Kids today

David

I hear these stories from my parent all the time!

Well, I'm 27 but I wish we could go back to those days. I'd gladly trade in my iphone for the chance to buy (and pay for) a brand new R model. I'm really worried about the overall sense of entitlement that people my age and younger seem to have. Let's go back to the times when if you didn't work, you didn't eat!

I would love to buy an original, mechanical brand new Mack

Matt

David,

That was funny, I am 52 and back in the early 80's when I was dating my wife I was gone all week running Coors Albany to Boston everyday sometimes twice, moral of the story is I carried a coffee can in the truck filled with change to use a PAYPHONE. And also got around with just an atlas.

• Like 2

Don Hancock

David,

That was funny, I am 52 and back in the early 80's when I was dating my wife I was gone all week running Coors Albany to Boston everyday sometimes twice, moral of the story is I carried a coffee can in the truck filled with change to use a PAYPHONE. And also got around with just an atlas.

Was Coors still bootleg in 1980?

I know it was in Jersey (Coors) when i would run out west,a local tavern owner and friend of mine would always ask me to " pick-up a case or two" on my way back east. It was CHEAP in Colorado for a case,and i think he sold it in the can at the bar for something like $6.00 a can! til the novelty wore off,and it became available on the east coast........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

II think it was 84 or so when it came to New England, We ran out of Guilderland NY, loaded us off of rail cars, had to have a reefer at 40 degrees. I usually ran Boston all week then on Friday I delivered to Gallo Distributers in Goshen Ct, load up with empties drop my trailer and bobtail home to Stratford for the weekend.

Leave the house about 5 Monday morning pick up the trailer and be in Guilderland for 8am.

Don Hancock

Ha, I remember the first cell phone in our family it was about the size of a briefcase. The first hand held cell was that giant Motorola that weighed about 5 lbs. I had a pager till I was 21 then I got a fancy Nokia cell phone that lasted about 4 hours on a charge and had enough memory for 50 numbers as I recall. Oh and it had 1 ringtone, that's it. I remember pay phones and atlas's well I still don't trust a GPS I was taught the old way, before you leave use the atlas and plan your route. I remember playing pong on my Atari too, we got a Nintendo and thought duck hunt was the best thing ever made, now the games on my phone confuse me what happened to having 4 buttons and a directional?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

When I growd up we didn't want to be in side. After school and after cartoons on saturday outside until dark. Course I was por if I wanted a bubble bath I just farted in the tub. Course that was the good ole days. Work in the hay field all summer long and on the farm after school to have beer money. I sure would love to go back to them days. I'm only 44 but those were the days.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

I agree the kids have it made now days. I drove past the high school the other day and saw all the new cars and trucks out front. I know a lot of the mom and dads drive the fender flappers and the kids driving the fine rides. There is something wrong with that picture.

Doug

• Like 1

Ahhhh, such fond memories.

Outside til the streetlites came on

Drink water from the garden hose

What was a bicycle helmet?

Shovel snow for some money

Remember when Dad got one of the adjustable TV antenaa's

Box on top of the TV. Would make a hell of a "clunk" sound as it turned

And Saturday am cartoons were "the best"

• Like 2

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Forgot to add:

Phone was attached to the wall. could only walk about 3 feet from it,

OR get a looooong coiled cord that dragged on the floor and everyone tripped over it

A dishwasher was the lady of the house and/or kids

• Like 2

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I still have an antenna ROTOR!!! Yup, unhooked my Dish and put a stick on the roof for FREE TV!!!! Yup, the box goes clunk, clunk as it spins around LOL!!

I think of the 70's alot anymore. Maybe it wasn't "Better", but sure seems by todays standards. I still remember getting the first fax machine at work and the owners finally being able to go one a one week vacation to Florida. Though we had to fax daily reports down so they could see what was going on. Today, they go for 3-4 months at time LMAO!!! Times have changed.

I still have the company "Bag phone" in my office. Just a little reminder. Man, what the last 25 yrs have changed in the world.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Forgot to add:

OR get a looooong coiled cord that dragged on the floor and everyone tripped over it

When i was a kid I was the remote control for the TV,Pop would slap me in the back of the head and say "put that thing on Gunsmoke,we'll see what Festus gets into this week"...............................................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

When i was a kid I was the remote control for the TV,Pop would slap me in the back of the head and say "put that thing on Gunsmoke,we'll see what Festus gets into this week"...............................................Mark

Thats what happened to ya, too many slaps to the head!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I grew up in the suburbs and there is another form of communication I remember. It was a female voice, in high pitch and at full volume, screaming (your name here). This usually occurred around dinner time and could be heard within a several block radius, at least you hoped it could for your own sake.

Try to raise a child today under the circumstances we grew up with and you'd be considered an unfit parent, yet I can't think of another era I would've rather been born in. The 60's and 70's were a great time to be a kid.

• Like 2

Jim

Forgot to add:

We had a family of 7 sharing ONE telephone.

Oh the humanity!!!

Jim