how hard is it to put a B model cab on a R model chassis?

i saw advertisement in a old Overdrive mag where Mack used to sell R Model cabs and hoods to convert your B in to a R.Kind of like a reverse glider kit.It is not impossible to do but will probably make you have to think a bit and a little fabricating.

i saw advertisement in a old Overdrive mag where Mack used to sell R Model cabs and hoods to convert your B in to a R.Kind of like a reverse glider kit.It is not impossible to do but will probably make you have to think a bit and a little fabricating.

Thats called a BCR. My friend Al has one restored. If he see's this he should post a picture. Haha. :twothumbsup:

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Ya, back in the day, BCR converts your B into an R model.

The only issue I see with someone putting a B onto an R chassis is the fact the front axle is too wide and the tires stick out. Livable, seen a few like that. Just not my cup of tea.

The ones I've seen have jacked the cab up a few inches to clear stuff.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Ha,Ha! When I went to our local Mack dealer for parts (for the BCR),the guy at the counter new nothing of the BCR kit and told me they should have made a RCB kit to convert R's into B's! Seriously folks,there was a honey wagon at Macungie a few years back that was a B mounted on an R chassis, I believe.It was on eBay a while ago, and it had ended up in Californy,I think?.post-510-0-36246700-1357015819.jpgpost-510-0-22048500-1357015849.jpgpost-510-0-77310000-1357015903.jpg Kevin All did one HELL of a job on that B-75 he sold to Kevin Stark.That one is built on a newer chassis,I don't know what model it was on though.

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Ya, back in the day, BCR converts your B into an R model.

The only issue I see with someone putting a B onto an R chassis is the fact the front axle is too wide and the tires stick out. Livable, seen a few like that. Just not my cup of tea.

The ones I've seen have jacked the cab up a few inches to clear stuff.

Matt Pfahl's B has a Super-Liner front axle under it,and it doesn't look too bad.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

yup, he said it was a pain in the ass to put in tho cause the holes for the springs are about a half a hole off. it can be done. i remember the honey wagon at Macungie a few years back to. not sure if its the same one or not. the one i remmeber had a Pete battery box set up on it.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

What about putting the R driveline in the B?

As long as you stick with the 672 cu. in. (675,676,type engines) wouldn't think there would be much in your way. Ron( b61mack) has a beautiful example of a B with an R model powertrrain in it! 300+,13 speed,Mack rears on Neway air,and Matt Pfahl's 350,12 speed,Mack rears on Neway.....SLICK! :clock_logo:

ok the Tip turbine is the intercooler on the driver side right? the big Plenum that says Mack in block letters with a filter? thought those were only on the 300+ engines? maybe im confused

The filter looking item in the box is the air to air with a small turbo type fan forcing air through it to cool the turbocharged air to the intake manifold.

Used on 285 and 300+ and have been retrofitted to 350's as well in B model conversions when there is no place for other styles of air to airs.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.