A day in FDNY Fire Fighter

41chevy

I like to see this kind of thing. I worked on ships and boats for a long time. I worked for twenty five or so years offshore on the drilling rigs. I got to see a lot of the world. I was an electrician. That brings back memories looking in that engine room. Keep up the good work.

Doug

Paul I guess we will meet up some day as I to will work on the Firefighter . Missed the oppurtunity to move her back in Jan as I was on Vacation in S C and missed the boat ! 10 hrs under her own power with out a problem after sitting for 2 years. The boat needs lots of work and will be moved to Newburg New York in the summer

I saw her in action that week after 9/11. Was flying in and out of Battery Park for seven days immediately after the attacks for the CT State Police, hauling Troopers and Cadaver dogs in and out of the city in Trooper One to assist NYPD. Had some down time and walked South in the Park and came upon Firefighter moored there in a marina, pumping away. Some sight, pumping right out of the Hudson, dozens of lines running off her supplying water to the scene that was still burning pretty heavily. I heard she was retired the week before 9/11 and was brought out of her retirement to assist, not sure if that's accurate though. Glad she's being preserved. Lot's of history in that fire boat.

Paul I guess we will meet up some day as I to will work on the Firefighter . Missed the oppurtunity to move her back in Jan as I was on Vacation in S C and missed the boat ! 10 hrs under her own power with out a problem after sitting for 2 years. The boat needs lots of work and will be moved to Newburg New York in the summer

We will defiantly meet up. I'll be volunteering most every other weekend til mid June at least. I' m easy to spot...grey hair, goatee, a bad limp and a large cup of Joe at all times. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Charlie Ritchie, of upstate Cold Spring, NY is president of the fireboat museum based in Greenport and Jeffrey Jonap is the director of operations for the boat

http://www.ufanyc.org/cms/contents/view/15134

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

41 Chevy- you may very well see me at some point. I was recently very active in the restoration of the former USCGC TAMAROA WMEC-166 until the project was scrapped by the owner due to lack of needed funds. As I have always been an admirer of fireboats and especially the Firefighter, I may very well become involved with this, just wish it wasnt out on the ass end of Long Island, thats a 3+ hour ride for me, probably more on a Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

I am now facebook friends with Charles, and have been communicating with him. If the owner is who I think it is, I have been friends with him for a while- he owns a warehouse with about 200+ firetrucks. he is truly dedicated to preserving fire apparatus history- if it is indeed who I think it is.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Matt you did see the Firefighter[ marine 9] that day 9/11 but the boat was in service till 2011 The story is about the boat tied up next to it the retired Harvey witch sat from 1990 when taken out of service till about 2000 when it was saved from the scrap pile by a group of people. It was orderd back in service by the FDNY to ferry people to N.J. , after a few trips it then orderd to tie up at the Battery and start pumping and pumping it did for 3 days with out missing a beet Also tied up that day was the FDNY fireboat Mckean [ marine 1] The 3 fireboats supplyed the only water to the towers for 3 days ! In 2010 the Mckean was replaced by the 343, I have a shot of the 343 taken from my boat on it's first day of service 9/11 2010. The new Firefighter2 is a twin to the 343 , 50,000 gpm and 150 psi to anywhere in Manhatten

post-538-0-59834000-1367348800_thumb.jpg

Just last week I was invited to attend the retirement party of a close friend on the job, which was held at Marine Co. 9's quarters, and was fortunate enough to receive a tour of Firefighter II. Have a boatload of pics- that boat is nicer than my house....Hell, the engine room is nicer than my house!!!

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

41 Chevy- you may very well see me at some point. I was recently very active in the restoration of the former USCGC TAMAROA WMEC-166 until the project was scrapped by the owner due to lack of needed funds. As I have always been an admirer of fireboats and especially the Firefighter, I may very well become involved with this, just wish it wasnt out on the ass end of Long Island, thats a 3+ hour ride for me, probably more on a Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. I am now facebook friends with Charles, and have been communicating with him. If the owner is who I think it is, I have been friends with him for a while- he owns a warehouse with about 200+ firetrucks. he is truly dedicated to preserving fire apparatus history- if it is indeed who I think it is.

To bad you can't hit the Cross Sound Ferry from Bridgeport CT to Port Jefferson coming from Pa. Only about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours east of there. The Ferry fare is less than the tolls.

Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

MADDOG93, thanks for that. I was a little in awe during those days and wasn't really looking at the boat names. Those new ones are truly impressive, to say the least. Such a day, it altered my life significantly and it's never been the same since. Writing this from Afghanistan, pulling my third tour. I love NYC and make several trips a year there with my wife. Took my nieces and nephews to Ground Zero after I got home from my first tour in 2004.

Edited by mattb73lt
  • Like 2

Thanks for your service! I was a draftee in 1970... still in awe of you people! Thanks again! Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE