Chris Sissick from Hanks Truck Pictures called us to the mat on Photo Linking

Barry

Vision 386. I feel your pain but don't get overly bent out of shape- over one Hank's site pissant contributor Mr. S---K. 99% of their contributors are decent sorts as far as I can tell.

I'm not angry,just pisses me off when something like this happens,as far as i know (which ain't much!) i did'nt do anything wrong,NON-COMMERCIAL use only,i never photoshopped anything out of the pictures (would'nt begin to know how!) and always tried to include the fact that any pictures "borrowed" did come from Hanks,and did so in the spirit of the hobby,which maybe some at Hanks are not aware of! (sharing) some not all,mind you,i'm sure some of the guys over there are just as dumbfounded by this as we are!..............................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Barry; Well said; if this truck thing doesn't work out for you I see a future in politics or the law for you!

When I went to college, back when Capt. Marvel was still a Lieutenant, we were taught that you could use any reference as long as you attributed it to the author or source. To me, if you leave the photographer's name and the web site attribute on the photo you are doing just that.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Here is a link to the new Hanks Photo rules. At least we know how we all stand now.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/htp_photo_use_policy.htm

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here is a link to the new Hanks Photo rules. At least we know how we all stand now.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/htp_photo_use_policy.htm

Hmmm, still states non-commercial use above the big paragraph.

Thanks for the update. I have never been to Hank's website (that I know) and now I KNOW I WILL NEVER go there in the future.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Well that is all fine and dandy, but I still doubt that THEY are getting everyone's permission to take the picture of someone else's property.

Sooooo...some big supermarket chain might be upset that a picture of their truck has been copywrited by a photographer that then posts it on Hanks's.

Hank's does enjoy a double standard...

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Well that is all fine and dandy, but I still doubt that THEY are getting everyone's permission to take the picture of someone else's property.

Sooooo...some big supermarket chain might be upset that a picture of their truck has been copywrited by a photographer that then posts it on Hanks's.

I guess they forgot to edit out the big letters in the rush to update the policy..:)

I have been a forum member there for a few years and like ATHS and Just Old Trucks I lurk. Did notice today there is a thread on hanks called "Confrontations" about how to get pics of trucks whether the drivers or companies will allow it or not. Apparently all of us who make money behind the wheels of trucks are A Holes when it comes to allowing photos taken. Oh well, there's still plenty of other people who enjoy trucks with out attitudes. Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

KUDOS Barry. Very well done. After spending nine years building houses in Florida retirement communities I learned you can't win an argument with a moron. Some of these people have nothing to do but watch soap operas and play shuffle board. The best thing you can do is say "I don't believe this conversation is going to be conducted in a professional manor. Therefore I choose to not continue it". And walk away.

Reminds me of an old saying i heard once,"you can't have a battle of wits with an un-armed person"..............................................Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

As someone said before, if they don't want people to download or link the pictures they would brave used a simple JavaScript code to disable the right click function. They didn't so there is no stopping people from using those pictures.

I find pictures from my shops website all over the Internet on various sites across the world. I can only guess but in the last 5 years there could be close to 30,000 images on my site I personally photographed, cropped, enhanced, and uploaded. I can guarantee that's more pictures they will ever have posted. Lately I have been putting watermarks on our pictures since I have also found them being used by scammers.

Not once did I email the owner of the website (not scammer) and say remove the picture. Get your heads out of your asses!

OK, I can kind of seeing where this is coming from..A few years ago there was an issue with certain parties taking photos from Hanks and claiming them as their own. I too was a victim of it, but I have over 1000 truck pics on Hanks, Flickr, photo bucket, this site and many more so if I was worried about someone using it they would still be on my pc instead of on the web.. Every photo I post on this board was taken by me..I don't do it for money, it`s a hobby, I don't put a stamp on it..Now if someone were to find a way to make money with them I`d like a cut. :whistling: And if you like one of my pics enough to save it I`m flattered by that..Oh and if you ever get to the Applebees in Cortland NY and see the Brockway pics on the wall, yeah those are mine and I did make a little on that deal....

• Like 2

Still the Greatest Name in Trucks...Bulldogs rule, The rest drool....

Member ATHS and ATCA...

Here is Chris's reply...

I was hoping he would be more understanding and open for debate but it looks like a closed case! LOL. I'll remove the pic but I have also contacted Hank's about the copyright and to see if we can use his stuff in a limited manner under the fair use act or maybe even in exchange for an ad banner? I am awaiting response from Hank's.

In the mean time, feel free to request permission from any of Hank's photographers before you post. They say that they are pretty flexible so I am curious to see how that goes!

Barry, Great response. What you have proposed to him is a great compromise that a REASONABLE person would find hard to refuse.

Under photographers rights you don't need to have permission to take photos of privately owned items such as vehicles on public property. you can even shoot photos of vehicles on private property as long as you are on public property. trains, trucks, ships and other commerce are fair game for photographers, UNLESS there are signs stating no photography.

As far as copywriting a photo of company property that you have no legal of fiscal ties to, I can't see how thats possible, thats one for the lawyers.

I carry a copy of the photographers rights under US law when I`m out and about.

Member ATHS and ATCA...

I realize that photos can be taken of lots of stuff and most people don't care one way or another.

My beef was that one of Hank's member made it sound like they "always" do the right thing with permission, waivers, etc. Well, just by looking at some of the photos, that is impossible. Some of the trucks are driving on highways!

How are they getting permission for the photos?

I also laugh at the number of manufacturers brochure photos that have been "copywrited" into someone's collection.

Once again, I think Hank's has taken the "collection" concept to the extreme.

Just having fun in the sun!

Carry on, Jim

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

You don't need permission to take a photo of a truck driving down the highway. If a guy is sitting in a truck at a truckstop, it would be courtesy to say "do you mind if I take a photograph of your truck" if you say yes, the photographer can do whatever he want's with the photograph. If the guy is'nt sitting in the truck the photographer will probably take the pic anyway.

This is about ownership or the photograph, if you own the truck, it does'nt mean you own the photograph.

• Like 1

So the people who own the property have no rights and you can do as you wish with your camera?

P.T.CHESHIRE

So the people who own the property have no rights and you can do as you wish with your camera?

Pretty much..now they can ask you not to take photos and you can oblige..but unless any wrong doing can be proven the photographer is in the right...

Member ATHS and ATCA...

You can't just walk on to private property an take photos, but the street or a car park or a gas station, well you would need a sign saying you can't take photos on this property, then the guy with the camera would walk to the sidewalk and take a pic.

It's really quite simple.