Your First Mack?

I just realized after reading the other my first mack post, we could all share our first Mack driving Experience so why not?

The first Mack I ever drove was a 1981 Rd tri axle dump truck, it was converted from a road tractor, it had a Mack 9 speed and a E6, it didnt pull very hard loaded to 74000 but it was a Mack R model and I was happy to get out of the 84 GMC Brigadier with a 240 cummins and a 13 spd and NO A/C hauling asphalt in the summer.

whos next?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Me is the next.

The first Mack I ever drove was ex-army gasser NM. I unloaded it in 500 meters from a trailor that transported it to me from Holland.

Whole a rig couldn't come into my thin street so I had to go with Mack. There is EY707 with 5 speed Mack direct in it. Axles and a transfer case are Timken-Detroit, that's original.

And it is six by six and 1944. It's me betveen the steering wheel and the seat.

post-3971-0-62328900-1352056139_thumb.jp

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

i forget what year it was but this was the first mack, 300 5spd, ran paper rolls from leola PA to FL every week then cat litter back up to harrisburg PA 2 years on the east coast.

Dammit that's a good lookin truck! Rest Rite sleeper, too! My 4th and final assigned truck at my previous job was a '91 CH that was in the shop getting a new turbo while I was on my last run for the company. I went out in style behind the wheel of an '89 R690T with a Rest Rite sleeper.

100_2101.jpg

Back to the original subject, the very first Mack I ever got behind the wheel of and relocated under it's own power was a 1964 B61ST with a 13 speed triplex. It was an unsuccessful attempt by my Dad to teach a 13 year old the 2 stick boogie.

My first "money maker" was an '84 R690T daycab with an EM6-250 and a 5 speed. This was followed by 2 more R models with similar specs.

213-1.jpg

Jim

This is gonna be a great thread. First Mack I drove was my 1975 U685ST when she still had her tandem rear end. It was one of the first times Papa took me up to Doug Fetterlys, and this was before we even thought about buying a truck. Doug said, Vinny come over here, he said get up there and drive it around, so I hopped up there, Papa go in the passenger seat, doug pulled the hand throttle out a little bit, put it in gear and said, let the clutch out easy! So I drove her in a circle. The second Mack I drove was a 1979 R model. I drove it a few yards so Doug could use the air on it. When I drove my U it didnt have a trailer on it, and the R didnt have a trailer on it either.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

first mack i drove was a 89 superliner with a e9500 and 18 speed fuller. the first mack i drove alone and hauled a load of logs with was a 93 superliner with a e7400 and 12 speed both trucks had 50k lb camelback rears. i still drive the 89 big dog once in a while

First truck I ever rode in and steered around the yard was in my dads 1977 R model, 285 with a 5 speed, I was about 5 years old. First truck I ever drove was when I was 16 it was a 1978 RS700L . 285 with a 6 speed. I was riding with a driver and he had the great idea to let me drive for a half hour on the south side of Chicago. He shifted for me and I just kept the truck steady.

Nice looking rig Mike. Do you know where that truck is now?

no Vinny,I don't.Dad got a new Cruiseliner in '80,and that truck got moved to #3 spot with a hired driver.I drove it a few months after I got out of school in '85 until I got my '67 F model roadworthy.We kept it around for a spare for awhile then Grandpa took it to a Tayor&Martin auction in Peoria,ILL. Lost track of it after that. VIN was WL786LST38709 if anyone runs across it.

My first Mack was a 1962 H67T END673P duplex that I bought in 1988. Stretched the wheelbase and installed an 18' flat bed to haul my restored Cockshutt 570 Super farm tractor to shows. I still have the Cockshutt but sold the truck about 15 years ago.

Macks #2, #3, #4, and #5 were all MH612s from Martin's Pastry; Chambersburg, PA. I still have #5. :whistling:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

My first Mack was a 1962 H67T END673P duplex that I bought in 1988. Stretched the wheelbase and installed an 18' flat bed to haul my restored Cockshutt 570 Super farm tractor to shows. I still have the Cockshutt but sold the truck about 15 years ago.

Macks #2, #3, #4, and #5 were all MH612s from Martin's Pastry; Chambersburg, PA. I still have #5. :whistling:

You gotta post a picture of the H model.

• Like 1

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

I feel left out. I haven't ever driven a Mack. I drove the International, but not any Macks yet. My dad drove the beast a couple times though.

Ben

youll get your day dont rush it makes it better when it happens. Im glad there have been this many responses this fast keep it up, I love the pics of the old R models I dont know what it is about those trucks but they are one of the best looking trucks I think were ever built.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

youll get your day dont rush it makes it better when it happens. Im glad there have been this many responses this fast keep it up, I love the pics of the old R models I dont know what it is about those trucks but they are one of the best looking trucks I think were ever built.

Those R models with sleepers are one of the best looking trucks on the road. we had two of them 72 and 77. Ron

First truck I rode in was a B unknown model. then my Dad got his R model. unfortunatley it was a pos. 237, 6speed but it had a road trans and not made for a dump. unknown rears but it was not a dump. It would fly. but it was forever breaking down then someone else wanted it more then my dad did. first truck I drove by myself was a cornbinder triaxle dump 290 cummins and a 10 speed road ranger, Drove an Autocar conversion of mixed parts was an old block truck shortened and was used on site till 595 was finished then sold to my dad. 335 cummins and a 13 speed. drove I think it was a dm had a scania and a 13 speed. Then when i was an equipment operator i would trade my dozer with one of the drivers to go dump DM 237 2 stick 6. Went to work for Commercail Carrier Corp out of Aubundale,Fl and had a Ch613 unknown motor never looked at the tag probably a 300 with a 5 speed. They also had a few single stick 6 speeds. i liked them alot more. The 5 speed really impressed me with the torque. other then that Robs b model and R model are the only other Macks I have driven.