1950s LS 85 Fire Truck Price?

Loadstar

Hi, New to this site........I'm a firefighter in southern Mass. I came across a 50s Mack LS-85 For sale. The truck is registered and running and supposedly in good condition. Wondering what you guys think a good price would be ? I know it's hard without seeing it but just looking for a ballpark figure? I figured it would be something cool to enjoy with my sons. Any suggestion would be appreciated......Thanks

The price of any rig really depends on rarity and condition. Semi-open cab LS-85's are not all that rare, so the price is driven primarily by condition for this truck. The only way to determine condition is to look at it in person, drive it, pump it, and check out what tools and accesories are on it.

If it is rust free, runs and pumps well with good oil pressure and doesn't overheat, good overall paint, has good real gold leaf, bell, red lights, siren, small tools all in place and working would place it at an 7 to a 8 out of 10. New paint with real gold leaf and all other conditions as the first example would make it a 8 to 9 out of 10. The 10 is total restoration, which means every nut and bolt is turned and every component is brought back to factory fresh.

A 7 to 8 should bring 6 to 10K. An 8 to 9 should bring 8 to 12k tops. A total restoration will cost the owner upwards of 100k and would sell in the 20k to who knows range.

A friend recently bought an LS85 that had fifty year old paint, was missing the bell, ran great, and has a solid body. He paid 4k for it.

In the end any truck sells for what the buyer is willing to pay. Buying is almost always an emotional decision based on how much you love the truck. As long as you realize that you will not make money on the purchase and you view it as you would a boat purchase for example you should buy it if the price seems reasonable to you despite what any of us tells you.

Send me a pm if you want my e-mail and cell phone number to ask any questions you have while you are looking at the truck.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

man that sucker is clean,,,i would say atleast $6000-$7000 doesnt look like it needs anything,,good luck,and welcome to the site enjoy bob

Exactly....it LOOKS clean, I would like to see better pictures of the whole thing including the running boards, the wheel wells, etc. And fxfymn hit everything I was going to say....

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I agree with Fxfymn above. Pay particular attention to the engine. Parts are hard to find and the engines even with low mileage are generally used up. If a rebuild were needed you could be looking at $3500 in parts and $3000 in machine work. If you can't do the balance of the work you will need to pay for several weeks of labor to get it all apart and then back together. You can outspend the value of the truck quickly. A compression test is strongly recommended.

Greg

• Like 1

And never buy based in a picture unless it is an absolute steal (say 2k for this truck). They always look better in a picture than they do in person. Paint runs and sags, pitted chrome, missing tools, incorrect extinguishers and tools, etc. never show up in a picture.

For example it will cost north of 1k just to re-plate the radiator shell if it is already rusty or pitted. Trust me, you can put 8 to 10k in a truck that was pretty nice to begin with just in chrome, brakes, and a few small repairs. You have to go look at it to determine the true condition.

And by the way; where is the IH in your picture from? We had a similar rig in Ashland, MA when I was a kid there.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks to everyone for the advice....it will go a long way in making a decision. The guy emailed me the build sheets ..........just waiting to hear back about the current condition. Hopefully next week i can go check it out. If it still has the original engine its a 707b..Is that a faily solid engine? The International in the picture is from Amherst New Hampshire....Engine 4. Thanks again for the Help.

I have a 54 LS 85 ,had it for 3 yrs, took 2 yrs to total restore , price you pay depends on the general condition of the truck , but if it is not on e-bay ,start low and you can always come up in price, it looks like it is a 1000gpm (4 -21/2 discharges) some had a Hall-Scott engine because of the larger pump also more rare and uses more fuel!!! we did put a power steering unit on the engine for easy of driving and a 400 gal poly tank to replace the steel one that had 40 holes in it. my e-mail address is hinoki22@comcast.net and I'll send a large photo of it. It's a trophy winner!!

The LS 85 might be from kittery....the build sheet says it was shipped to Portland maine. If it is from there, does anyone know anything about it? Seems to me a town like that would have held on to it. Bulldogboy The Amherst truck is Awd....750 gal. Pump 300 gallon tank....just over 10k miles....how do you know so much about it? Thanks again for the input. My email is miraarchery@comcast.net Picture of the trophy winner would be great.

I didn't think that the specs I saw on Amherst Engine 4 sounded right; the truck is too small for 2000 gallons. There is a picture of it on www.firenews.org

Department List, NH, Amherst. Amherst and Lyndeborough designed them to be source pumpers. Lyndeborough is very rural with no public water supply

and Amherst still has areas of no public water supply. I'm from New England so I know a little (very little) about some departments.

bulldogboy

Loadstar,

The 707B was a strong engine, as long as it was maintained. Check the compression and oil pressure against the specs, and also make sure the radiator and cooling system are in good shape. the radiator can be about $1400 to replace, so want to check it out before you make the offer, FXFYMN hit most of the points to check. Keep us posted after you see it in person.

Firemack

I will certainly keep you guys up to date. Thanks again for the advice........Im starting to believe its the mack from kittery ME. Has anyone ever seen this truck before?

If you have the serial number you can call the Mack museum archives and confirm who it was originally delivered to.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Well, I have a 1948 LS-85 (see photo) and can tell you that there are no parts that are either easy to find, nor inexpensive. If the truck you are looking at has hydraulic brakes, then just replacing the wheel cylinders with remanufactured stainless steel ones will cost you at least $1500 plus labor. If it has air brakes, and teh diaphragms need replacement, good luck finding ones. Some parts are interchangable with road trucks, some not. The build sheets are a real asset because they frequently have sufficient part numbers to trace the interchangable ones. Now, as to price, a comment was made about semiopen cabs being fairly common, which is true. But, the key issue is the condition of the electrial and the mechanicals -- that's where the bucks are. While the 707 was unquestionnably a tough motor, finding a head and a CORRECT manifold can be daunting and VERY expensive. A rebuild will average $5000 for the motor, provided you do not need major parts. I can guarantee you thet the fuel pump will likely need replacing -- if you replace it with an electric, be sure to wire it to shut off when the ignition shuts off -- a B that I was about to purchase became a total loss because the owner replaced the fuel pump with an electric and mis-wired it, and POOF! Total loss. By the way, if it does have air brakes and has been sitting as long as it seems, check for cracking of the drain nipples at the drain valves on the tanks. A former Mack mechanic pointed out that the weld to the tank is a weak spot in some. Good luck with this.

Art Lawrence

arthur.lawrence@firetruck.com

Gaithersburg, MD

• 2 weeks later...