hey guys, im going to look at a 1975 RS700L tomorow for sale. 300k. the original owner say twin stick, not sure of engine. says rust on floor and back of cab. what is the difference from say a rd600? was this called a western style? is it collectable?

thanks ray

It's a west coast r model built in Hayward ca. They were popular model for big hp engines and Will have a taller and longer hood than that of an east coast r600. They seam to be more popular for collectors. Kinda like the super liners are sought after. The frame width is also a little different than the east coast Mack's. It will have the same frame width as other truck mfg.

Hayward built the popular RS/RL600L , RS/RL700L and FS/FL700L ,cruiseliner ,valueliner and super liner,until the early 80s when the factory closed.

till 84 then they all went to PA for the 85 production run, I have seen some sold as 85's with the hayward chassis even though they say they built 84's then closed and moved production to PA for the 85's of course in the early 80's Mack labelled the titles with the year they were sold not built a truck may have been built in 80 and sold in 81 and it was an 81 model I have heard tell of some being built two years before they were titled and as such being labelled two years newer.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Hmmm, maybe I should start thinking about buying a RS. :unsure: CF - RS - CF - RS...decisions decisions :blink:

Did they make any single axle RS?

I have seen one rs600l single axle but I don't know if it was factory, was a neat truck though.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The Western RS/RL 700L models were the fanciest of the Mack R models and had many weight saveing features. In other words they were the Superliners of the day which they were replaced by.

Farmer,

Here's a 1976 RS712LT that was on truck paper recently. Factory single axle with a 300+. Some where I have picture of a RS797LT (factory single axle with a 375 V8)that was on truck paper about 5 years or more ago.

Thanks, Josh

post-4033-0-34614100-1351451898_thumb.jp

Thanks guys for the info and pics. What is the going price for a nice original late model RS single axle (if one can be found)? V8 would be a hot setup but I would settle for a nice original 6cyl. The hunt is on....CF - RS - MHV8....darn can't decide and I definitely don't have the jingle to buy them all! Maybe I better just stay on the porch. :whistling:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

thanks all, i went to see the rs700l saturday. the good part, its all original, the bad, foor rust, back of cab, pretty much needs restoration. i have learned my lesson on rust so am not interested, anyone else want it? they are asking $4500. maybe worth $2000. ray

Thanks guys for the info and pics. What is the going price for a nice original late model RS single axle (if one can be found)? V8 would be a hot setup but I would settle for a nice original 6cyl. The hunt is on....CF - RS - MHV8....darn can't decide and I definitely don't have the jingle to buy them all! Maybe I better just stay on the porch. :whistling:

CAN'T DECIDE? you have an MHV8 in there and you cant decide?........V8 baby!

thanks all, i went to see the rs700l saturday. the good part, its all original, the bad, foor rust, back of cab, pretty much needs restoration. i have learned my lesson on rust so am not interested, anyone else want it? they are asking $4500. maybe worth $2000. ray

wheres it at?

CAN'T DECIDE? you have an MHV8 in there and you cant decide?........V8 baby!

I was thinking about a V8 in any of them...I put a MHV8 in there because I already have a MH E7. But I am starting to accumulate MH parts so maybe I should concentrate on a MH w/V8 (single axle?). I should have bought a second MH from Martin's and repowered one with a E9. Too late now.

Ken

Just got one for, basically, free. 1977 RS700L, 400bc3,13speed, two speeds with lockers, in the process of building it into a long logger. Old boy said "your going to give me 26,000 for that lowboy, you can grab it with your pete or hook that old mack to it and drag it away, either way your giving me 26k." yeah I'll take the mack. Hope I can figure out how to post pictures cause she's in fine shape. almost ready to haul logs.

Here is a couple of pictures of the sweetest RS700L I have seen in along time. Shown at the Trucktoberfest and owned by Brian Misterka of Amherst, MA.

post-2016-0-55985000-1351526278_thumb.jp

post-2016-0-42899900-1351526310_thumb.jp

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Just got one for, basically, free. 1977 RS700L, 400bc3,13speed, two speeds with lockers, in the process of building it into a long logger. Old boy said "your going to give me 26,000 for that lowboy, you can grab it with your pete or hook that old mack to it and drag it away, either way your giving me 26k." yeah I'll take the mack. Hope I can figure out how to post pictures cause she's in fine shape. almost ready to haul logs.

if you cant post the pics email them to me and I will post them for you Always love to see a diffrent RS700L

Lmackattack@hotmail.com

Ken,

Sounds like you have a bad infection - MMD. Mad Mack Disease. According to the medical profession it can only be cured by buying another Mack. But be careful. It will only be in remission. It will come back again.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Ken,

Sounds like you have a bad infection - MMD. Mad Mack Disease. According to the medical profession it can only be cured by buying another Mack. But be careful. It will only be in remission. It will come back again.

Thanks for the info and warning!

Ken

The white RS712 came from the same place as my father's RL712LST. They both had 300 pluses. They were advertised in Wheels of Time several years ago. My parents were out in California for the ATHS show and went to look at them. My father said they were both very nice, but the tandem axle was in better shape. The trucks didn't sell quickly. It was over a year till my father bought his. I don't know how much he paid, but it was $3000 or so to get it to PA. His truck doesn't have any rust on it anywhere. Nothing like the R models around here. I wish it had a V8.

post-7810-0-28699300-1351606510_thumb.jppost-7810-0-99782500-1351606561_thumb.jp

Mike