I want to Buy a Fire Truck

Chief501

Gentlemen,

I am new here, so I need some help. My fire station has a 1978 / 2005 Mack CF Engine that is going to go to the salvage yard in about 3 weeks unless someone comes up with $5,000 to buy it. They say that is what they can get for the scrap metal. I am the former fire chief, and I would like to save the truck from the scrap heap. They already dit it to a 1970 / 1990 Mack CF Tanker. What a waste. My question is this ..... is it worth $5,000? Please help.

Dan

I just bought a just out of service 1972 CF719 for $2800. I think that was a good price for what I got. I would not have paid $5000 for it. If it is worth it to you then buy it. $3500 would not be a bad price. If it is really nice, $5000 would be a great price, meaning very good tires, no rust, great paint, enough equipment to make it look complete from the outside. Mine has some rust holes and is missing some equipment. There are a lot of CF's for sale right now as well as other fire trucks. I agree with what FWD said. It would be great to save this truck, but you can't save them all.

Good Luck,

Mike

I just bought a just out of service 1972 CF719 for $2800. I think that was a good price for what I got. I would not have paid $5000 for it. If it is worth it to you then buy it. $3500 would not be a bad price. If it is really nice, $5000 would be a great price, meaning very good tires, no rust, great paint, enough equipment to make it look complete from the outside. Mine has some rust holes and is missing some equipment. There are a lot of CF's for sale right now as well as other fire trucks. I agree with what FWD said. It would be great to save this truck, but you can't save them all.

Good Luck,

Mike

A CF719???That's gotta be a rare one.When do we get to see it??

Hello,

A wise person told me somthing is only worth what some one is willing to pay for it. Its been my experiance that fire departments complain about how bad thier old rigs are. when they get thier new rig and want to sell the old one. At that time they say how good the old rig is and ask way to much money. After nobody shows an interest in over paying for thier truck they wind up selling it to a scraper who dismantles and recycles it. Once this happens the rig is gone forever. You should have the rig weighed and pay the fire department scrap value. Make sure you explain to them that you are trying to preserve a piece of the fire companies history. You could also let them know that if they request of you, with reasonable advanced notice, the rig could return back for parades and other fire department functions. Also you could add a stipulation that in the event you want to sell it they get the option of buying it back. Its frustrating when I speak to fireman who talk about thir old equipment that went to the scrapper. If your looking for just a CF their are a lot of reasonably priced rigs out their. I'm sure being a past chief you would specifically want one that has sentimantal value to you. I hope you are able to bring your department to thier senses and get the rig from them.

Best of Luck, Keep us posted

Don Holden

The value of CF's is strictly based on their condition because they are so common. By 1978/2005 I assume you mean the rig was rehabbed in 2005. If so did they use aluminum or stainless steel to replace the body? Either will greatly increase the scrap value.

An acquitance just bought a really nice CF that the volunteers had put $60k into just a few years ago for $3200.00 if that helps set the price. Diesel/Automatic tranny, very low mileage might raise it a little.

If it was rehabbed it should be in really good condition and as such should command anywhere from $3000.00 to $5000.00 depending on how much you want the truck and what equipment it has on it. The bell alone can bring $1000.00 for example.

Most rigs that are bought fresh out of the station should come to the collector fully equipped since the replacement rig is already in-service and the equipment was not needed for the new truck. What often happens is someone decides they might need the ladders, hard sleeves, etc. down the road so they take them off. They stay in the station for a few years and then get sold at a flea market for nothing or get thrown out. When factory issued equipment is removed, including the bell, it greatly devalues the truck and truly does make it only scrap value.

As a new collector you have to understand that fire trucks in general do not have any great value. They are too big to store and too slow to drive for the average collector. In my opinion the only way to look at the purchase of an antique fire truck is to put into the same category as another toy such as a boat you might buy. No one ever made money buying and selling a boat and your truck will probably turn out the same.

I assume you have a place to store it. If you don't consider the cost of renting space as well. If you plan on keeping it outside it will be worthless to any serious collector in less than a year except as a parts piece.

So, if the truck has value to you and you have the asking price; buy it. If it turns out to be a mistake the most you will lose is probably half of what you paid. Not a big deal in my mind if you get pleasure out of owning it and you want to preserve it. And if you do buy it welcome to the club of the certified insane.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Could you get a few people together and pool resources? I know that retired firefighters' associations or relief associations will buy a retired department truck

and use it for parades, funerals, P.R., etc. While you as an individual may not have full ownership of it, you will be preserving a piece of your department's history.

There are many departments that have sold off old apparatus and then years later wished that they had that apparatus back. Good luck trying to preserve this

engine.

bulldogboy

I agree that $5K in scrap is kinda high. I just purchased a '77 CF that was in good condition with all the lights, siren, ladders, manuals and service records for a little over $4K. I had several requirements that needed to be met before purchasing.....it had to be at least 35 years old, a diesel, mostly complete, in decent condition both mechanically & cosmeticly, one Owner and close to where I live. I also set a limit on how much I was willing to spend for a toy. I think I got a good truck for a fair price just under my budget. Yes, I could have continued to look and maybe found an older truck in the same or better condition for less money but I'll bet it would not have been close to home. Having a truck delivered from over 1,000 miles (or more) away can cost lots of dollars. If the truck is complete or mostly complete and in good condition, make an offer less than what you are willing to pay. You can always increase the offer or 'split the difference' of what they are willing to accept and your top offer. Good luck and post the outcome.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

If somebody else posted this, sorry, if not here it is. Seems like there should be some buzz about it, especially being an ex FDNY truck. Somebody told me today it was sitting at Wengers in Myerstown, don't know if it is this truck or another.

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/3190555738.html

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Gentlemen,

I am new here, so I need some help. My fire station has a 1978 / 2005 Mack CF Engine that is going to go to the salvage yard in about 3 weeks unless someone comes up with $5,000 to buy it. They say that is what they can get for the scrap metal. I am the former fire chief, and I would like to save the truck from the scrap heap. They already dit it to a 1970 / 1990 Mack CF Tanker. What a waste. My question is this ..... is it worth $5,000? Please help.

Dan

thats really wierd,,,i always thought they had city auctions for stuff like that,,,where u could buy old equipment for almost nothing...must be part of the ole get stupid,,get hurt,,,sue the city deals.i guess.bob

Hey 78 Hahn, How about you go to the Intro forum and tell us about yourself. At least two of us on here have Hahns. I have a 1964. Lets see some pictures of yours. I live near Pottstown Pa.

Mike

You dont want to hear about him......lol just kidding....I'll vouch for him, for what thats worth,,,,,,,

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

thats really wierd,,,i always thought they had city auctions for stuff like that,,,where u could buy old equipment for almost nothing...must be part of the ole get stupid,,get hurt,,,sue the city deals.i guess.bob

Probably a volly FD that is incorportated unto itself and has no administrative attachment to the municipality other than they provide the fire protection- a very common thing in many eastern and northeastern states, They, and cities too these days want every dollar they can get for old equipment, and if that means the scrapper to get as much as they can, so be it is their attitude.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

someone bought this one already. it is Ex-FDNY L157. new owner emailed me for photos.

If somebody else posted this, sorry, if not here it is. Seems like there should be some buzz about it, especially being an ex FDNY truck. Somebody told me today it was sitting at Wengers in Myerstown, don't know if it is this truck or another.

http://lancaster.cra...3190555738.html