1950s LS 85 Fire Truck Price?

Loadstar

Found the Craigslist ad for the L Model. You can see "Kittery" on the back of the engine. Kittery had, if my old memory serves me, this L Model and an equally pristene B Model that sold for large money when they got rid of it. Can't remember specifics but it was back when Mack guru Mel Clark was still with us.

Edited by firemack296

Well just got back........not as nice as I thought......but I have'nt really seen to many. Rear driver side fender junk.......water tank holy.....chrome needs attention.....paint pretty good.....runs good.......couldn't drive it yet.....long story.....spotlight missing on back.....seats need to be re-done.........only rust on the truck was on the bottom of each door jamb where you open the doors....the doors themselves were nice ......batteries dead.....pump unknown still.....I don't know what do you think????????

It's in north jersey.....here's the b.s. Story.....guy lists it on craigslist....he knows the company who owns the truck....I play phone tag with this moron for a month and a half.....finally set up a day to see and DRIVE the truck 10 am monday morning.......take 4 hour drive to get there....get there early.....the address is a hardware store parking lot?.....wait until ten and call him......doesn't answer....he calls back a little while later and asks if I could burn a couple hours until he can show me the truck.....so took the kids to the toy store......finally we hook up......actual owner of the truck is a beverage distributor......the moron takes me to an office and asks to speak to the fleet manager who apparently had no clue we were coming.....shows me the truck which can't be moved.There's stuff blocking the overhead door......in front of the truck is a fully restored Mack B fire truck so even putting the pumps in was frowned upon. The manager says to me I would have had it outside and running had I known you were coming!!!!! As far as price thats yet to be determined.....somewhere under 10k.....i'm suppose to call back tomorrow.....but to have somebody who knows these truck would be huge.......but gaining access is difficult at best.....if I end up going back and someone is willing to look at it with me that would be awesome.....i might go back wednesday if the price is right.......a member of the forum offered to haul it at a very good price....Thanks

Found the Craigslist ad for the L Model. You can see "Kittery" on the back of the engine. Kittery had, if my old memory serves me, this L Model and an equally pristene B Model that sold for large money when they got rid of it. Can't remember specifics but it was back when Mack guru Mel Clark was still with us.

The Kittery, ME Mack "B" was Engine 2, 1000/750, semi-cab. Kittery also has Engine 2, a 1983 "CF" 1250/750 pumper and Tanker 5, a 2008 "Granite"/KME 1250/3000.

Pictures on www.firenews.org, Department List, Maine, Kittery.

bulldogboy

If I went and looked at it with you it would have to be a saturday or a sunday. Where in North Jersey, thats a pretty big place....lol.....If you can make arrangements to get it out, and tell the guy you want to see the pump running and we'll need the water tank full or access to a hydrant with adapters (or a spot where we could draft with hard sleeves, adapters and a nozzle or two) that would also be helpful.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Louie,

Run, don't walk away unless the price is way south of 5K. Just fixing the items you described will be 10K or more. There will be another.

Carl

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

I hate to be suspicious, however I strongly suspect that the "gentleman" that advertised the truck on Craigslist was trying to make himself a quick bunch of money. The original ad said $18,000 if I recall correctly. The man in charge tells you price has not been determined yet but under 10K.

Any idea where the restored B model was from??

Use caution and, as the members said, check everything carefully or have a qualified fire truck guy/mechanic check it with you.

Good luck.

well, went back today to actually drive the truck and see it in the daylight......not a dark warehouse......got rid of the middle man....spent a couple of hours with the actual fleet mechanic.....went over everything. The truck is or was owned by a huge beer distributor who had their own crew of mechanics.....i was given over 10K worth of receipts for work done on this truck....Drove really nice ....met the man who actually went with the owner to buy both trucks 20 years ago....Totally different experience from the first day......pulled the trigger at 5500. now to get her home......certainly would have over paid if it wasnt for all of you......Thanks......I'll try to down load some pics..

Congratulations!!! I think that was a good buy. The bell with the proper mount alone is worth over a grand. BTW, I don't know exactly where you are but in Easton, MA there is a good fire truck shop, Mercier Garage, Fred Mercier and his crew are very good and fair.

That rear spotlight should be easy to find, if you find one without the Mack logo on top, I might have a source for one.

The chrome looks decent from the photos. I would recommend a polish like Flitz or Maas which are lower in abrasives than Simichrome.

I'm sure getting it home will be an interesting experience also.

BTW, do they want to sell the B model???

Edited by firemack296

No the model B isn't for sale but they also said they don't use it much.....the manager said they have a ton of money invested in it....but you never know maybe sometime in the future......it's probably the only B with a built in cooler with beer taps on the side! I know they paid 18k for both trucks 20 years ago from somewhere in N.J. I am looking for someone to haul the truck back if you know of anyone....

you got a great deal on that mack, that wooden folding ladder worth at least $500., my L HAS has the compartment under both doors that has a 21/2 intake (not many like it) in the day they had a short section of hose and 1 ff could hook to a hydrant by himself very fast., looks like it just needs a waxing, good luck with it

I have used JOHNSON TOWING in burlington county n.j. before the have large flat bed equipment, you might also try matt pfahls in ct. he comes down into jersey offen maybe coming down with a truck and could take yours back. he specializes in macks ,his number is advertized on this site or goggle it.

I don't know exactly where you are but in Easton, MA there is a good fire truck shop, Mercier Garage, Fred Mercier and his crew are very good and fair.

I concur with this statement. I just dealt with Fred a few months ago, he has a bunch of NOS Waukesha parts, and sold me a full overhaul gasket set for my 140GZ Waukesha. Very nice guy, very knowledgeable.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Very nice!! Enjoy it! Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

No the model B isn't for sale but they also said they don't use it much.....the manager said they have a ton of money invested in it....but you never know maybe sometime in the future......it's probably the only B with a built in cooler with beer taps on the side! I know they paid 18k for both trucks 20 years ago from somewhere in N.J. I am looking for someone to haul the truck back if you know of anyone....

A "B" model with a cooler and beer taps!! That would have come in handy at brush fires back in the day.

bulldogboy