Your thoughts on exporting old macks?!

Go to solution Solved by mackman1965,

Exporting old Macks?!  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care if old macks are exported to third world countries?

• YES i care,keep them here!
    • NO,send them out of the country!

If they stay here rotting in fields, they will be sold for scrap. If we let them go they can at least live on as they were intended to be used. Even if they only live on for 5-10 more years , that says a lot about these old Mack's ....

I would love to save them all but that's just not going to happen....

There are people all over the world that enjoy owning a part of history which is Mack. There are many on this sight and I have seen this first hand in my travels and they are very proud to be a part of the Mack culture. Enjoy what you have and help your friends when you can, life is to short to be negitive.

Exporting to country that is using the trucks,maintaining and restoring them is one thing.Sending them to a third world hell on earth to a painful death is another.I think some people are confused on what upsets some of us,and are lumping the two together.I for one LOVE the Aussie style Macks and how they treat and use them.

Exporting to country that is using the trucks,maintaining and restoring them is one thing.Sending them to a third world hell on earth to a painful death is another.I think some people are confused on what upsets some of us,and are lumping the two together.I for one LOVE the Aussie style Macks and how they treat and use them.

I agree!

Matt

OK,here's my chance to piss some people off,but I've never been one to beat around the bush.I'm as against exporting our old Macks as much as anybody,and I've probably saved more old Macks from the crusher than 90% of the people in here,but the people to blame for all these old trucks being available for export is today's drivers.If I have big trucking company made up of old R models with 300's and 5 speeds and Cruiseliners,and MH's on camelback, and my competion has brand new Visions,,Volvos,KW's and Petes with A/C,CD players,heat,P/S,air ride,autoshift,cruise,big bunks and fancy seats,whose seats are going to be filled??????Granted there are a few of us hardcore guys that drive the old equipment with pride and are damned happy doing so,but we are very,very ,very few and far between when it comes to the big picture. And the days of Overnite and Smith Transfer and Matlack are gone,guys,They'd buy new F's and R's run them 10 years and fefurb them and run them some more.When they finally got traded,there was a good US market for them,farmers,local haulers,poor O/O's all ran old R's and F's and U's but now those same farmers and other 2nd hand buyers want 379 Petes with 425 Cats,and W900's and Classic FL's and the ones that don't give a shit buy the IH 9400's and Volvo's and Columbias.OK,so we got all these R models and DM's and MH's and Superliners on the market,chances are good that the some if not most of the best will find good homes here,then we got the ones nobody wants.The guys in Africa and S.America have some of the toughest conditions on the planet and they need the toughest trucks on the planet,and they got the money,which unfortunately $$$ means alot more to Joe Trucksalesman than the history of Mack trucks.So they buy up the old ones right and left,and parts right and left.Now,contrary to what some of you have seen and heard,Most of these trucks get cared for as good or better there than here.Yes,there are some that don't,but there are some that don't here too.Look at the pics from Puerto Rico that EM285 posts,those guys down there love there Macks too.So,what do we do?One thing you can do if you don't like Macks leaving the country is go out,put your money where your mouth is and each person in here needs to buy 150 Macks,already got my 150,so I'm done.What is there 3000 memebers or so?that's 450,000 trucks saved,problem solved.Otherwise just sit back and save the ones you can,and hope the rest go to the good homes,where they continue to uphold the old Mack legacy as the Greatest Name in Trucks.I'm done,throw stones if you like.

Thats very well said Mike. My goal now, is 151. :twothumbsup::clock_logo:

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

If the trucks that are exported are utilzed to work and improve people lifes I don't mind ,

We have a guy here that keeps Mack in is yard and he doesn't want to sell any nor sell parts

nothing, he keeps everything and they all rot to the bones !! so instead of keeping it like that

I guess he should help the others to refurbished their truck with local parts to a decent price .

Also having Mack all over the wolrd is a good thing becasue it means this make is worthwhile .

my 02 cents

• Like 2

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

If the trucks that are exported are utilzed to work and improve people lifes I don't mind ,

We have a guy here that keeps Mack in is yard and he doesn't want to sell any nor sell parts

nothing, he keeps everything and they all rot to the bones !! so instead of keeping it like that

I guess he should help the others to refurbished their truck with local parts to a decent price .

Also having Mack all over the wolrd is a good thing becasue it means this make is worthwhile .

my 02 cents

Yes but most exporters want old trucks not new ones so what would Volvo care

Matt

Yes but most exporters want old trucks not new ones so what would Volvo care

hum ! I did not write anything about Volvo !! I konow exporter wants only old truckl because they are the best .

I know it is sad but we can't save them all , I'd love to save more but my $$$ are rare letely .

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

I understand your pain guys, but there are some reasonable moment as usually in the reality is.

If we talk about trucks for a work, it was noted above most people prefere them new.

If we talk about rare/antique - vehicle comes to be rare when not many still in existance.

So nobody need any common thing/truck untill there are lots of around.

As for people who like old iron and enjoy to have it and look over - try to get as much as you can and can to care about.

Everything you can not is the faith and not a hard reason to sorry much.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

OK guys, one question... is "exporting" to Canada ok with you guys?... we exported OUR homebuilt Macks to you with no complaints..!!! LOL

When we take a step back we have to consider how small our planet is today... world trade in used trucks, ships, planes, dozers etc 25+ years ago was a slow ponderous exercise controlled by an elite group of businesses... now, with internet and cellphones, tweets and all insundry anyone can find anything they want on the planet, same day.

Superdog... you nailed it

I used to work in the aviation industry... nobody complained when hundreds of used American made Boeing 727's went to third world countries to be used in ways Mr Boeing never thought possible... to the new owner in the jungles of Africa or mountains of Bolivia it opened up commerce, food in and manufactured goods out, they finally parked the long obsolete propellor spinning avgas gulping old Douglas airliners that were well past their last legs...

the world is becoming a level playing field with the US and EU superpowers fading fast, what were once backward countries are now revitalised with oil and mineral exports, China is in Africa big time helping out countries with their infrastructure... and all this creates a trickledown effect where small operators in the far flung reaches of the globe can actually afford and easily acquire the truck he has dreamed of, a Mack. Once he has spent his entire wealth on one truck do you think he will trash it on day one?, not likely. Will he fix it up and feel the same pride of ownership as you?, yes.

Are there shady dealers, dangerous trucks, rotted cabs... yes... but there is hope the next owner will fix it... they've gone through the effort and expense so why waste it.

If you think that any particular truck on the market today is a national treasure and "somebody" should save and restore it... well, that person is YOU, mortgage the family jewels if it is that important to you.... but, we have to refrain from complaining about those "******* exporters", they are merely filling a worldwide need which will not only continue but expand.

one man's opinion

BC Mack

• Like 1

OK guys, one question... is "exporting" to Canada ok with you guys?... we exported OUR homebuilt Macks to you with no complaints..!!! LOL

When we take a step back we have to consider how small our planet is today... world trade in used trucks, ships, planes, dozers etc 25+ years ago was a slow ponderous exercise controlled by an elite group of businesses... now, with internet and cellphones, tweets and all insundry anyone can find anything they want on the planet, same day.

Superdog... you nailed it

I used to work in the aviation industry... nobody complained when hundreds of used American made Boeing 727's went to third world countries to be used in ways Mr Boeing never thought possible... to the new owner in the jungles of Africa or mountains of Bolivia it opened up commerce, food in and manufactured goods out, they finally parked the long obsolete propellor spinning avgas gulping old Douglas airliners that were well past their last legs...

the world is becoming a level playing field with the US and EU superpowers fading fast, what were once backward countries are now revitalised with oil and mineral exports, China is in Africa big time helping out countries with their infrastructure... and all this creates a trickledown effect where small operators in the far flung reaches of the globe can actually afford and easily acquire the truck he has dreamed of, a Mack. Once he has spent his entire wealth on one truck do you think he will trash it on day one?, not likely. Will he fix it up and feel the same pride of ownership as you?, yes.

Are there shady dealers, dangerous trucks, rotted cabs... yes... but there is hope the next owner will fix it... they've gone through the effort and expense so why waste it.

If you think that any particular truck on the market today is a national treasure and "somebody" should save and restore it... well, that person is YOU, mortgage the family jewels if it is that important to you.... but, we have to refrain from complaining about those "******* exporters", they are merely filling a worldwide need which will not only continue but expand.

one man's opinion

BC Mack

Exporting to all countries is OK except Africa and Haiti the poor trucks are beat and beat harder there. The exporters tell you "20yrs from now the truck will still be running, it wont look the same but it will be running with probably the same oil in it too"

Matt

Ha-ha, now I can sleep really easy.

My R's were not exported from the States, they're from Canada!

Vlad... you're welcome..!!!!

please enjoy those 'Canadian' trucks and thanks for the business... :twothumbsup:

and we are enjoying the Kamov KA-32 Helicopters we got from your country, great for heli-logging, hope it didn't upset anyone when they left Russia.

:whistling:

BC Mack

• 1 month later...

:SMOKIE-LFT: I prefer to see them stay in North America anyway at least the good trucks , if they are all rotten then let them go to Africa and places like that. I just don't like seeing good trucks go there and get beat to sh!!! My Dad had a 94 CL 613 with E9 500 he bought new. He got the brain fart to quit trucking when the truck was 3 yrs old. He sold it to a Mack dealer near Toronto and the salesman that came and picked it up told us he had a buyer in Buffalo NY and a bigger money buyer also wanting it to send to Africa wanting it mainly because it had big 365/65/22.5 steer tires witch they intended on filling with dope and smuggling it overseas. I don't know where it went but I got a bad feeling it went for a boat ride. I know my old man kicked himself ever since for selling that truck.