Recaps by Michelin

Anybody have any opinions with recaps done by Michelin. We have always put virgins on and have been hearing about how good the michelin caps are. Looking at the massive cost difference between caps and virgins, seems like its worth trying. We run local, running no more than 245 miles total a day all highway driving. We monitor air pressure and tire wear regularly. If we go this route we will go with the xdn2 design which also seems to wear good. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Up until last month, I ran Michelin tires...then sent them back for Michelin caps & ran 'em again....then sent them back to Michelin for a second capping & ran 'em again. I only capped tires I bought new, and use those crossfire things to monitor air pressure. I had 1 tire start pitching chunks of tread on the second cap, but it didn't come apart and it got me where I was going to deliver. Singled it out at the receiver & got credit for the unused portion of the tread....had another tire at the house to put on.

Overall, I was generally impressed with them. I had always been against recaps, too...bad experiences with the "fleet" recaps the companies I've run with have used...but needed tires & couldn't afford virgins. They do a pretty good job inspecting cases and have high quality control standards...quality in = quality out. While I'm still not really willing to try their caps on somebody else's cases, I would cap my own cases again if I needed tires and money was tight.

I went with BFG DR444 on the drives this time around....not happy with them at all. Lack of traction for one (compared to the Michelin XDE M/S I had been running) and even with the closed shoulder, there really isn't any noticeable difference in mpg. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll have these capped with the XDE M/S tread or if I'll just trade in the cases when I run 'em out for new virgin XDE M/S tires. If I stayed on the pavement all of the time, I might consider the XDN2...still kicking myself for trying a closed shoulder tire....but it was $100/tire less for the BFG.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

We used to run some Michelin caps on dump trucks, they ran pretty good for us although we always run closed shoulder and I think it was xda h/t tires with the same cap, on the tags we always ran xze caps they run forever. I have 8 matching virgin toyo cases on the superliner right now that are pretty thin, I just priced bandag megatrak I think, they look like a bridgestone 726el to me and at a third the price of a new tire its hard to argue.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

We used to run some Michelin caps on dump trucks, they ran pretty good for us although we always run closed shoulder and I think it was xda h/t tires with the same cap, on the tags we always ran xze caps they run forever. I have 8 matching virgin toyo cases on the superliner right now that are pretty thin, I just priced bandag megatrak I think, they look like a bridgestone 726el to me and at a third the price of a new tire its hard to argue.

We have been running the Bandag Megtrak for a couple years and they have been great. Good wear and good traction. I am a big fan of recaps. Drivers love to blame tire failure on the recap, not the fact that they ran it low for 3 days. Normally we only cap our casings, and even then we scrutinize them before we send them in. We have a local fuel hauler who has us do his service work. Him and his driver are 2 of the fussiest guys when it comes too their trucks. They run Bandag Megatraks and they cap every casing twice. -Bard

We have been running the Bandag Megtrak for a couple years and they have been great. Good wear and good traction. I am a big fan of recaps. Drivers love to blame tire failure on the recap, not the fact that they ran it low for 3 days. Normally we only cap our casings, and even then we scrutinize them before we send them in. We have a local fuel hauler who has us do his service work. Him and his driver are 2 of the fussiest guys when it comes too their trucks. They run Bandag Megatraks and they cap every casing twice. -Bard

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

10-4!

I know I'm gonna take a lota heat here but................. For the last year or so I've been using a tire from Mc Carthy Tire over in PA, It's called 'Double Coin'. It is about $80 per tire less then most top brands and is guaranteed in writing to cap 2X's as long as the casing is ok. The tire is wearing like iron.................BUT It's made in China! I know I said I would never do it !! But after your casing credit an the $80 bucks, it don't pay for me to run the caps

Regards

Ben Arnold

I know I'm gonna take a lota heat here but................. For the last year or so I've been using a tire from Mc Carthy Tire over in PA, It's called 'Double Coin'. It is about $80 per tire less then most top brands and is guaranteed in writing to cap 2X's as long as the casing is ok. The tire is wearing like iron.................BUT It's made in China! I know I said I would never do it !! But after your casing credit an the $80 bucks, it don't pay for me to run the caps

Regards

Ben Arnold

We used them a couple of times, they are great tires.

Regards

Ben Arnold

You, sir, are part of the problem. When there is no demand for American made products, there will be no American made products...and all of the jobs that went into making those products will be lost. If a tire doesn't say "Made in USA" on the side wall, I really don't want it on my truck.

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

double coin carbon copied a michlen tires, for years same tire for a fraction of cost use to buy Datyons, exact same thing as a firestone and made in a america how ever the domestic tire companies have shut down alot of there short lines, Kelly springfields, dayton, dunlop, remminton are either completely out or very hard to get, I blame the tire companies for getting a little greedy

Up until last month, I ran Michelin tires...then sent them back for Michelin caps & ran 'em again....then sent them back to Michelin for a second capping & ran 'em again. I only capped tires I bought new, and use those crossfire things to monitor air pressure. I had 1 tire start pitching chunks of tread on the second cap, but it didn't come apart and it got me where I was going to deliver. Singled it out at the receiver & got credit for the unused portion of the tread....had another tire at the house to put on.

Overall, I was generally impressed with them. I had always been against recaps, too...bad experiences with the "fleet" recaps the companies I've run with have used...but needed tires & couldn't afford virgins. They do a pretty good job inspecting cases and have high quality control standards...quality in = quality out. While I'm still not really willing to try their caps on somebody else's cases, I would cap my own cases again if I needed tires and money was tight.

I went with BFG DR444 on the drives this time around....not happy with them at all. Lack of traction for one (compared to the Michelin XDE M/S I had been running) and even with the closed shoulder, there really isn't any noticeable difference in mpg. At this point, I'm not sure if I'll have these capped with the XDE M/S tread or if I'll just trade in the cases when I run 'em out for new virgin XDE M/S tires. If I stayed on the pavement all of the time, I might consider the XDN2...still kicking myself for trying a closed shoulder tire....but it was $100/tire less for the BFG.

Sorry to hear you don't like the 444's. I really think they are the best drive tire for the money, but I don't go off road either. You may find they'll last longer than the Michelins though based on my experience.

About the caps, like everyone else here said, they can be a great value, just be sure to use your own casings.

You, sir, are part of the problem. When there is no demand for American made products, there will be no American made products...and all of the jobs that went into making those products will be lost. If a tire doesn't say "Made in USA" on the side wall, I really don't want it on my truck.

Exactly! couldn't have said it better myself

I said I would take the heat, but as far as me being part of the problem? How can a co. in China make a tire with the same FET (tax on the rubber in the tire) with a better guarantee for $80. less then a US CO? Dayton tire (class 8 truck tires are now made in China) are they any cheaper? NO thay are not, the double coin is 70 bucks cheaper Theres where the problem's are, as well as D.C. US companies are going over to China to save money and put it in there pockets! Like I said I want to buy US products, I make sure all my cement hose an couplings are USA as well as my brake drums an bearings,all elct. stuff starters alt. but when your buyin over 200 tires a year it adds up. I would pay 20 to 30 bucks more for a US made tire and I do when ever they have a sale on them I buy them, all my steer tires are made in the USA . Like I said I know I'm gonna take some heat, but we del. cement an flyash to the NY LI NJ CT market, so I"m in the fryin pan every day any how!!! LOL

BULLHUSK