http://www.fleetfilter.com

Fuel Filter is $13.49 and Fleet Filter is $6.99, I am sure you could check Oreilly or Carquest but I buy 99% of my filters from Fleet Filter, I figure out my filter needs for the year and buy 1,2 or 3 of each depending on equipment or vehicle, that saves lots of money.

Rob

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Don't forget the inspection plate on the bottom of the oil pan. Its round and has a screen inside that you need to remove and clean. this is to be done with the engine that uses the 500 lubefinder.This is all that filters the oil before the brgs see the oil.

glenn akers

• 4 years later...

Mine was no where near as bad as that but it was a bit sludgy.  I only realized it was bad when I got on the highway and truck started slowing down(lack of fuel).  Pulled it apart and it was ugly.  Of course then I realized the housing was rusted through and had to replace it also.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Unless you are worried about authenticity I would go with a new spin on type affair which are readily available. Nothing wrong with the type you have either.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Hi Rob,  After searching the web for a while, I agree with you about a new style fuel filter.  The old Mack parts are not overflowing from the internet shelves and the original parts that are out there can be used by guys doing true restorations.  

I like using original parts when I can, but frankly, it will take more dollars than I have to restore this truck to its original glory.     

Thanks

Yup, once I started chiseling the gunk out of the bottom of mine, it had a hole.  I was able to get another canister for mine from the original owner.  He had another wrecker chassis with a motor and a good canister.  I also put a spin on/separator next to the drivers tank.  I change that randomly and it surely saves the wear/tear of the old style hanging on the motor.  If you can't find a new can, just put a spin on unit.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

If it were me I would get a dual unit for a water separator and fuel filter mounted behind the fuel tank on the driver's side of the truck. These old trucks tend to set a bit and condensation/moisture draw is more of a problem than something that runs the roads daily. There were no water separators on B series I'm aware of factory installed but these trucks weren't built to be collected/stored and set more than they were to run so the sump in the bottom of the tanks would suffice for water separation. Just had to drain them occasionally. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.