Duel headlights on R model

Seen 4 round ones, those look like late 70's Caddy Seville units. Nice job though. What do you think Vinny?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Looks to me like someone just glassed in a pair of headlight buckets from another vehicle (1980's Crown victoria/Cadillac Eldorado) going by the parking lights. Not un-common to see a similar swap,but dual headlights were never offered as a factory option on R-models in the American market,only the export markets (Austraila,Europe etc).............................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Looks to me like someone just glassed in a pair of headlight buckets from another vehicle (1980's Crown victoria/Cadillac Eldorado) going by the parking lights. Not un-common to see a similar swap,but dual headlights were never offered as a factory option on R-models in the American market,only the export markets (Austraila,Europe etc).............................Mark

Mark,

Are you sure they were never offered,

I could swear I remember seeing ESB Exide Battery RL's with dual round headlights in them up in our neck of the woods in the late 70's or early 80's?

Ron

Mark,

Are you sure they were never offered,

I could swear I remember seeing ESB Exide Battery RL's with dual round headlights in them up in our neck of the woods in the late 70's or early 80's?

Ron

I have seen those as well,and a few others,but as far as i know no,they were never factory,ErnieDS aka BULLHUSK has an R-model with dual headlights,he has said looks factory,i could be wrong,but i've never seen any brochures,factory pictures etc,even prototypes with duals? other than the ones overseas....................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Here's a pic from the Barrington 2012 show of an R600 fire apparatus, the quad lights do look somewhat custom, I wonder if the body builder was installing them as their "trade mark". These ones I took as factory given the aluminum surround, but after reading the above posts and looking at the style of turn signal light I'm thinking that they were installed after the fact. Probably the apparatus builder?? What do you fire truck experts think?

aths_barrington_107.jpg

I believe that only single round seal beam headlights were offered from the factory on the R until the hood change in 1990 for use in the U.S.

The rectangular seal beam became available in 1976 I believe. 1st manufacturer I can recall was GM on 1976 Regal/Cutlass/Monte Carlo and others but may have been on others.

I dont know about those fire trucks but remember Mack made fire trucks for a long time I think they stopped in the mid 80's as I recall so those may be Mack bodies as well. I think they used Waterous pumps and the bodies were a joint thing with a builder in the northeast but I cant remember, I have some Mack fire apparatus brochures somewhere but they dont show dual headlights that I remember. I do think that both of those hoods were made with that in mind or at least altered by a professional shop the fiberglass is rolled perfectly into the hole and both sides are symmetrical that rules out back yard body work. I dont know maybe the export hoods with dual lights could be had for the right money here in the states I have seen a lot of dual headlight R's, a lot of them are in the PA and eastern KY region and are just quad light buckets in place of the dual round lights in the same mounting location no body work required. I know FDNY had tons of R's and I have never seen a pic of any with quad lights. The pic of the one above with the sealed turn signals under the headlights seems to have the same dimensions as the Austrailian R model hoods that came with 4 rounds just swapped for two dual light buckets, those trucks had a taller headlight area more squared than the american single light hoods. Just my two cents, I cant say I really like them but I do enjoy seeing something different for a change.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Here's a pic from the Barrington 2012 show of an R600 fire apparatus, the quad lights do look somewhat custom, I wonder if the body builder was installing them as their "trade mark". These ones I took as factory given the aluminum surround, but after reading the above posts and looking at the style of turn signal light I'm thinking that they were installed after the fact. Probably the apparatus builder?? What do you fire truck experts think?

aths_barrington_107.jpg

That would be my guess - that the apparatus builder changed the lights.

I think the Cadillac Eldorado had the square headlights first, maybe 1975? The government okayed the new headlights because the manufacturers said they allowed lower hood profiles for better fuel mileage.

That would be my guess - that the apparatus builder changed the lights.

I think the Cadillac Eldorado had the square headlights first, maybe 1975? The government okayed the new headlights because the manufacturers said they allowed lower hood profiles for better fuel mileage.

1975 Eldo, Seville and Toronados were first. I showed the photo to Firematic who builds brush trucks and mini pumpers. They are building a replacement of Manorvilles truck that was burned in this year wildfires. They say SWAB did those style light conversions on their trucks and it also has a SWAB style bumper..

Any Manufacturer tag on the body?

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The owner is not interested in selling it rite now his son wants to turn it into a service truck for welding, so I will check back next year the cab is really rusted has weeds growing inside the cab.

oh my,,,well it looks good in the picture anyway,,,service truck sounds excellant,,,lets hope he follows thru....bob

I'm pretty sure that the four square headlights were added to these trucks during a refurbishment. I have also seen "CF" and "MC" fire trucks with the four square

headlights added during a rehab. The "R", "CF", and "MC"s came from the factory with single round headlights. I prefer the single headlights, that's what

Mack intended them to have.

As to fire bodies used on Macks; when Mack built a complete apparatus they built most of the "CF" models but the "R" and "MB"/"MC" bodies were built by other

manufacturers such as Grumman (Howe) and Hamerly.

bulldogboy

I dont know why I guess all the talk of round headlights, but just thought back to the 80's when UPS had all those MH trucks with single round headlights. I dont think anyone but UPS had them hell their forst CH trucks had round headlights, heres a fun search use bing search and search UPS mack then pull up an image search, brings back memories.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I can go with '75 on the squares. I was only 9/10 in '75 and was kinda thinking that Cadillac may have actually done it sooner but just wasn't sure....

i had a 75 coupe de ville,,,it had square lites,,74 had round,,it was one of the best cars i ever had,,that was in 79,,,now thier too old,,and caddy,s style nowdays does nothing for me,,,just dont think the modern styles,,are appealing at all...bob